• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm terrified he's going to die

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
Last time I had a bunny poorly and on recovery food she died even though I did everything. What if the same happens again :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I know how worrying it is to have a poorly bunny, but try not to panic as buns can pick up on our anxieties. How is he seeming at the moment?

metaclop metacam and zantec or whatever that ones called

I've just looked at your other thread, I honestly don't think you should be feeling quite so despondent yet, you've done what you can do - as long as he is drinking and has access to all his favourite things to eat and hay etc the best thing you can do is put him with his partner and leave them to rest, act as normal as possible and don't keep an eye on him all night, your really in danger of creating a problem if you start getting upset at this stage - he will sense it, they rely on their senses and can pick up vibes easily. It's just my opinion but I think you need to chill out and relax knowing he has what he needs and is not in pain, get some sleep and check for output in the morning, if he's still not right but, drinking then ring the vet as perhaps the teeth need doing sooner rather than later but I wouldn't upset yourself like this yet. It can take a few hours for them to perk up in my experience after vet treatment and being observed by an upset owner doesn't help (hugs) :)

I've just looked at your other thread, I honestly don't think you should be feeling quite so despondent yet, you've done what you can do - as long as he is drinking and has access to all his favourite things to eat and hay etc the best thing you can do is put him with his partner and leave them to rest, act as normal as possible and don't keep an eye on him all night, your really in danger of creating a problem if you start getting upset at this stage - he will sense it, they rely on their senses and can pick up vibes easily. It's just my opinion but I think you need to chill out and relax knowing he has what he needs and is not in pain, get some sleep and check for output in the morning, if he's still not right but, drinking then ring the vet as perhaps the teeth need doing sooner rather than later but I wouldn't upset yourself like this yet.:)

I'm gonna have to disturn him in the night to syringe feed aren't I?
I'm doing a feed at about midnight and then I'm gonna put him back into bed and attempt to sleep for a bit.

I'm only upset because it feels like de ja vu. Mable took ill and once she stopped eatnig she never got better

I'm gonna have to disturn him in the night to syringe feed aren't I?
I'm doing a feed at about midnight and then I'm gonna put him back into bed and attempt to sleep for a bit.

I'm only upset because it feels like de ja vu. Mable took ill and once she stopped eatnig she never got better

The thing is he is drinking, I'd leave it now till about 5am and then check him, give him an hour to come round and wake up etc and if no improvement do a small syringe feed and ring the vet again, if he wasn't drinking I'd say it was more critical but the fluids are good and as long as he has access to his food and hay and water he will do what he wants in his own time, they aren't stupid, I'm not a fan of force feeding especially if he hasn't been xrayed, it's just my advice on what I'd do - you have to do what you think but personally waking him up to syringe him when he might not want it is potentially more harmful IMO. Try and think positive he is not Mable he's a different rabbit so there's every chance this will be completely different.

Sending huge, huge vibes. And massive hugs.
smiley-hug001.gif
.xxxxxxxxxx

you caught it early though....and you're doing everything you can for him.
have a cup of tea and try to calm down. I know it's easier said than done......when Blue was in stasis Rosie was ab out 10 weeks old and wanted feeding every 2 hours as well :shock: and I was a m ess.
Loads of vib es co ming your way x

The thing is he is drinking, I'd leave it now till about 5am and then check him, give him an hour to come round and wake up etc and if no improvement do a small syringe feed and ring the vet again, if he wasn't drinking I'd say it was more critical but the fluids are good and as long as he has access to his food and hay and water he will do what he wants in his own time, they aren't stupid, I'm not a fan of force feeding especially if he hasn't been xrayed, it's just my advice on what I'd do - you have to do what you think but personally waking him up to syringe him when he might not want it is potentially more harmful IMO. Try and think positive he is not Mable he's a different rabbit so there's every chance this will be completely different.

I don't want to leave him that long without food though. He takes the recovery food happily enough once the syringe is in his mouth, he's not spitting it out so Id rather keep doing it. I can't leave him without food. I just don't know how often.

He's laid out half flopped. Not doing much, but not acting in pain either.

I don't want to leave him that long without food though. He takes the recovery food happily enough once the syringe is in his mouth, he's not spitting it out so Id rather keep doing it. I can't leave him without food. I just don't know how often.

He's laid out half flopped. Not doing much, but not acting in pain either.

Thats your call then, as I said I wouldn't if he's drinking and has had treatment etc I'd leave it till early morning. I hope it works out alright, best of luck, hope he perks up and feels better soon.

Thats your call then, as I said I wouldn't if he's drinking and has had treatment etc I'd leave it till early morning. I hope it works out alright, best of luck, hope he perks up and feels better soon.

PERSONALLY I would leave some yummies out for him, then check if they've gone at 2-3. However, this only works if wifey isn't with him. If she is then I would get up and offer him yummies, if he doesn't take them then syringe him.
If he is drinking then maybe don't worry too much

PERSONALLY I would leave some yummies out for him, then check if they've gone at 2-3. However, this only works if wifey isn't with him. If she is then I would get up and offer him yummies, if he doesn't take them then syringe him.
If he is drinking then maybe don't worry too much

How often would you offer food and then syringe?

I'm sorry to read Charlie is poorly Steph. Sending vibes for him. Come on little man, stop worrying your mum and eat some nice noms. Have you got any dandelions Steph? I always find dandelions and/or grass useful at times like this. And whatever his fave veggies are. :) A small amount of grated apple has also tempted them in the past when nothing else would, but I havent read his thread yet as to what the reason is but if the onset of stasis, then I have found something yummy like apple does help but grated because they arent in the mood for chewing etc. Or pear. But not too much because of the sugars upsetting their system even more.

Try to keep calm - I know its easier said than done though so hugs for you.

I'm sorry to read Charlie is poorly Steph. Sending vibes for him. Come on little man, stop worrying your mum and eat some nice noms. Have you got any dandelions Steph? I always find dandelions and/or grass useful at times like this. And whatever his fave veggies are. :) A small amount of grated apple has also tempted them in the past when nothing else would, but I havent read his thread yet as to what the reason is but if the onset of stasis, then I have found something yummy like apple does help but grated because they arent in the mood for chewing etc. Or pear. But not too much because of the sugars upsetting their system even more.

Try to keep calm - I know its easier said than done though so hugs for you.

Charlie won't eat fruit/veg. He'll only eat carrot, cabbage and brocolli and we have none of that in

Back