• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing Hay

abi2047

Mama Doe
This may be a bit of a stupid question but, if I buy a bale of hay (which will work out cheaper), can I store it in bin bags or would it go 'off'?

I think bin bags may split when you're filling them. I no plastic isn;t the best thing to store them in :/ Not sure tbh. I store minj in plastic boxes that have loose lids so it keeps the rain out but gentle circulation of air.

This may be a bit of a stupid question but, if I buy a bale of hay (which will work out cheaper), can I store it in bin bags or would it go 'off'?

I think something like a duvet cover is better as the hay can breathe. That's assuming it is in a shed or indoors?

I think bin bags may split when you're filling them. I no plastic isn;t the best thing to store them in :/ Not sure tbh. I store minj in plastic boxes that have loose lids so it keeps the rain out but gentle circulation of air.

Does the wind not blow the lids off?

I think something like a duvet cover is better as the hay can breathe. That's assuming it is in a shed or indoors?

No. The outhouse is full up, so it will need to be something waterproof. Think i'll look into storage boxes.

No. The outhouse is full up, so it will need to be something waterproof. Think i'll look into storage boxes.

It's securely locked on, but they're "cheap" boxes so the lids don't fit properly ;) I always open the boxes and give a good stir ever other week though :)

I use a garden cushion storage box BUT I wouldn't trust it outside, ours lives in a garage. I'd worry if it was in the sun about condensation and in winter that rain would get in there. Also there are mice and rats to consider.

I break my bales down and store it in empty Megazorb sacks in the shed, bringing a bag into the house to use as and when. I've stored hay in bin bags too and never had a problem.

I break my bales down and store it in empty Megazorb sacks in the shed, bringing a bag into the house to use as and when. I've stored hay in bin bags too and never had a problem.

I think megazorb sacks are better than bin bags as they have some sort of weave to them and allow the contents to breathe. :)

Back