• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday Care for the Rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
I might be going on holiday in July for 2 weeks (My Mum wants to go but hasn't booked anything yet) and last time we went on holiday my neighbour looked after the guinea-pigs, but I don't know if I want her to look after the rabbits. She's really nice and takes great care of the pets, its just she doesn't have rabbits or know very much about them so I'd be worried in case they got ill or something like that she might not know what to do. I've had a look at boarding but I don't drive (and Mum doesn't want to drive me far) and all boarding places are a bit more than I can afford. Even if I started saving now, I probably wouldn't have enough for most of the boarding places. I'm not sure what to do :? Should I leave my neighbour some leaflets or something? I'd still be nervous about leaving the rabbits but if she had leaflets and the vets number do you think that would be ok?
I'm in Haslemere, Surrey

Last edited:
Maybe there's and RU'er local to you who could pop in and spend some time with them whilst you are away, maybe edit your first post and put your area in.

My OHs mother is looking after our buns and pigs whilst we are away, in her spare room. I will be leaving her strict timetabled instructions!

Depending on how much money you have to care for them. Animal Angels will come in and care for them for you. Also if you ask on RU there may be someone local willing to drop in and help you or take the buns for a week maybe.

If you can't afford the boarding then the next best thing would be to "train up" your animal friendly neighbour to care for the rabbits, let her get to know them, show her their routine and what to look for and what to do if she is worried about them in any way.

I would always want to have a back up plan though, we were away once and the in laws were looking after our house rabbit but they were called away to Ireland when a close relative died, luckily my sister in law who had rabbits of her own stepped in otherwise it would have been a bit tricky for Sweep. They aren't very good at doing as they are told either and gave him half an apple every day thinking they were being kind to him! They then complained that he smelled! Well they were feeding him something that wasn't on his diet sheet!

I have always left a sheet of written instructions on feeding/ cleaning etc specific to my buns when my best friend minded them.

I also left a blank cheque made out to my vets for any emergencies and the tel no and address of my vet.
(She is an intelligent woman and I probably didn't need to but I felt better doing so and she wasn't in the least offended)

I would do the same for a neighbour.

sue:wave:

Back