• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fleas

rachylou

Warren Veteran
A few quick questions about fleas...

Can humans transport fleas?
Can fleas live on inanamate objects such as baby gates/ phones/ chairs/ bedding, car seats etc?
Can fleas be spread via this type of senerio... Going to see someone wit a cat who could possibly have had fleas, got in the car drove home then 2 days later got back in to the car, could the fleas be re positioned on to the person that way?

I think cat flea eggs can be moved from house to house on clothes. So if you sat on a chair that the cat had been on you might have picked up some of the eggs. As far as I know they can hatch out in carpets, sofa etc.

I think cat flea eggs can be moved from house to house on clothes. So if you sat on a chair that the cat had been on you might have picked up some of the eggs. As far as I know they can hatch out in carpets, sofa etc.

:shock:

This ^^ Also you can carry eggs on your feet, as disgusting as I know it sounds. Fleas prefer to lay their eggs in the carpet, so although you might notice adult fleas on inanimate objects, there won't be any eggs there, chairs bedding and car seats are a possibility tho.

If you found fleas on yourself after getting back in the car 2 days later theres a chance you transported either adult fleas, or eggs to your car and they hatched there. You can use household flea treatments in your car, just don't over do it and air it out for several hours.

Fleas can be transported from one area to another and they can lie dormant for two weeks!

I know this because years ago i moved into a flat, the previous owner moved out roughly 2 weeks before us, had cats and the place was hopping with fleas everywhere! had to get the flat fumeagated (sp)

The insect guy who got rid of the fleas told us that they can hide in your clothes, carpet etc for weeks :oops:

they really like carpets best

And crevices in the skirting boards. However, you can get household flea sprays that are extremely effective and the residual effect can last up to 12 months. I always use Zodiac on the house and despite the dogs going out so coming into contact with places where fleas could be, I haven't seen fleas on my dogs for at least 4 years despite never flea treating the dogs.

If you have house bunnies, obviously double check any household flea treatment you use is rabbit safe.

They won't live or lay eggs on things like baby gates or phones, but would be very happy in any soft furnishings like sofas (you can treat them with the same household flea spray), bedding (washing on a high temperature on the same day as you treat the house and clothes (don't worry about those as the very few eggs there possibly may be will be dealt with next time you wash the clothes or the household spray when they either fall off or hatch).

Horrible things - I feel itchy just thinking about them!

If I am itchy does that mean I have fleas or could it just be the thought of the possibility of fleas?

Back