• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need to make a diggy box...without the mess!

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,

I feel like my buns diggy box (currently full of a mix of hay/litter/shredded paper) is more 'burrowy' than 'diggy'. I'd like to get something with soil.

However - I'm moving back home to my moms and she is a total neat freak (house is basically a show home, not one thing out of place). So I need some way to make it so that they can't make a huge mess with it. I was thinking some kind of large tray underneath? But I want the tray to be big enough so they can both get in there if they want, and then how am I supposed to get a large tray to go under that? Where do they even make them :lol:!?

So, any suggestions etc?

I was thinking of putting tarp down and the box on top of that, but that'd take up most of their shed or most of their run, and I don't want it to be a toy exclusively for when they're free-roaming the garden

What I would do is make it out of wood, that way it can be as big as you want and you can pick up wood pretty cheap really... Depends how hand you are at DIY!?

What I would do is make it out of wood, that way it can be as big as you want and you can pick up wood pretty cheap really... Depends how hand you are at DIY!?

I'm not bad, just might be a lot of swearing :lol:!

So you reckon make the tray underneath from wood, then put in a tray for the soil? I'd plan on making a high-walled box for around the inner box, but then there would have to be an entrance and I bet that's the direction they'll dig it out of :censored:! Or I guess alternatively place it near their shelf and don't make an exit, they have to jump in and out? That could work!

It's difficult knowing how big to go with the boxes... I'd like it as big as possible but I don't want to take away running room in their shed...

I'd go for as deep a box as they can get into safely and only half fill it. That way not too much should fly over the sides. It'd have to be pretty deep though I reckon, as Freya kicks the soil out everywhere when he uses hers. I'd also go for dampish topsoil inside. I let the first lot I put in dry out too much, so when Freya went in clouds of dust came out. I think that compost would probably fly out everywhere because it is so light.

Hmm, I wonder if you could make something that they can enter and exit via a ramp, that way it could be pretty deep. Hmm, I guess there's the worry of them falling in, or jumping off the side and falling. *scratches chin*

Yes, make the tray out of wood and the box would probably bs bes bought, knowing me it would leak soil or something!!

I don't think a tray would be too difficult...

I'd go for as deep a box as they can get into safely and only half fill it. That way not too much should fly over the sides. It'd have to be pretty deep though I reckon, as Freya kicks the soil out everywhere when he uses hers. I'd also go for dampish topsoil inside. I let the first lot I put in dry out too much, so when Freya went in clouds of dust came out. I think that compost would probably fly out everywhere because it is so light.

Hmm, I wonder if you could make something that they can enter and exit via a ramp, that way it could be pretty deep. Hmm, I guess there's the worry of them falling in, or jumping off the side and falling. *scratches chin*

Thanks for the tips on what kind of soil to use, that's really useful :D Do you replace yours every so often, or just sprinkle some water on if it gets dry?

Yes, make the tray out of wood and the box would probably bs bes bought, knowing me it would leak soil or something!!

I don't think a tray would be too difficult...

True, better buy the inner tray! It shouldn't be too hard to make the outer tray, it's just obtaining the wood which is a pain! Oh well, I'll have to get them to deliver it :lol:

I'll put it on my to-do list, I'll probably do it in 3/4 weeks or so! I guess 5.5mm plywood would be thick enough, it's not as if it's gonna snap easily is it? Also that's good because it should theoretically be light enough to carry then!

How about a dog bath like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-DEEP-PLASTIC-WATER-DOG-BATH-TUB-130-LTR-GROOMING-/290527839933?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item43a4cf06bd
I have one outdoors. As long as you only fill it half full there shouldn't be too much mess due to the high sides.

Oh fab, thanks for the link :D I never thought about anything like that. That one is a little too big, but I'm sure they make smaller ones!

I'm currently looking up wooden crates on eBay, trying to find a high-sided one to save me having to make it myself :lol:

Back