• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging boxes

beki

Mama Doe
I discovered yesterday that one of my rabbits likes digging! whilst cleaning the hutch I had moved the run to an area of patio with a hole in the slabs where there is just soil as we had pulled a shrub out of it that had been growing there.

Anyway I left the buns to play for a few hours, and when I came back one of them (or both) had dug a huge pile of soil out! fortunately they couldn't get out of the run because of all of the slabs and the slabs being on a raised platform (so no way out unless they go really really deep). I panicked a bit because I had been checking them out of the upstairs window from time to time and hadn't noticed this happening.

Anyway, I have filled the hole in and put bricks on top so they can't do it again. From the looks of their feet i think it was reggie (muddy feet) - not the bunny I expected to be a digger as he doesn't do much at all, he likes to sit and ponder life and sit some more. Ruby is the naughty one who is into everything.

Anyway so I thought I would make them a digging box. Will a box filled with just soil be OK? I don't think he would bother with a box of megazorb as he doesn't dig in his litter tray or anything else in fact, I wonder if the soil brought about his bunny instinct.

I have a box about 10 inches deep, would this be OK filled to the top? or something shallower?

Ten inches deep will be fine I reckon :) I find that the length is more important so that they can get a good shovelling motion going and kick the soil out behind them, then do that strange thing with their front paws (we call it 'The Pushy' in our house!) :lol:

I only fill my box half way so Freya can get right inside it and bank the soil up on one side.

Buying Freya a large storage box and filling it with topsoil was one of the best things I've ever done for her. Really. It literally has changed her life! She binkys round the box in excitement, jumps in and starts major excavations. She is so funny :lol: :love: I've never seen her so active.

Of my other three outdoor buns, only Pickle (nethie) has shown an interest in the box (she rolls in it! :love:) which is just as well because Freya is almost constantly using it!

Ten inches deep will be fine I reckon :) I find that the length is more important so that they can get a good shovelling motion going and kick the soil out behind them, then do that strange thing with their front paws (we call it 'The Pushy' in our house!) :lol:

I only fill my box half way so Freya can get right inside it and bank the soil up on one side.

Buying Freya a large storage box and filling it with topsoil was one of the best things I've ever done for her. Really. It literally has changed her life! She binkys round the box in excitement, jumps in and starts major excavations. She is so funny :lol: :love: I've never seen her so active.

Of my other three outdoor buns, only Pickle (nethie) has shown an interest in the box (she rolls in it! :love:) which is just as well because Freya is almost constantly using it!

This post make me chuckle so much :lol:!

What are the rough dimensions of your diggy box if you don't mind me asking? :love:

thanks for the tips. I think a dog bath might be a bit big and take up too much space in the run, but it looks a great idea! maybe I could get a smaller one? Need to look out for a bigger box though as the one i have although it is deep, it is note really really big.

That sounds just :love::love::love: digging is just what bunnies were made for (just some have just forgotten it! :D)

Back