• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rescue buns have you had?

How many rescue buns have you had?

• None

Votes: 8 9.0%

Votes: 15 16.9%

Votes: 15 16.9%

Votes: 11 12.4%

Votes: 5 5.6%

Votes: 8 9.0%

Votes: 6 6.7%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• 11-20

• 21-30

• 31-40

• 41-50

• 51-60

• 61-70

• 71-80

• 81-90

• 91-100

• 100+

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Poll to follow?

What made you get a rescue bun or decide to take part in a rescue.

*Rescue buns from a rescue/sanctuary
* Given by a friend who could no longer care for them
* Found stray
* Neglected bun taken from a bad situation

Last edited:
I guess technically both our buns were rescue buns in a way.

We got Jimby in February 2009 when he was about 6 months old.
A friend of a friend was giving him up and was going to be taking him to the Pets at Home adoption center. We had lost our hammy Pippa 3 months before and I was still feeling extremely depressed about loosing her so the girl asked if we would like to take Jimby, which of cause I jumped to! SO glad we did!! He is my treasure! :love:

We looked in to reascuing a female bun to bond with Jimby, we thought it would be best to get a bun around the similar age to Jimby and also prefered the idea of getting a bun who had already been spayed.
Plus the idea of taking a bunny in who had been potentially abandoned and to be able to give the bunny a happy life really appealed to us.
So we had a look on the forum and found Cookie, we fell in love with her immedietly! She is a little darling and we are so glad we did take her in! :love:

6 - my current 6.

The first two started it all - Twinkle & Star. We adopted them from RNGPWelfare two years ago. I had wanted rabbits for a long time and after careful consideration and reading, we decided to do it. We didnt know of rabbit rescues at the time but assumed there must be some, so we rang a couple of places. We spoke to Tracy who happened to be having an open day the next weekend, so we went down....and the rest is history.... :D

Shortly after adopting them we came on RU for advice, and learned so much about rabbits, their needs, space etc, and just how many buns are in rescues and the awful experiences some of them, and the rescues and sanctuaries have. Its just gone from there really :)

Two, which were from friends who didn't care for them but I'm getting my newbie from a rescue on wednesday so I put three :D

I rescued Rodge froma friend who was going to set him free in a field.

I then adopted Sookie from a rescue but unfortunately died after a few months due to stomach problems.

Orla is my 2nd bun from a rescue & is happily settled with Rodge. :love:

I guess technically both our buns were rescue buns in a way.

We got Jimby in February 2009 when he was about 6 months old.
A friend of a friend was giving him up and was going to be taking him to the Pets at Home adoption center. We had lost our hammy Pippa 3 months before and I was still feeling extremely depressed about loosing her so the girl asked if we would like to take Jimby, which of cause I jumped to! SO glad we did!! He is my treasure! :love:

We looked in to reascuing a female bun to bond with Jimby, we thought it would be best to get a bun around the similar age to Jimby and also prefered the idea of getting a bun who had already been spayed.
Plus the idea of taking a bunny in who had been potentially abandoned and to be able to give the bunny a happy life really appealed to us.
So we had a look on the forum and found Cookie, we fell in love with her immedietly! She is a little darling and we are so glad we did take her in! :love:

Aww lovely story x

6 - my current 6.

The first two started it all - Twinkle & Star. We adopted them from RNGPWelfare two years ago. I had wanted rabbits for a long time and after careful consideration and reading, we decided to do it. We didnt know of rabbit rescues at the time but assumed there must be some, so we rang a couple of places. We spoke to Tracy who happened to be having an open day the next weekend, so we went down....and the rest is history.... :D

Shortly after adopting them we came on RU for advice, and learned so much about rabbits, their needs, space etc, and just how many buns are in rescues and the awful experiences some of them, and the rescues and sanctuaries have. Its just gone from there really :)

What made you choose a rescue over a pet shop? Did anything prompt you at all ?

i have voted 3.. Alvin, Pearl & Holly the only rabbits i have ever had in my life.

BUT im not 100% convinced the sanctuary Alvin came from really was one :? they said they rescued unwanted neighbours rabbits which sounded plausable at the time, Alvin was one of 3 litters that they claimed the dad got out and impregnated the moms while they free ranged again this sounded believable... the bit i struggle with is the no house check, the rescue website disappeared not long after we came home with Alvin, the litters were different ages (didnt register at the time) and they never replied to my update email about him :cry: so i have my doubts. not that i would change where he came from, just wish they hadn't faked it just to sell baby bunnies and me muppet fell for it :( we also travelled 40mins to get him, freeads had buns for sale much closer DOH!!

after having several 'petshop buns' and bad advice like; their 2 girls, only to find out later thay are infact one of each, before any disasters thankfully, and '3 sisters will live together happily' no mention of spaying and only when their ripping each other to pieces you realise thats not going to work!
Its only after finding this forum i actually learnt anything, my first rescue was an accidental one, i ended up with 5. my latest rescue was through a rescue and from now on that's the only way i will be adding to my family of buns.

i have voted 3.. Alvin, Pearl & Holly the only rabbits i have ever had in my life.

BUT im not 100% convinced the sanctuary Alvin came from really was one :? they said they rescued unwanted neighbours rabbits which sounded plausable at the time, Alvin was one of 3 litters that they claimed the dad got out and impregnated the moms while they free ranged again this sounded believable... the bit i struggle with is the no house check, the rescue website disappeared not long after we came home with Alvin, the litters were different ages (didnt register at the time) and they never replied to my update email about him :cry: so i have my doubts. not that i would change where he came from, just wish they hadn't faked it just to sell baby bunnies and me muppet fell for it :( we also travelled 40mins to get him, freeads had buns for sale much closer DOH!!

Aww glad that Alvin ended up with you. Did they charge you? Your not a muppet at all- you have your bun- that's just what had to happen for those circumstances that meant you and alvin ended up together :)

I take on 'special' bunnies that are unrehomable, generally. I've counted my foster as well because to me they are my own.

But

These are/were my permanents

Candyfloss
Summer (RIP)
Roger
Tilly (RIP)
Autumn
Rosie (RIP)
Wish
Flame
Fizz (RIP)

Fosters wise

Hazel-Flare (RIP)
Socks
Butterfly
Hay Monster
Little

All those bunnies would have likely been PTS had they not come to me (with the exception of Candyfloss who would likely have been a bounce back to the centre over and over due to being blind and 'difficult' but no one identified her blindness.

They all came from the RSPCA I volunteer with apart from Wish, Flame, Hazel-Flare, Fizz and Socks, who came from Kris.

3, although none of them were from actual rescue centres. One was from a family being moved to Germany (and came with a guinea pig), and Islay and Jura who came from an unwanted ad on Gumtree.

Aww glad that Alvin ended up with you. Did they charge you? Your not a muppet at all- you have your bun- that's just what had to happen for those circumstances that meant you and alvin ended up together :)

he was £15. Ste picked him really too :oops: i wanted the white splodgy one... altho the lad plonked him in my arms and he scratched me....found my demon and it was total love :lol: :lol: (on my side anyhows haha)

1, i'm classing Blossom as my rescue even though she wasn't from a rescue center. :)

When I found out about the way she was being kept, there was no doubt about it. i had to do something. :( She was kept in a hutch that she couldn't stand up in, never came out of it and it was filthy. She saw no daylight, never had exercise, had no toys and had no interaction. :cry: She got food chucked at her because apparently she was evil, (to be honest, i would be if I was treated like that) but she is so lovely and has never shown any aggression to me! :shock: When i got her she was just bone and it turned out she had spurs on her teeth stopping her from eating! :cry: She didn't actually have a name when she came to me!

Originally I was getting a baby dutch bun from a breeder to be a friend for jasper (then single) Sadly she passed away before I met her :( but I knew from then on which bun was mine and I just prayed that my aunty would agree to letting me have her and well it didn't take much persuasion! :roll:

It was lovely being able to bring Blossom home and show her what fun life can be, give her space and love and a name! :love: Sadly the bond between her and jasper never worked out and jasper actually bonded with my original 2 buns forming a trio so i now hope to bond her in to a 4 with them. :)

Rescuing blossom was one of the best and most rewarding things i've ever done and if i didn't rescue her, she wouldn't be alive today. :( Knowing that rescues rescue and take in buns in similar situations to blossom's makes me support them all the way and from now on I think I will only rescue animals from shelters or save them mself. :D

Wow this is a long post and one of the most passionate posts i've written. :oops:

Last edited:
I take on 'special' bunnies that are unrehomable, generally. I've counted my foster as well because to me they are my own.

But

These are/were my permanents

Candyfloss
Summer (RIP)
Roger
Tilly (RIP)
Autumn
Rosie (RIP)
Wish
Flame
Fizz (RIP)

Fosters wise

Hazel-Flare (RIP)
Socks
Butterfly
Hay Monster
Little

All those bunnies would have likely been PTS had they not come to me (with the exception of Candyfloss who would likely have been a bounce back to the centre over and over due to being blind and 'difficult' but no one identified her blindness.

They all came from the RSPCA I volunteer with apart from Wish, Flame, Hazel-Flare, Fizz and Socks, who came from Kris.

That's amazing Sky.Great job you are doing of fostering too. I bet the RSPCA think your a godsend! x

7 :)

Mainly because I went to work at a rescue centre... I already had 3 from P@H, 2 of which are aggressive...

I wasn't going to have any more until I worked there, I have only ever taken ones which were hard to rehome
Jack (RIP) Angora
Lily - Aggressive
Isabelle - Was 4 weeks old when bought in on her own... now has v.sensitive gut
Snoopy - Incisors were removed
Patch - Prolapsed rectum
Dexter - EC, head tilt with severe Uveitus
Jasper - Broken front leg but was very aggressive

That's amazing Sky.Great job you are doing of fostering too. I bet the RSPCA think your a godsend! x

:lol: I think more accurately, they think I'm an annoyance but I do all I do in the name of bunnies, so don't mind being an annoyance for them.

none. but any i have in the future will be rescues. :)

i didn't know about rescue bunnies so smudge, bisc and matt were from a breeder and patch was from someone who's rabbits had an accidental litter.

my piggies are rescues though :)

Back