PDA

View Full Version : How many rescue buns have you had?

Ambience
23-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Poll to follow?

What made you get a rescue bun or decide to take part in a rescue.

*Rescue buns from a rescue/sanctuary
* Given by a friend who could no longer care for them
* Found stray
* Neglected bun taken from a bad situation

rachylou
23-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I guess technically both our buns were rescue buns in a way.

We got Jimby in February 2009 when he was about 6 months old.
A friend of a friend was giving him up and was going to be taking him to the Pets at Home adoption center. We had lost our hammy Pippa 3 months before and I was still feeling extremely depressed about loosing her so the girl asked if we would like to take Jimby, which of cause I jumped to! SO glad we did!! He is my treasure! :love:

We looked in to reascuing a female bun to bond with Jimby, we thought it would be best to get a bun around the similar age to Jimby and also prefered the idea of getting a bun who had already been spayed.
Plus the idea of taking a bunny in who had been potentially abandoned and to be able to give the bunny a happy life really appealed to us.
So we had a look on the forum and found Cookie, we fell in love with her immedietly! She is a little darling and we are so glad we did take her in! :love:

helgalush
23-05-2011, 05:04 PM
6 - my current 6.

The first two started it all - Twinkle & Star. We adopted them from RNGPWelfare two years ago. I had wanted rabbits for a long time and after careful consideration and reading, we decided to do it. We didnt know of rabbit rescues at the time but assumed there must be some, so we rang a couple of places. We spoke to Tracy who happened to be having an open day the next weekend, so we went down....and the rest is history.... :D

Shortly after adopting them we came on RU for advice, and learned so much about rabbits, their needs, space etc, and just how many buns are in rescues and the awful experiences some of them, and the rescues and sanctuaries have. Its just gone from there really :)

HorseyHolly
23-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Two, which were from friends who didn't care for them but I'm getting my newbie from a rescue on wednesday so I put three :D

thenamesJT
23-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I rescued Rodge froma friend who was going to set him free in a field.

I then adopted Sookie from a rescue but unfortunately died after a few months due to stomach problems.

Orla is my 2nd bun from a rescue & is happily settled with Rodge. :love:

Ambience
23-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Two, which were from friends who didn't care for them but I'm getting my newbie from a rescue on wednesday so I put three :D

Exciting- hope it all goes well x

Ambience
23-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I guess technically both our buns were rescue buns in a way.

We got Jimby in February 2009 when he was about 6 months old.
A friend of a friend was giving him up and was going to be taking him to the Pets at Home adoption center. We had lost our hammy Pippa 3 months before and I was still feeling extremely depressed about loosing her so the girl asked if we would like to take Jimby, which of cause I jumped to! SO glad we did!! He is my treasure! :love:

We looked in to reascuing a female bun to bond with Jimby, we thought it would be best to get a bun around the similar age to Jimby and also prefered the idea of getting a bun who had already been spayed.
Plus the idea of taking a bunny in who had been potentially abandoned and to be able to give the bunny a happy life really appealed to us.
So we had a look on the forum and found Cookie, we fell in love with her immedietly! She is a little darling and we are so glad we did take her in! :love:

Aww lovely story x

Ambience
23-05-2011, 05:15 PM
6 - my current 6.

The first two started it all - Twinkle & Star. We adopted them from RNGPWelfare two years ago. I had wanted rabbits for a long time and after careful consideration and reading, we decided to do it. We didnt know of rabbit rescues at the time but assumed there must be some, so we rang a couple of places. We spoke to Tracy who happened to be having an open day the next weekend, so we went down....and the rest is history.... :D

Shortly after adopting them we came on RU for advice, and learned so much about rabbits, their needs, space etc, and just how many buns are in rescues and the awful experiences some of them, and the rescues and sanctuaries have. Its just gone from there really :)

What made you choose a rescue over a pet shop? Did anything prompt you at all ?

donnamt
23-05-2011, 05:15 PM
i have voted 3.. Alvin, Pearl & Holly the only rabbits i have ever had in my life.

BUT im not 100% convinced the sanctuary Alvin came from really was one :? they said they rescued unwanted neighbours rabbits which sounded plausable at the time, Alvin was one of 3 litters that they claimed the dad got out and impregnated the moms while they free ranged again this sounded believable... the bit i struggle with is the no house check, the rescue website disappeared not long after we came home with Alvin, the litters were different ages (didnt register at the time) and they never replied to my update email about him :cry: so i have my doubts. not that i would change where he came from, just wish they hadn't faked it just to sell baby bunnies and me muppet fell for it :( we also travelled 40mins to get him, freeads had buns for sale much closer DOH!!

loulabell
23-05-2011, 05:16 PM
after having several 'petshop buns' and bad advice like; their 2 girls, only to find out later thay are infact one of each, before any disasters thankfully, and '3 sisters will live together happily' no mention of spaying and only when their ripping each other to pieces you realise thats not going to work!
Its only after finding this forum i actually learnt anything, my first rescue was an accidental one, i ended up with 5. my latest rescue was through a rescue and from now on that's the only way i will be adding to my family of buns.

Ambience
23-05-2011, 05:17 PM
i have voted 3.. Alvin, Pearl & Holly the only rabbits i have ever had in my life.

BUT im not 100% convinced the sanctuary Alvin came from really was one :? they said they rescued unwanted neighbours rabbits which sounded plausable at the time, Alvin was one of 3 litters that they claimed the dad got out and impregnated the moms while they free ranged again this sounded believable... the bit i struggle with is the no house check, the rescue website disappeared not long after we came home with Alvin, the litters were different ages (didnt register at the time) and they never replied to my update email about him :cry: so i have my doubts. not that i would change where he came from, just wish they hadn't faked it just to sell baby bunnies and me muppet fell for it :( we also travelled 40mins to get him, freeads had buns for sale much closer DOH!!

Aww glad that Alvin ended up with you. Did they charge you? Your not a muppet at all- you have your bun- that's just what had to happen for those circumstances that meant you and alvin ended up together :)

Sky-O
23-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I take on 'special' bunnies that are unrehomable, generally. I've counted my foster as well because to me they are my own.

But

These are/were my permanents

Candyfloss
Summer (RIP)
Roger
Tilly (RIP)
Autumn
Rosie (RIP)
Wish
Flame
Fizz (RIP)

Fosters wise

Hazel-Flare (RIP)
Socks
Butterfly
Hay Monster
Little

All those bunnies would have likely been PTS had they not come to me (with the exception of Candyfloss who would likely have been a bounce back to the centre over and over due to being blind and 'difficult' but no one identified her blindness.

They all came from the RSPCA I volunteer with apart from Wish, Flame, Hazel-Flare, Fizz and Socks, who came from Kris.

happysaz133
23-05-2011, 05:19 PM
3, although none of them were from actual rescue centres. One was from a family being moved to Germany (and came with a guinea pig), and Islay and Jura who came from an unwanted ad on Gumtree.

donnamt
23-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Aww glad that Alvin ended up with you. Did they charge you? Your not a muppet at all- you have your bun- that's just what had to happen for those circumstances that meant you and alvin ended up together :)

he was 15. Ste picked him really too :oops: i wanted the white splodgy one... altho the lad plonked him in my arms and he scratched me....found my demon and it was total love :lol: :lol: (on my side anyhows haha)

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
23-05-2011, 05:30 PM
1, i'm classing Blossom as my rescue even though she wasn't from a rescue center. :)

When I found out about the way she was being kept, there was no doubt about it. i had to do something. :( She was kept in a hutch that she couldn't stand up in, never came out of it and it was filthy. She saw no daylight, never had exercise, had no toys and had no interaction. :cry: She got food chucked at her because apparently she was evil, (to be honest, i would be if I was treated like that) but she is so lovely and has never shown any aggression to me! :shock: When i got her she was just bone and it turned out she had spurs on her teeth stopping her from eating! :cry: She didn't actually have a name when she came to me!

Originally I was getting a baby dutch bun from a breeder to be a friend for jasper (then single) Sadly she passed away before I met her :( but I knew from then on which bun was mine and I just prayed that my aunty would agree to letting me have her and well it didn't take much persuasion! :roll:

It was lovely being able to bring Blossom home and show her what fun life can be, give her space and love and a name! :love: Sadly the bond between her and jasper never worked out and jasper actually bonded with my original 2 buns forming a trio so i now hope to bond her in to a 4 with them. :)

Rescuing blossom was one of the best and most rewarding things i've ever done and if i didn't rescue her, she wouldn't be alive today. :( Knowing that rescues rescue and take in buns in similar situations to blossom's makes me support them all the way and from now on I think I will only rescue animals from shelters or save them mself. :D

Wow this is a long post and one of the most passionate posts i've written. :oops:

Ambience
23-05-2011, 05:30 PM
I take on 'special' bunnies that are unrehomable, generally. I've counted my foster as well because to me they are my own.

But

These are/were my permanents

Candyfloss
Summer (RIP)
Roger
Tilly (RIP)
Autumn
Rosie (RIP)
Wish
Flame
Fizz (RIP)

Fosters wise

Hazel-Flare (RIP)
Socks
Butterfly
Hay Monster
Little

All those bunnies would have likely been PTS had they not come to me (with the exception of Candyfloss who would likely have been a bounce back to the centre over and over due to being blind and 'difficult' but no one identified her blindness.

They all came from the RSPCA I volunteer with apart from Wish, Flame, Hazel-Flare, Fizz and Socks, who came from Kris.

That's amazing Sky.Great job you are doing of fostering too. I bet the RSPCA think your a godsend! x

MichG
23-05-2011, 05:32 PM
7 :)

Mainly because I went to work at a rescue centre... I already had 3 from P@H, 2 of which are aggressive...

I wasn't going to have any more until I worked there, I have only ever taken ones which were hard to rehome
Jack (RIP) Angora
Lily - Aggressive
Isabelle - Was 4 weeks old when bought in on her own... now has v.sensitive gut
Snoopy - Incisors were removed
Patch - Prolapsed rectum
Dexter - EC, head tilt with severe Uveitus
Jasper - Broken front leg but was very aggressive

Sky-O
23-05-2011, 05:32 PM
That's amazing Sky.Great job you are doing of fostering too. I bet the RSPCA think your a godsend! x

:lol: I think more accurately, they think I'm an annoyance but I do all I do in the name of bunnies, so don't mind being an annoyance for them.

Ambience
23-05-2011, 05:34 PM
:lol: I think more accurately, they think I'm an annoyance but I do all I do in the name of bunnies, so don't mind being an annoyance for them.

aww :)

biscandmatt1
23-05-2011, 05:34 PM
none. but any i have in the future will be rescues. :)

i didn't know about rescue bunnies so smudge, bisc and matt were from a breeder and patch was from someone who's rabbits had an accidental litter.

my piggies are rescues though :)

chloemurray
23-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I put one because I thought you meant bunnies from an actual rescue centre, but technically the majority of my buns have been from people who no longer wanted them:(

helgalush
23-05-2011, 05:43 PM
What made you choose a rescue over a pet shop? Did anything prompt you at all ?

I think I was so aware of dog and cat rescues, that logic kind of extended to there being rabbit rescues or rabbits in rescue (like RSPCA). It didnt take much google searching to find out, and after that there was not really any question of getting any from a pet shop.

I also found the idea of the rescue knowing their personalities/health, already having bonded pairs (as I had already read thats how they should be kept), already vaccinated, already neutered, very reassuring, as well as knowing that the rescue was there for advice should you need it. :)

I also felt reassured that the homecheck process would mean that we had got things right and could provide a good home - I was quite anxious to make sure we would be a good home/bunny parents.

Rescues were also mentioned in the books I had bought.

helgalush
23-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I put one because I thought you meant bunnies from an actual rescue centre, but technically the majority of my buns have been from people who no longer wanted them:(

That counts too - see 1st post! :wave:

Ambience
23-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I think I was so aware of dog and cat rescues, that logic kind of extended to there being rabbit rescues or rabbits in rescue (like RSPCA). It didnt take much google searching to find out, and after that there was not really any question of getting any from a pet shop.

I also found the idea of the rescue knowing their personalities/health, already having bonded pairs (as I had already read thats how they should be kept), already vaccinated, already neutered, very reassuring, as well as knowing that the rescue was there for advice should you need it. :)

I also felt reassured that the homecheck process would mean that we had got things right and could provide a good home - I was quite anxious to make sure we would be a good home/bunny parents.

Rescues were also mentioned in the books I had bought.

That's good- when i was younger i had no knowledge of rabbit rescues. I guess because when you go to the major rescues like the rspca- rabbits are not the predominant animals and at ours were hidden away indoors. Alot of people go for cats and dogs, but there isn't as much rabbit rescue awareness i wouldn't say.

Liz47
23-05-2011, 06:02 PM
One, Gordon :love: I decided to rescue because it was the best way to get Beano a friend, the bun would be neutered etc and I would be helping one of the many buns in rescue's. I will continue to rescue any future buns too :)

helgalush
23-05-2011, 06:06 PM
That's good- when i was younger i had no knowledge of rabbit rescues. I guess because when you go to the major rescues like the rspca- rabbits are not the predominant animals and at ours were hidden away indoors. Alot of people go for cats and dogs, but there isn't as much rabbit rescue awareness i wouldn't say.

Yeah thats true, you definitely dont hear of it as much. We just thought there must be rabbits in rescues or rabbit rescues, because if dogs and cats get put up for rehoming and rescued, then so must bunnies. So we googled it plus our area and it came up with a couple, luckily. I am so glad that rescues have websites these days, otherwise it might have been a different story, although we did come across Rabbit Rehome too. :)

Ambience
23-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah thats true, you definitely dont hear of it as much. We just thought there must be rabbits in rescues or rabbit rescues, because if dogs and cats get put up for rehoming and rescued, then so must bunnies. So we googled it plus our area and it came up with a couple, luckily. I am so glad that rescues have websites these days, otherwise it might have been a different story, although we did come across Rabbit Rehome too. :)

I think the Internet has probably helped alot for the buns in need :)

molly35
23-05-2011, 06:09 PM
4 or 5 depending how you look at it. Molly my first bun came from someone whose grandkids had got bored of her - she was 9 months old! Did a bit of research about rabbits (yes the wrong way round) found she should have a friend and googled rescues in the North East found NRSA and adopted Buzz. Molly had to be PTS last year and Lady was coming as a foster so I decided to try her and Buzz together and Lady stayed.

Then saw Alfie on here, adopted him from Elaine at Tameside and at the same time had a last minute foster dropped off the week before Alfie arrived. As Matilda or Tilly is the same size as Alfie decided to try them together and that was that.

Ambience
23-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Yes they would be rescues too- any bun that is unwanted, neglected, abandoned, stray etc that is in need of a new owner due to whatever circumstances.

Lobo
23-05-2011, 06:40 PM
We have had 10 over the past 20 years:

Numbers 1 & 2 (Honey & Missy) from people who were intending on letting them grow bigger and then killing them for food.

Number 3 (Keith) was from a vet who was about to put him to sleep as he was a stray nobody wanted.

Number 4 and 5 (Liam & Molly) from people who had too many to keep cool in a heat wave.

Number 6 (Chloe) was an unwanted Christmas gift.

Numbers 7 & 8 (Milo & Niamh) were from litters found in the backyard of a man who was killed in a traffic accident.

Number 9 (Paddy) was abandoned when his family changed address and left him behind.

Number 10 (Fionn) was suffering from congenital heart disease and in the care of good people but who had no idea of rabbits, especially those suffering a terminal disease.

Numbers 6, 7 and 8 (Chloe, Milo & Niamh) are still with us.

shelley
23-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Does the p@h adoption centre count as rescue?

beki
23-05-2011, 06:45 PM
1. Reggie was from kirkby as a friend for Ruby who was from a friend's litter. Ruby's mum was bought pregnant from a breeder so she was not a rescue.

Jenova
23-05-2011, 06:48 PM
My first bun Lopsie was found on a main road in Manchester when I was 11.
Grimlock came to me though a woman who couldn't look after him any more.
I adopted Smoo from BARC because I knew she was perfect for him.

I've actually never bought a bunny. I've bought two chinchillas and a hamster so don't think I'm being all high and mighty, but my bunnies just come to me. Always have and I'm sure they always will.

chul
23-05-2011, 06:50 PM
1 - Belle from RSPCA Walsall

Ambience
23-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Does the p@h adoption centre count as rescue?

Yes- they were brought back unwanted- you don't pay for pah adoption centre buns do you?

shelley
23-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes- they were brought back unwanted- you don't pay for pah adoption centre buns do you?

You just donate what ever you like as it is classed as a charity. They have all sorts of buns, some are just handed in to them if the owners dont want them any more, they aren't all stock buns that have got to old as sometimes suggested on here.

Both my buns where from there. Buster was an unwanted christmas present so was tanken back to them, he was 17weeks when i got him and Lola was really over weight and just a chore to her owners so they signed her over to p@h, she is 4yrs old.

DemiS
23-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I've never had a rabbit taken from rescue but I've had one dumped on me and I believe Harley was taken from a bad situation, he and his mother and siblings were in a 3ft hutch, no food or bedding, being given away for free to children at six weeks old. Not that the RSPCA have done anything despite me reporting them numerous times

abbymarysmokey
23-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure how many rescue buns I've had, but probably in the 41-50 category. Most have come from rescue organisations/centres (Kirkby Pet Welfare, Honeybunnies, Fat Fluffs, Bramcote Rescue, Starlights, Pets at Home adoptions), but I've also taken some via vets, some from free-ads and a few from people I know who didn't want them any more.

Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns
23-05-2011, 07:57 PM
One, Barty :love:

It was only once we'd got Heather that we started to really look into rabbit care (bad I know), and we found out about the massive amount of rabbits in rescues. So once we were ready to get Heather a friend we didn't even consider going to a pet shop or breeder :)

The second rescue we went to, sat Barty on my lap and I was smitten, a week later we took my boy home :love::love:

fruitandnutcake
23-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Hazel and Amber: a pair of dutch does that a friend of sister in law no longer wanted (before I knew about getting them spayed 20 years ago)
Holly: a little black baby found abandoned in box on Christmas day about 20 years ago - vet said female, so added Holly to Hazel & Amber, only to find out his was male - he had the snip very quickly!

I had a long break between them and my next lot:

Bugsy was rehomed from a friend of a friend about 4 years ago. Steffi was from a local rescue, but unfortunatley died. Poppy was my ex's brother's girlfriend's rabbit. They didn't realise rabbits chew - so it was confined to an indoor cage 24/7. Then Pebbles whose owner went "on holiday" to scotland, leaving her neighbour (my friend) to feed pets each day - only to discover neighbour wasn't on holiday but had moved to be with someone she had met on internet :shock:

Gem
23-05-2011, 09:12 PM
None of mine have come from a *rescue centre* However most have been *rescued*

Ambience
24-05-2011, 12:52 PM
You just donate what ever you like as it is classed as a charity. They have all sorts of buns, some are just handed in to them if the owners dont want them any more, they aren't all stock buns that have got to old as sometimes suggested on here.

Both my buns where from there. Buster was an unwanted christmas present so was tanken back to them, he was 17weeks when i got him and Lola was really over weight and just a chore to her owners so they signed her over to p@h, she is 4yrs old.

Yes that does :)

GrahamL
24-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Just the 1.

Ginger is from Starlights.

SarahAndGus
24-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I've had 7 in total.

Lola & Betty came from Sue's Rabbit Rescue, Saffy & Edina, Bracken and soon to be Daphen from BARC, and although Jasper came from someone who was bored with him I class him as a rescue rabbit.

We also had Claude who we found and were planning on keeping until his owner came back for him.

Kermit
24-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I got my first bunny, Kermit, from PAH. When he was ill i found this forum.

When Kermit left me i got Herbie & Inca. Herbie from BARC and Inca from Bunnyhops. They were both poor wee souls and i just fell for them.

mattyp
24-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Both of mine are rescues. Maisie from BCDH and Marvin was from Starlight's rabbit rescue.

Best decision I ever made.

batmobile
24-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I am very excited as am soon to get rescue 10 and 11. I will then have 9 honeybunnies and 2 RSPCA bunsters, plus I had another honeybunny who died suddenly and fairly soon after getting him. I have owned 13 in total but my first two were from a naughty teenager who let hers 'play together'. I took two brothers and they lived until they were 9 and 12.
I would always rescue now but after the next two arrive that is full to the brim. And hubby thought I'd stop at 2. Mawhahahahahahaha...:lol: