• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost confidence in my ability to bond

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Which is pretty rubbish really, given its a pretty vital part of owning bunnies.

The last one was disasterous, and this one has so, so much riding on it. They are doing the whole establishing the hierachy, and its all normal, but I'm just not sure I have enough confidence to know what is and what isn't enough and when to stop.

I don't want to create anymore injured bunnies.

Plus, its boy boy and it's humpy!

And I feel really stupid for admitting this.

You need to take a step back and relax. :)
You know you can read bunnies and you know what's acceptable in a bonding situation. They're going to chase and hump and pull fur. It's always worrying no matter how many times you do it but you will know if you have to stop. I feel silly saying this to you but you know it usually looks worse than it is. :)

Have faith in yourself, I had a failed bond today due to humpy boys... (trying to bond 2 boys both neutered with a neutered girl) thankfully no one was badly injured (but did see my first fully erect bunny bits...:shock:).

I am putting it largely down to time of year. You are an experienced bonder, you need to get back on the bonding wagon soon otherwise it will be even harder!!

Sometimes it is not us or our experience as bonders that cause them to fail, the bunnies themselves are more to blame!!

Don't blame yourself- blame the buns :) Some buns just don't get along- well done for persevering and sorry it didn't work out. Keep on trying though with other buns- they are not all the same :)

SKY, if you can't do it theres no hope for the rest of us!!!!
you are a fantastic bunny owner, please, please dont loose faith in yourself.
Good luck with it. XX

Thanks guys. I haven't stopped their bond yet, they are still together. I think the wind has made them nuts.

I can't even recall the theory :lol: I feel like I need to go and read my own articles on how to do this and what to allow.

there is no way i would ever attempt bunny bonding myself :lol: thats what the rescues do best so i'm all for them doing the hard work ensuring my bunnies are 110% matched... i can't talk bunny like they can so i'd be hopeless :lol:

anyone who does bonding is very brave i think :love:

Step back. :lol: Take some deep breaths and hang on in there.

And also Jenova, don't feel silly for saying that, I feel like I've never done this before. :lol::roll:

That's exactly what you told me to do :wave: I couldn't have done it without you, and I'm sure lots of other people on here are the same! Have faith in yourself, you DO know what you're doing!! X

Bonding is so stressful. I wouldn't have gone through with it myself recently if it wasn't for RU and Janice's support and advice. Rabbits can be so confusing during bonding. Some take longer than others.

That's exactly what you told me to do :wave: I couldn't have done it without you, and I'm sure lots of other people on here are the same! Have faith in yourself, you DO know what you're doing!! X

Yes and remember all the successful ones you must have done in the past.
Hazel-Flare and Clover and Perry and Clover are two that I thank you for.
Clover was wasting away after she lost Hazel-Flare but now she loves Perry.
Be confident and wishing you tons of good luck with the bond.
More photos please.:wave:

I so often feel the same way. My last two haven't worked.

Admittedly they weren't straight forward bonds but I still felt that I could do them. I was wrong.

I question my ability, but then I do think that every rabbit is totally different and so why should the principles work for all. The basics do generally work but then the 'fluffy bits' have to change sometimes to suit the pairing/group. Sometimes they just don't want to live together.

I also wonder if it's still a case of Spring Fever as I have a friends buns here at the moment who've been together for a very long time, but who have fallen out over the weekend.

Let's face it, this bonding lark, it's really is rocket science, contrary to some folks beliefs.

If you ever want to compare notes Tracy, you know where I am. :)

I so often feel the same way. My last two haven't worked.

Admittedly they weren't straight forward bonds but I still felt that I could do them. I was wrong.

I question my ability, but then I do think that every rabbit is totally different and so why should the principles work for all. The basics do generally work but then the 'fluffy bits' have to change sometimes to suit the pairing/group. Sometimes they just don't want to live together.

I also wonder if it's still a case of Spring Fever as I have a friends buns here at the moment who've been together for a very long time, but who have fallen out over the weekend.

Let's face it, this bonding lark, it's really is rocket science, contrary to some folks beliefs.

If you ever want to compare notes Tracy, you know where I am. :)

You're not wrong. I reckon the more you know and the more you supervise, the harder it is.

Sorry your bonds haven't worked though. I do completely agree with what you've said, I don't think I've ever had two identical bonds using the exact same strategy, the 'fluffy bits' are always different, as are some crucial bits, sometimes.

Thanks guys :)

Don't give up hope! I know it is easy to lose confidence. I have done some successful bonds - but always male/female. But the thought of doing two male/female pairs to make a foursome absolutely scares me and I'm putting it off till the summer holidays ( hopefully no spring fever to complicate things).

how is the bond going now?

I'm dating them, so they aren't together right now. But they did four hours yesterday. Still very humpy, but no fighting or anything. I'm sure, if Butterfly keeps this up, it's only a matter of time though.

Er... YOU are not allowed to lose confidence otherwise what hope is there for the rest of us! ;):wave: I'm sure it'll be fine :)

OMG am in dispair, if you're having problems we've no hope. :lol:seriously though, i've read everything you've written and I'm trying but I reckon it's them, it's the bunnies, they haven't read what's what. ;) keep going, your lack of confidence will pass, just believe in yourself. :D

Back