• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loosing bunnies - my thoughts

Suzanne

Mama Doe
I've had buns in my life since I was 4 years old and they've come and gone (passing away naturally at a good old age) I've lost two this year and it is always upsetting no matter how long they've been with me. I try to look at it now as their passing away, whilst sad, is to make space for another bunny that would be waiting in a rescue, to have the opportunity of a lovely home. The bunny that passed can never be replaced in terms of character etc... but sort of like, they've had their turn now it's sunbun elses opportunity.

Just my thoughts on this.

that's a lovely way to think of it:)

i suppose i'm so scared of losing one of mine that i think i could never love anybun so much but in reality, i suppose there may be somebun out there that tugs at the heart strings again one day.

it is a nice way of looking at it. :)

i also try and realise how much better my life was for having that pet in it, rather than to never have had it at all.
think of the smiles rather than the sadness of loosing them (usually easier said than done).

its taken me longer than expected to get over pearl.. i think i am a born replacer so will always have the bunny circle.. but Pearl she got me like no animal ever has :shock:

i really like the fact Alvin was binkying within days of Pearls death and that was purely because Holly was there to be impressed and he lives in the now ... so should we :D

I think thats probably quite a healthy way of looking at it and tackling the grief of losing your buns.

All my rabbits are here because of Sniffsnaffs my first doe that I adopted from a friend after looking after her while they went on holiday, she made herself very much at home in that month and was missed when she went back to them, so I had to work on getting her back but not too hard as I think she missed me and let them know she wasn't happy :lol:- One of the best feelings I've ever had was saying 'bye' to my 'friend' and taking that wretched harness off her and saying go! - she hadn't ever free ranged and was 2 it was such a joy to do that for her and see her binky like a loon, my current buns owe her a big thankyou as they are living charmed lives thanks to her.

Last edited:
That is such a lovely way to think- however, I'm one of those that still feels guilty that I can't afford more than the four I already have. I see all those lovely buns needing a forever home and just want to give them one. :(

That's a lovely way of thinking about it. Especially when I have just lost a bunny and haven't lost one for over 4 years so feel a bit of a failure. This makes me feel a little bit better as I have just got another one to bond with Akasma and felt I was replacing Frankie.

Back