• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi and some advice please.

KateB89

New Kit
Hi There!

My name is Kate and I'm hoping to get a pair of rabbits in September time. I've been looking around at hutches and things and have come across this one Hutch. Would this be suitable for housing a pair? I'm looking at getting a pair of mini rexes.

I kept rabbits as child, we had two lovely black bunnies (sorry, no idea what breed they were) called Flopsy and Mopsy they were around 9 when they died. I think that's quite a good age. I think I's like to go for males this time, as I've not kept male rabbits, and I'm also led to believe they tend to have less issues around lumps and things. I'll obviously be browsing around the forum for some good advice on food etc, but any quick tips? I own rats at the moment and make up my own food mixes for them, as the commercial mixes available aren't very good. Is this the same with rabbits, or do the pet food makers have it right?

Sorry about the essay, thanks in advance for your help.

Kate

If you have space for a bigger hutch then 6ft long would be better. I am sure that others will point you in the right direction, i have indoor buns.

As far as the male bunnies, i would recommend getting neutered male & female as males are more prone to fights :(

Hello and welcome :wave:

Lovely to hear that you are joining us bunny lovers! You will find we are a pro-rescue forum in the main so we will pester you to think about giving a pair of rescue rabbits a forever home!:lol:

I think we have all found from experience that rabbit housing can be inadequate and highly priced. I think it is important to think of it as an investment as, as you say, rabbits can and do live fairly long (10-12years) lives so unless you are to keep replacing it every few years you will want to find something durable.

Most people would suggest that a hutch at least 6ft x 2ft (preferably 3ft) and high enough for your rabbit to stand up on his back legs (which will depend on his breed) coupled with an attatched run of at least 6ft x 6ft is about right to allow for a stimulating environment. Anything less can mean there isn't sufficient space for several litter trays, perching spots - chairs, stalls, chewy things - branches, log pieces, toys - balls, things to throw about, digging boxes etc etc. Of course people sometimes house their pets in something much smaller but it can and does lead to a bored rabbit and the incumberent behavioural and health problems etc.

Have a good look around the site, using the search facility if you like and you will find fabulous examples of rabbit housing that you may not have considersed before - such as a garden shed or playhouse with run attatched, a converted bike store and aviary style accomodation. If you would still like a hutch and run combo I would make your first stop your local RSPCA centre as some sell very sturdy hutches and runs of a good size at a very competetive price - you may just find your rabbits their too ;) You could look at Rydale hutches too which are well thought of I understand.

I'm afraid many pet food companies do get it a bit wrong but there are several pellets that are good for bunnies, although they need only a few each day. Have a browse around the Diet section for good ideas.

Welcome again, its always lovely to "meet" new members.

Thanks so much everyone.

Rescue rabbits are definitely going to be looked at, all my rats are rescues, I guess there's loads of rabbits in rescue this time of year. :(

I'd never thought about a shed! Sounds like a really good solution, and cheaper than buying a hutch that's not so good.

Seen a 6ft by 4ft shed for less that £150, so could get that and then buy a big run to attach to the front. And I guess I could use the extra height and put in a shelf for storage of hay and food etc?

Oh! I'm all excited!

Thanks so much everyone.

Rescue rabbits are definitely going to be looked at, all my rats are rescues, I guess there's loads of rabbits in rescue this time of year. :(

I'd never thought about a shed! Sounds like a really good solution, and cheaper than buying a hutch that's not so good.

Seen a 6ft by 4ft shed for less that £150, so could get that and then buy a big run to attach to the front. And I guess I could use the extra height and put in a shelf for storage of hay and food etc?

Oh! I'm all excited!

Sounds perfect. Unfortunately, there are lots of rabbits in rescues all throughout the year, over 33,000 right now :(

Sheds are awesome, and the space/£ is the best value.

You could put shelves, and ledges in for the buns and storage.

Attach a run, and use a catflap or similar style invention to allow access to the run :wave:

:wave:

I have that hutch but the 6ft version with run attached. Its a brilliant hutch but im itching to buy a shed & run! :lol:

If you have the space, go for the shed, means you can go inside and sit with buns no matter what the weather! :D

run bit looks ok but inside bit looks a bit small for 2 buns.

have a look at the rabbtis in need section on here, loads of cuties in pairs! my heart breaks every time i look as i cant afford any more :(

Hi and Welcome,
I think everyone hs given you good advice already.
I think going with the shed an attached run would be the best option :) Plenty of room then for your rabbits and they will be happier because of it.

Generally the best pair combo is male and a female, of course both neutered and speyed. But if you adopt from a rescue they will already be neutered and speyed and vaccinated too, plus you don't need to bond them yourself, as all that is done for you.

I never heard abot people making their own rabbit pellets. You want a pellet rather than a museli mix food. I feed Burgess Excel to my three boys and Burgess Excel dwarf and Junior to my girl. There is alsoa brand by Oxbow which is good. Some people use Science selective but I personally would only recomend this if your rabbit is under 6months as it is made from a legume grass called Alfalfa which has high levels of calcium in it and it can cause bladder and kidney stones in some rabbits.
Aswell as the pellets your rabbit needs fresh hay at all times, and you can also offer some tasty greens too :)

Thanks so much everyone.

Oh! I'm all excited!

That would be great! Here's a vid of my shed setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9IcoHLMJI

Bunnies love having raised platforms (like my storage cheast) to sit and ruminate on. It's also so much nicer mucking out on cold, wet winter nights when you're in a warm (heater) and bright (lightbulb) shed. :D

Where abouts do you live Kate? There's bound to be rescue nearby that someone can recommend.

Last edited:
Back