• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dependence

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Something I've been wondering about for a while.

Does anyone else feel dependent on an animal of theirs?

I know people who may have guide dogs are dependent on them in some respects, i.e. physically.

I feel dependent on somebunny emotionally, I think. He is a part of me, and he knows it too. I guess its similar to unhealthy 'co-dependent' human relationships, because obviously he is dependent on me too. Although this isn't unhealthy, I don't think, we're just really close, although, given his life is expected to be shorter, that's not so great.

Does anyone else feel dependent on an animal? (not necessarily a bunny).

Yes, I did with Blue, I guess because I was very dependant on him when I got him, he wasn't ill at all until recently but I was dependant on him to make me get better.
Even when I was more stable Ive still always been quote dependant on him wereas the others I;m not.

Yes, I did with Blue, I guess because I was very dependant on him when I got him, he wasn't ill at all until recently but I was dependant on him to make me get better.
Even when I was more stable Ive still always been quote dependant on him wereas the others I;m not.

*squish* I can relate to how difficult things are for you right now. I saw your recent thread. Please keep talking if it helps. x

I don't feel dependant, but I do have an overwhelming sense of duty to my buns where I feel I have to be strong for them no matter what, I've fought off my health condition and crawled through excruciating pain to make sure they're fed/watered/happy/comfortable. I have always felt like I had an emotional bond with the bunnies though, especially with Firefly. Part of me feels missing with him gone.

I was with Sass, she was my everything, and I know she felt the same about me :cry: She was the only thing that could brighten up the darkest days.

Boo (shih tzu) is now my closest friend, he depends on me alot, and I depend on him for emotional support and company.

Last edited:
This quote springs to mind as a good way of explaining me and Sass, and me and Boo...

"He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same".

i think i have an obsession with bisc and matt especially. i feel my purpose is looking after them and i get very anxious being away from them. when they were ill i started sleeping in the lounge to be close to them and i am still doing that nearly two years later. i suffer with depression and other problems which you have probably read about and my 'get away' from everything was to sit with them when they had their own shed and i did that nearly all day but found myself anxious inside at night, worrying they needed me and i wasn't there.

i don't know what i would do if they weren't here. they are what i get up for, why i try so hard and my personality has always been 'obsessive' with one thing or another, and i put all that obsessiveness onto them and found i can do the things i find incredibly hard if it has to be done for them. in a way they saved me. the way i was, and then getting them, it just helped me and i feel it was all meant to be because i am stuck inside most of the time, and they happen to have problems that at the time they were very ill, needed someone with them all the time.

so yes, i depend on them and i don't know what i will do without them. i have panic attacks about them not being around anymore, and nightmares about something bad happening to them.

probably not 'normal' but i have that type of personality and they became my new ocd obsession, but if it's got to be something then i'm glad it's over how much i love them and their care, rather than the things it used to be about.

When my best friend died last year the only thing that made me happy was being with her dog, Charlie. Charlie was very much Nicola's dog, he didn't particularly 'like' anyone else, she walked him, fed him cared for him etc. and when she died he was very lost, as was I. Her mum and dad wanted me to have Charlie, but unfortunately my mum's allergic to dogs so I couldn't :cry::cry::cry: I'm still so dependent on Charlie though, I take him a long walk most nights, Charlie and Sox were the only reason I got up back in August. I'd just take Charlie up into the fields at night and cry with him, on our own in the dark it was so nice, no other people. He's like my little memory box, I remember when she got Charlie, and all the things we done together, so many happy memories with my friend. I still cry most nights though, we were so close and its still so hard, but without Charlie I'd be crying on my own in my room probably. So yeah, I'm definitely dependent on an animal. :love:.xx

Both my cat and my bunny.
I hate it when people say Ollie is getting old (he's 13). I don't ever want him to leave :cry: I dunno what I'd do without my Ollie cat :cry:

I was. But I didn't realise it until afterwards.
When I had my depression breakdown Grim also had his jaw abscesses. I obsessed over treating him and getting him better. But he was the only reason I was getting up in the mornings. I needed him.

Now I'm 'better' things are a little different. But at the time my relationship was breaking down, my life was breaking down and I was dependant on him to keep on going.

13, he's a spring chicken! My Daisy is 21 :lol:

:lol: My mom always says he's old haha he's the oldest cat we've had: one got hit by a car, the other had to be pts because he got terminal with cancer and was in agony :(. I secretly hope Ollie lives to a record age i.e. forever.

:lol: My mom always says he's old haha he's the oldest cat we've had: one got hit by a car, the other had to be pts because he got terminal with cancer and was in agony :(. I secretly hope Ollie lives to a record age i.e. forever.

I lost two older cats, one to a stroke around 15 yrs old, the other to renal failure at 14 yrs old.

I think my Daisy is going for the world record though :lol: It feels like she'll never go, like it's not even conceivable that she could actually die one day but I do fear it alot :( I have found that adding lots of fish (tuna, sardines etc) has really helped her maintain her thick glossy coat, and ease her arthritis.

I hope your Ollie does a Daisy and makes it into his 20's :D

I depend on Lola a lot, I got her when I was going through a very rough patch in my life and I can say hand on heart if I hadn't have got her I wouldn't be here today. Shes changed my life for the better and is always my shoulder to cry on, shes got those extra big ears to listen with and will always brighten my day up. I miss her when I go out and she is always at the back of my mind no matter what I am doing, I try and "buy" her love, shes got so many toys I can't count them but thats my "thank you" to her and I won't stop spoiling her until the day she leaves me! :love:

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when Mischa goes, just the thought of it upsets me quite a bit. He's so affectionate and just stares at me trying to communicate what it is he wants.

My cat Bambi, hes my baby. I know for a fact I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. He came to me when I was going through a hard time and helped me through it and still does.

Hes only two but if anything happened to him I rreally don't know what would happen.

Blackberry was my soulmate, and I miss him every day.

I love my other bunnies, but we don't have the same connection.

I miss my best friend :cry:

I did with Lily, I think this is why I'm struggling so much at the loss of her but not the other bunnies ive lost in the past.
She was different., she was my little girl.
My purpose was to make her happy adn now she's gone I have nothing :roll:
She's the reason I became veggie, the reason I eventually moved out of my parents and the reason I help animals and rescue, oh and the reason I dont buy things testing on animals. I owe her that forever
I always used to tell her I loved her more than anything in the world and I meant it every word :cry: I miss my little girl terribly

Last edited:
Back