• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday plans for bunny

babar

New Kit
Hello. We have a 6 month old mini rex rabbit. She has always slept in her hutch in the garden although we do let her play in the house if she wants to, but predominantly she is a garden bunny. She is very loved and gets lots of cuddles, and is used to being handled by humans - mainly by my 9 year old who adores her. We have to leave her next week because we are going camping. We have thus far always taken her with us wherever we went, but she really can't come on this holiday!
I am stressed about the arrangements for leaving her at home. I would prefer her to be at home, where she is familiar with her garden and hutch, where she is safe from escaping because we bunny-proofed the fence etc, and where she plays happily for hours everyday. BUT this would mean she will essentially be home alone for 7 days with just a visitor everyday to feed her.
My options are:
1) leave her in the hutch all week and have friendly neighbours pop in every day to feed her but not get her out, or they will never get her back in. The hutch is BIG - 2 floors, with bedrooms etc etc but she is not used to being caged up for more than a few hours at a time
2) leave her hutch door open all week and have friendly neighbours pop in every day to feed her, give her the freedom of the garden and let her decide when she's ready for bed etc but run the risk of a predator coming into the garden to get her (even as I'm typing this seems like a bad idea)
3) take her hutch into the house for the week and have friendly neighbours pop in every day to feed her and let her run in the kitchen where they stand a better chance of getting her back into the hutch
4) try to find a family who would bunny sit for a week but I'm worried that if I did this, they would unwittingly let her escape as she is a pretty lively rabbit
My friend had originally agreed to house-sit for the week which would have been perfect for her, but this has fallen through.
Is it cruel to leave her in the hutch all week with nobody talking to her apart from at feeding times? It seems so, even if the htuch is big. She will be in such a sulk when we come home.
The rest of the time her life is very happy and she gets hours and hours of freedom in the garden.
We also have a shed which I could consider clearing out and letting her be in the shed for the week......
All thoughts gratefully received

I think she would be fine without the company for a week, but I'm not sure I'd feel confident about neighbours coming once a day. They may forget/ not know the signs of illness etc.
We have a petsitter come to us twice a day when we go away. They are really good, reliable and I can brief them on what to look out for.
We've also taken them to boarding before, which they've really enjoyed as they've been spoilt rotten!

I've heard of boarding but I was worried that she would be in a tiny cage and it would not be nice. Maybe I should look into this option too. Thanks

Mine go boarding as I wouldn't trust a non-bunny person to spot the signs of illness. They are outdoor buns and holiday in dog kennel with run style accommodation, masses of room, safety at night, their regular foods and rabbit savvy carers on duty 24/7. Sure it costs me but I know they are in good hands. My Guinea pigs go too - they go in a large hutch in a shed/barn and go out on the grass in the day. Everyone takes their own toys, litter boxes, tunnels etc so they feel at home.

Perhaps you could post where abouts you are so someone could recommend a holiday spot for your rabbit.

If it came to it I think I would opt for the kitchen arrangement for safety.

We are in north london but camping in Scotland. She has a travel cage. I just checked out the pet boarding near me - it looks nice in their website, but she is not vaccinated yet, as the vet's advice was wait until she is 6 months, which is next month. So boarding might not be a good idea for her.

I live in Haslemere, Surrey and I'd be happy to look after her if you could provide housing, though I think I might be quite far away from you. I'm not a boarding place, but I have 2 rabbits :)

That was poor advice from your vet - I would get her Myxi vacc straight away so long as she is healthy.

I'm in Watford and use a boarding place at Rickmansworth which may not be out of your reach I know they said they have some London buns in.

thanks for all your messages. I will look into both the vaccinations and the boarding. I must go to sleep now! Night night

We do boarding, and are two minutes walk from a station on the district line :)

She is old enough to be vaccinated for both myxi and VHD.
It is the peak of myxi season soon, so I would get her done asap.

Mine also go to boarding which makes me feel much better. I know they are safe and being well looked after. They go out in runs every day and the lady who looks after them also gives them some supervised free range time in her garden every day (it is bunny proofed).

Boarding is also good as if they suddenly become ill or anything then someone is there to notice and to get them to the vets immediately.

A good boarding place should let you go and visit so you can see what their set ups are. I would ring round a few in your area and go and visit them.

I would go down the boarding route every time, as I can rest easy on holiday knowing that they are being well cared for. The lady I board with is fantastic and all the bunnies she cares for like her own.

:)

Also wanted to add!!! Your vet is not right. She should be vaccinated. I had my two done at 2 months old and the vet never questoined it at all.

Maybe try to find a vet that knows about rabbits.:)

yes she should be vaccinated! she prob would be alright to be looked after by neighbours IF they were used to rabbits, if not then you would prob end up with her escaping.

I am getting to neighbour to feed and check on my outside ones when I go away but only cause she has buns of her own, wouldnt let them escape (and could catch them if they did!) and would put them in the run for me.

Yep, for anything longer than a weekend, my buns go into boarding. In previous years we have had family come to the house to feed them but as the inlaws are getting on a bit, I may need to find another alternative.

Hope you get this sorted - years ago I use to get a friend/neighbour to pop in once a day to feed/clean the gang - however this was not ideal - totally trust friend but felt it was too much responsibility for her and once a day is not enough for the gang (rabbit and guineas) I felt awful they did not go out in the runs in the day and were stuck in their hutches full time, also the worry if anything went wrong.

After trying several boarders - who then all closed down I have now found a great pet sitter who runs a small pets hotel in her home - she is just as mad about animals as me, has several rescues of her own, spends a lot of time with her boarders, and has an HND in animal care - she also works in a zoo (I'm anti zoos but does mean this lady has access to vets on a daily basis and is a real animal person!)

I can tell from how Leo bunny reacts he loves it there - he totally took to this lady which he is normally off with new people. He loves the 7 foot hutch he gets and the large run.

I never had his myxi and vhd done until past few years as I didnt know much about it - have kept it up ever since and myxi can be bad in the area here sometimes.

Have to say it feels so good trusting the pet sitter and feeling they are happy there, means I can relax:)

Back