• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should my bun always have feeding hay in his hutch?

md321

Warren Scout
I was wondering if my bunny who is 6 weeks old should always have feeding hay in his hutch?

Hay is needed constantly for eating, it helps wear their teeth down, which are always growing :).

It's also good for bedding.

As others have said hay should make up most of their diet, it is very important for his dental health, stomach health and imotional health :)

You'll probably find he eats his bedding hay as well as anything you put in a holder for him. I once asked what hay the baby bunnies in Pets at Home were eating as they seemed very fond of it - answer was just the basic bedding hay!

Thanks for your replies, i'll make sure he gets plenty of hay......he's looking a bit greedy already:lol:

Thanks for your replies, i'll make sure he gets plenty of hay......he's looking a bit greedy already:lol:

Yes 80-90% of his diet should be hay, followed by an eggcupful of pellets. Because hes young and growing you can give a bit more. Vegetables can be introduced at 12weeks of age. :)

Mine love to sit in big piles of hay and and chomp away for ages! It's their favourite hobby :D

Mine used to like to sit in their litter trays and munch hay whilst doing their business!:roll:

Multi-tasking, gives more time for important things like binkying and flopping!

Yep, hay, hay, hay! :D For a great selection of quality hay visit:

www.thehayexperts.co.uk

Are you sure Peter is only 6 weeks old? That's too young to leave his mother, so P@H have been very irreponsible if that is the case.

Back