• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for a head tilt bunny

Rodentranch

Alpha Buck
what sort of extra care does a head tilt bunny need? As in would there be extra meds or regular Panacur courses for them and their friend/s? And any other advise you would have :wave:

Thanks

i don't know the answer to your question, very new to owning bunnies but i did have a guineapig with a tilted head, at first he use to walk around in circles but eventually learnt to get to where he wanted:D had to watch out for ear infections as that is what caused it, so they said. he had other problems but lived for over 3 years and was the most loved pet ever, he really was my baby:love: i miss him so much but the love he gave was worth the extra worry:D you see animal learn to live with their disability, it's us that worry about it:D but only cause we care.

Regular vet visits to monitor the progress. It took three months of intensive medication and monitoring for my bun to recover from head tilt. You need to panacur (or Lapizole) your affected bun and any other rabbits you have that have contact for 28 days. The head tilted bun will need pain med/anti-inflammatory to reduce the head tilt. If the head it tilted badly right over then other medication will be needed.

You also have to montior as other illnesses can be brought on from the head tilt - if the head tilt is due to EC, then your bun could suffer cataracts.

Your vet will explain better all the options and tests needed to be done.

Back