• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chance of Myxomatosis

rachylou

Warren Veteran
We went to see my husbands auntie today and she has a cat called Rosie, she uses Program for flea protection.
When I was stroking Rosie I saw white flakes in her fur, so I tried to seperate her fur a bit to see if it was on her skin and I couldnt see anything other than the white flakes but she wouldnt let me have a really good look.
I had a cuddle with her and I am now worried that I may have fleas on me?
I have got home and changed clothes, had a bath and washed my hair but am worried because Rosie is an outdoor cat that she may have a flea that has got myxo?

If you have bathed and changed your clothes, even if she was carrying a flea (doubtful if you didnt see any) and even if said flea was carrying myxi (very unlikely) you WONT have passed anything on to your buns.

Please try not to worry, i think your OCD is taking over again hun as this is not something to worry about atall. Trust me your buns are fine (((HUGS)))

So far as I understand it - fleas are species specific anyway. From all you've described I honestly don't think there's any risk at all.

I don't think that would be fleas.

Flea dirt is dark (essentially dried blood)

Sounds more like mites I'd of thought.

If you're concerned can't you get a spot on and de-flea the bun?

I have 6 cats, who roam about outside during the day and occasionally collect fleas, I just treat the cats and buns (with different flea treatments)

Have done a search and it is not clear whether it is safe to treat buns for fleas plus as they are both tummy buns I dont want to risk using something that could potentially make them ill :(

They are vaccinated, yes?

Even if they weren't vaccinated, I'd be telling you that it's fine; if they're vaccinated, really, it's absolutely fine. That's another line of 'defence' even if you did bring something home...which I'm certain you didn't. I wouldn't bother treating the buns for fleas - some products are safe (NOT FRONTLINE) but flea products are only for use to deal with an existing infestation, so using a flea treatment won't stop your buns from catching myxo anyway, if indeed a myxo flea has found its way into your house (which I'm certain it hasn't).

Last edited:
Yes they are vaccinated but they can still catch myxo cant they? Any Jims was 2 days late having his jab this time :(

Yes they are vaccinated but they can still catch myxo cant they? Any Jims was 2 days late having his jab this time :(

It does not matter if he was late with his jab, he is protected now. The bunnies are fine and you have not brought anything into the house.

I know it I not this easy for you but please, please, please don't worry about them, they are fine.

Rachy, we had this conversation about their jabs the other day :wave:

Jims and Cookie are both fine, they are safe, you are offering them everything they could need.

Remember, think logically, as logic defies OCD, although i do understand your frustration and upset at what has occurred, you need to fight it, as you know deep down you do too.

You can beat this feeling, i have faith in you.

But because the vaccination takes two weeks for immunity onset I am worried.
Can a flea live on me or surfaces?

Aww, I doubt very much they were fleas! Far more likely to be a bit of scurf. With fleas you can feel them 'pinging' against you, and kitty would be scratching a lot too. Your rabbits are vaccinated (a couple of days late won't make any difference whatsoever) and kitty has had flea treatment too. Everything will be fine, so don't worry. (((Hugs)))

Rachy.

The vaccination never expired. So they've always been protected. Myxi vaccine does not just 'stop' as we've told you before :wave:.

It doesn't sound like the cat had fleas anyway. That is not what fleas look like, it was more likely to be dry skin from moulting (one of my dogs has it). Fleas do not live on humans, they might bite but they won't stay on humans as they jump back onto the animal/ outside etc. Really try not to worry.

At the moment, as Gray says, they are still covered by the last vaccination. They last for a year but are done every 6 months to make sure.

Have you anything you can do when your mind starts working against you like this. Go for a walk, do a crossword or some online shopping for baby things. Anything that could help break the cycle? My apologies if this is a silly idea, I am afraid I do not know how to help.

Rachy-

If you had fleas you would know about it- you would have bites on you. I've had a flea infestation before and all my buns were fine. The flea would have to be a mixi carrier. Low odds that every flea everywhere would be carrying it.

Also the flea getting onto you and coming all the way home with you- almost impossible. I really would not be worrying.

Your buns are jabbed- so don't worry.

I know what it's like to have ocd thoughts if that is what you are experiencing. Sorry if your not. It was mentioned in an earlier post.

I will assure you though the chance of this happening is like winning the lottery odds- are you really that unlucky?

If a bun was unlucky enough to get mixi- i can be treated if vacced so don't worry.

Chance of any bun getting mixi is low vaccinated or not. I've had loads of buns and only had one with mixi in my life. Lucky was outside and was a very unlucky bun in the end. Your buns are indoors- again risk totally minimized.

As said before human beings are not a good host for a flea- really a last resort- if they are on cats- that is where they will stay.

Back