• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny friendly gardens

karen1980

Mama Doe
Please can people post pictures of their bunny friendly gardens?

We have a 6ft fence which ive announced it looks too brown (painted brown)

I would like some plants but as the bunnies run free range I dont want to poison them or restrict their runs.

Please can you advise?

Thanks

I have a bunny friendly garden :)
I'll post pics later as I'm on my phone
I am going to plant stuff and put chicken wire around it so they can free range and my plants will be protected :)

We're going to use tall planters and hanging baskets in our garden so the bunnies can't reach them.
We've also put up coloured lanterns and decorations to brighten the place up without posing a risk to the buns.

Sorry I've got no real advice on plants, I'm clueless and basically just spray anything I'm not sure about with vinegar when the buns go out so they don't like the smell of it :lol:

Thanks!

Ive just found this link that staes marigolds are fine? I thought it was only one particular variety?
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/bunnycampnews/Newsletter2_04_2004.asp

Looks ike the hollyhock coud be good if I can track it down

If you would like to deter your fluffs from demolishing your favourites, try growing them through tall stick plants such as Phlox, adding hurdles, or like me tempting them away by edging boarders with Geranium “endressii”. They enjoy the leaf of this plant so much that they just sit and stuff them selves and venture no further, unless of course you’ve got a “digging” doe.

Plants to grow: Asters, Borage, Calendula, Galega, Geranium, Geum (this plant is the “posh” version of the Aven weed and full of fibre), Helenium, Hollyhock (from the Mallow family) Honesty, Lupins (not the seed pods), Marguerites, Marigolds, Michaelmas Daisies, Nasturtium, Rose, Stocks, Sunflowers and Wallflowers.

I must be really lucky...I plant bedding plants (bun friendly) but none of mine wreck my borders or eat the plants... maybe some digging in the soft soil but thats it.
My back garden totally bunny proof... even in the hedges there is mesh (that the hedge has grown through..)
They free range...only when Im around

garden.jpg

Thanks! Do you find they try to eat the flowers on the right hand side boarder?

Mine have no respect for my raised beds and run all along them!

Thanks! Do you find they try to eat the flowers on the right hand side boarder?

Mine have no respect for my raised beds and run all along them!

No they just dig... As I said I must be lucky... Ive never lost a plant to a bun.. apart from... one used to nip the heads off my sunflowers.. so I covered them until they were bigger:)

:lol: ive got a big herb pot that I have to move when they come out as they dive in it and stuff their faces silly!! :lol::lol:

Back