• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training not working

Alicia

Mama Doe
I started litter training my rabbits after I got the 2 months ago. I got them a cat litter tray because they're big rabbits and I use woodshavings in the litter tray (I now know that's not very good and I'm going to the pet shop next weekend to try and get some megazorb) and I put hay on top of the woodshavings to encourage them to use the tray. They do use it a lot, but they still go to the toilet in the enclosed part of the hutch as well, but not in the open part of the hutch (where the tray is) do I need to get another litter tray? I have tried putting their hay in a hay rack above the litter tray but Molly and Archie won't eat hay out of the rack, so I change their litter tray once or twice a day so they're not eating hay that they've gone to the toilet on.

Put the tray where they want to go. Many rabbits prefer the enclosed 'safe' area to toilet in than the open area that they may feel is less safe.

Yes I do, what should I use? I was going to use fleece after they're litter trained because I thought if I used it before they were litter trained then it would get wet really quickly. I moved the litter tray to the closed part of the hutch and there were a few poops round the litter tray, but there was a big pile of them in the tray :D I moved all the poops into the litter tray, will that help them use the tray?

Last edited:
Yes I do, what should I use? I was going to use fleece after they're litter trained because I thought if I used it before they were litter trained then it would get wet really quickly. I moved the litter tray to the closed part of the hutch and there were a few poops round the litter tray, but there was a big pile of them in the tray :D I moved all the poops into the litter tray, will that help them use the tray?

I find that sometimes rabbits can pee on fleece. I don't have hutchs so I don't know a whole lot about it. Hopefully some one else can offer you advice. But I imagine them peeing on the hutch will cause rot. Maybe just put down some newspaper?
Yes putting their droppings in the litter box will help. I'd also suggest getting another litter box or two. It may be a good idea to get an underbed storage box about 32L. Its bigger than a cat litter tray and both of them can go in it and lie down in it.

Were they trained before you got them?

Try alot of things though. I spent ages teaching one of my boys, different litters, picking up the droppings, and in the end he started using it when I had the tray empty just left in the cage. I then introduced litter into him. But I can't put any hay in it or else he won't use it. So its good to try alot of different things - bigger litter tray, different litter, different place in the hutch etc :)

Back