• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding more than we can manage, hubby wants to stop! HELP!!!!

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
:shock::shock::shock:

We're going to start on Thursday. Starting to get scared now, especially as it's just the two boys instead of a trio now :?

Last edited:
Well, today's the day! We're just about ready to start- just having a fortifying cup of tea :D Not too nervous at the moment, just want to get on and get it done!

Will keep you updated and any ongoing advice will be much appreciated.

First question: should i put water in straight away? And at what point should I bring the litter tray in?

Is the room where you are doing this totally neutral, where neither have been before? The area around the bonding space should be neutral to reduce problems of territorial behaviour. If they have been in this space before it can be neutralised using something like a 50:50 solution of water:vinegar

Is the 'bonding space' neutral? As above

What size is the space you are using? Ideally this should be around 8 square feet, the greater space you have the harder it is to separate them, this increases the risk of injury and fighting and the longer the bonding will take.

Inititally I would put nothing in to the pen for the first hour apart from some yummy hay and a small amount of food sprinkled.

If they start fighting pull them apart using a broom, hold apart for a slow count of 10 and then release. You may need to do this a few times. If they are constantly chsing and fighting do not pursue and consider other options.

If you do not feel confident doing the bonding it may be an idea to get someone more experienced to undertake this for you.

Thank you for replying.

We are using the bathroom, less than 6' square washed with vinegar solution this morning. Nothing in the area. Started off with sniffing and a little chasing then BAM they just kept launching at each other :(

Feel awful that we've given up after barely an hour, but hubby was adamant and I had to sit with cadbury for a good 30 mins after they went for each other for the third time to calm him down. Thornton was cowering in the corner :(

Cadbury appears uninjured, but Thornton has lost two claws. Think I came out the worst.

Considering our options now. Really not wanting to try again as the fighting really did seem bad to us :? Although I was expecting scuffling I didn't really have any idea of severity, and to us this seemed like a very dangerous line :(

I think if its locked on fighting and they are doing damage to each other (ie more than humping/fur pulling) then you were right to separate them.

Have you thought about asking a rescue if they could bond them for you?

Thanks helgalush. When I seperated them for the third time they really did 'cling' to each other and they were literally on their sides on the floor trying to get their back feet under each other :( think we've done the right thing

Back