• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two 'quick' questions - advice for a novice owner

Hi everyone.

OK - relatively new to all this, although I did own bunnies when I was younger.

I do have a couple of questions which I need advice for please:

1) Would a 7' x 5' shed with an outside aviary of the same size be OK for 2 bunnies - of English and Dutch breeds?

2) For the outside aviary - does it have to be purely paving slabs (patio) or purely grass, or can I do a mixture of both?

Many thanks in advance :love:

Julz xxx

Hi :wave:, I'd say your accommodation sounds great! As for the run/aviary, there's no reason why you couldn't do a combination of slabs/grass but you would need to ensure you put mesh underneath the turf first. Make sure it's galvanized or plastic-coated so that it doesn't rust.

That sounds like a fab setup! I personally prefer grass for the aviary, as it gives them to oppitunity to graze as they would in the wild, and it absorbs pee too. You will need to dig up any existing turf, bury mesh underneath and replace the turf though, as they can dig out otherwise. Patio is good for keeping claws worn down, and the slabs can get nice and warm in the sunshine (good for sunbathing). What I have is grass with paving slabs making a path to the shed door.

Thanks Mackers for the advice about galvanised mesh on the grass section. Now just got a lllooonnnggg wait until 2012 before work can begin lol. Can't wait!

Thanks Hoppit. I'm really looking forward to starting the project. Can someone put this year onto fast forward please? :p

Julz xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Mackers for the advice about galvanised mesh on the grass section. Now just got a lllooonnnggg wait until 2012 before work can begin lol. Can't wait!

Thanks Hoppit. I'm really looking forward to starting the project. Can someone put this year onto fast forward please? :p

Julz xxx

Oh no, why d'ya have to wait? That must be torture! I had to wait for my rabbits while we have the barn converted into a house, as this place was just a concrete farm yard when I first asked for them. Every birthday, Christmas and Easter I'd get a 'voucher' like a bunny ornament to keep me going I had to wait 4 whole years til I finally go the real thing!

The size sounds really good lucky bunnies. Slabs will be fine as long as the buns are rex or prone to sore hocks. Grass is good but will get eaten quickly and there is the danger they could dig out

Oh no, why d'ya have to wait? That must be torture! I had to wait for my rabbits while we have the barn converted into a house, as this place was just a concrete farm yard when I first asked for them. Every birthday, Christmas and Easter I'd get a 'voucher' like a bunny ornament to keep me going I had to wait 4 whole years til I finally go the real thing!

lol...Reason why I have to wait Hoppit is because my parents are currently using the shed that is to be converted, as a storage place for a while, whilst our house extension is being built. Plus this gives me time to save up for all expenses for the bunnies as well.

Bought my first bunny book the other day - 'Rabbits for Dummies - 2nd Edition' and I am loving it, although I am mainly using it for everything else except for having a house bunny as my parents wont allow anything bigger than a hamster in the house now - hence the shed conversion next year lol.

Webble - thanks for the advice about Rex's and I was definitely thinking about putting mesh under the grass so the bunnies can't escape or predators digging under.

Julz xxx

Last edited:
Back