PDA

View Full Version : Peter is here!!!!

md321
22-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Our rabbit peter is now settling into his new hutch. I know some of you didn't think that he would have enough room in the hutch but he's tiny so there's plenty of room at the moment and im still looking for a bigger one for when he's older. I'll post a pic of him soon. Thanks for all your help so far, i really appreciate it. He'll be kept in the shed for a while because that's what the lady said at pets at home. Thanks again,

md321/blair

sparklefairy
22-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Welcome Peter Rabbit :wave:

I hope you have a long and happy life together :D

Please feel free to ask any questions, we are always here for any help or advice you may need :D

Post as many piccies as you like, we love cute bunny pictures :love:

md321
22-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks sparklefairy:wave:

Dustyrabbit
22-05-2011, 12:08 PM
That's lovely, welcome home Peter!

You wouldn't be the first of us to keep a bunny in a too small hutch to start off with, but glad you are planning an upgrade, Peter will be happier too!

cazzat1979
22-05-2011, 12:19 PM
cant wait to see a pic xx

Blackberry & Co
22-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Glad you finally have him home :D

Looking forward to the pictures :wave:

susie bun
22-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Welcome Peter rabbit. :) I hope you soon feel happy and settled in your new home. :wave:

Liz47
22-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Welcome Peter :wave: Looking forward to pics :love: x

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
22-05-2011, 01:03 PM
aww that's great. :) Congrats on your new arrival x

md321
22-05-2011, 01:35 PM
sorry i can't get the pics on because of technical problems. If you go onto google and type in detecting scotland then your on another forum and click on the title peter is here!!!!!!! If you scroll down you will see the picture. Sorry for the fuss:oops:

Starlight
22-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Bless :love:

I thought you said he was going to be a dutch!

He looks like an English x with some lop in him!

22-05-2011, 01:40 PM
sorry i can't get the pics on because of technical problems. If you go onto google and type in detecting scotland then your on another forum and click on the title peter is here!!!!!!! If you scroll down you will see the picture. Sorry for the fuss:oops:

which section of the forum is it in? :)

Never mind, found it! He is gorgeous! :love:

22-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I uploaded the pic for you :)

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz21/MischiefandTinkerbelle/101_0054.jpg

catxx
22-05-2011, 01:48 PM
he's a cutey pie! looks like he might grow into a big bun too...

sacol4940
22-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Awww cute :love:

Big ears :shock:

Gemmapookie
22-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Aww hes lovely :love: Welcome home Peter! :love:

I notice youre using wood shavings, you might want to change that eventually as they have been linked to eye and respiratory problems :wave:

sparklefairy
22-05-2011, 02:13 PM
:love::love::love:

fiona0529
22-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Where abouts in scotland are you? Im in law village in the clyde valley. Peter is gorgeous, hope he settles in!

md321
22-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I live in aberdeen. I was going to get a dutch rabbit but peter came up to me first and i couldn't help his cuteness, he had to be the one to buy:love:

susie bun
22-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Hello Peter, what a handsome boy you are! :love::love::love:

Mrs. Bunnykins
22-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Welcome Peter to your new home.

May your days always be filled with love, warmth, safety and your tummy filled with wonderful healthy food.

md321, don't forget to ask if you have any questions and or problems.

There are plenty of us here who can help.

Have fun together. xx

Captain Helen
22-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Aww, he's gorgeous! :love:

dizzyg
22-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Awww...he's lovely!

XXX

fiona0529
22-05-2011, 03:56 PM
He looks exactly like a bunny i saw last week in p@h in hamilton, just wondered if it was you who took him! He's lovely:)

happysaz133
22-05-2011, 04:33 PM
He's very sweet :D

Georgeypudding
22-05-2011, 04:42 PM
That's lovely, welcome home Peter!

You wouldn't be the first of us to keep a bunny in a too small hutch to start off with, but glad you are planning an upgrade, Peter will be happier too!

Deffinatly not, Sebastian started life living in a 3ft indoor cage on shavings and not enough hay.

He is gorgeous :love: Does look like he might be quite big though :shock:

Trixielover
22-05-2011, 05:19 PM
SNAP!!!:shock:So far, I have managed to find 2 other 'twins' for my 2! Matilda (RU bun on here) and Peter!!!

Lops
22-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Deffinatly not, Sebastian started life living in a 3ft indoor cage on shavings and not enough hay.

He is gorgeous :love: Does look like he might be quite big though :shock:

Me too [well, not me exactly, but my bunnies :lol: ] :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thats why we come onto forums - to get better knowledge

He's a little stunner md321 :love:

Georgeypudding
22-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Me too [well, not me exactly, but my bunnies :lol: ] :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thats why we come onto forums - to get better knowledge

He's a little stunner md321 :love:

:lol:

md321
22-05-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?topic=1741.msg14654#newI've got him a bigger hutch for when he grows out of the hutch he's got justnow. You can see a pic of his new hutch if you click on the link above.

happysaz133
22-05-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?topic=1741.msg14654#newI've got him a bigger hutch for when he grows out of the hutch he's got justnow. You can see a pic of his new hutch if you click on the link above.

Is that his current hutch? As I'm afraid that is still too small :( you would be better buying a bigger one with an attached run.

catxx
22-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Is that his current hutch? As I'm afraid that is still too small :( you would be better buying a bigger one with an attached run.

It would be ok if you attached a larger permanent secure run/put it in an aviary and had the hutch open all the time, basically using it as a place for Peter to run to if he's spooked or to nap.

md321
22-05-2011, 08:17 PM
That is the hutch that he's moving into. It might look small in the picture but actually it's fine when you see inside it. It's not small at all. I can't believe that some people on the forum think that his double decker hutch is still too small. A six foot hutch is not needed because it's only one rabbit i have and it will have MORE than enough room to move around in inside the new hutch. I don't want to hear anymore negative comments about the size of the hutch. Sorry about this but it does annoy me when people say things like that.:evil:

Jenova
22-05-2011, 08:19 PM
That is the hutch that he's moving into. It might look small in the picture but actually it's fine when you see inside it. It's not small at all. I can't believe that some people on the forum think that his double decker hutch is still too small. A six foot hutch is not needed because it's only one rabbit i have and it will have MORE than enough room to move around in inside the new hutch. I don't want to hear anymore negative comments about the size of the hutch. Sorry about this but it does annoy me when people say things like that.:evil:

It might annoy you but the comments are only for the sake of your rabbit. It is our opinions but it is also the RSPCA recommended size. Rabbits need a lot more space than people think. We're only trying to help.

sacol4940
22-05-2011, 08:19 PM

People only say these things because they care about rabbits. The minimum size that the RSPCA says you should have is a 6x2x2 hutch with a 6x4 run attached. Your double decker looks like a 4ft double max which is nowhere near the RSPCA guidelines.

People arent saying these things to be mean, they're saying them because they know your rabbit won't have enough room

Starlight
22-05-2011, 08:21 PM
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm :wave:

susie bun
22-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry some comments have upset you. :( I've got a 5 feet double decker for my rabbit - I don't regard it as ideal, nor the fact that my rabbit is single. I think he is a happy well-cared for rabbit though. Don't let people's well-meaning advice spoil your enjoyment of your new friend. :)

Lops
22-05-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm sorry some comments have upset you. :( I've got a 5 feet double decker for my rabbit - I don't regard it as ideal, nor the fact that my rabbit is single. I think he is a happy well-cared for rabbit though. Don't let people's well-meaning advice spoil your enjoyment of your new friend. :)

^^ this :wave:

Liz47
22-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Don't let people's comments upset you, although people are only trying to help. What size is the double decker hucth in feet please? And what is the size of the run you have? The RSPCA and rabbit welfare association minimum size for a rabbit is 6ft X 2ft X 2ft hutch with 6ft X 4ft run, but just because a rabbit may be lacking this does not mean the rabbit is unhappy or not well cared for.

Blackberry & Co
22-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Agreed :)

Enjoy your bunny as he settles in with you. There is so much to learn, and I'm sure none of us had perfect set ups when we started out - I certainly didn't :)

md321
22-05-2011, 08:37 PM
The recommended size is obviously not needed because a lot of people have 4 feet long hutches and mine is 4.5 feet long and for a single rabbit that is definently enough room for him. Im only 12 years old and im looking for advice on the forum not negative comments.

littleboots
22-05-2011, 08:37 PM

:thumb:

Leximo
22-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Before I got Buddy I thought the exact same as you – I thought that a double decker hutch would be plenty of room for a rabbit, and I was planning to buy a hutch quite similar to your one. Then I found RU and the “A Hutch is Not Enough” campaign and I realised that rabbits need a LOT more room than that. :) Rabbits are very active and lively animals and if you put them in a hutch that small then they won’t be able to express their natural behaviours. :(

I'm sorry that it annoys you but we are only advising you to give your rabbit the best life possible - keep in mind that Peter could grow quite big, therefore that hutch probably won't be able to give him the quality of life he deserves. Many people have been fooled into thinking that rabbits can be kept happily in hutches, but the reality is that back in the Victorian times rabbits which were going to be killed and eaten were kept in hutches. :?

poppymoon
22-05-2011, 08:39 PM
awww:love: hello peter:wave:

Liz47
22-05-2011, 08:41 PM
The recommended size is obviously not needed because a lot of people have 4 feet long hutches and mine is 4.5 feet long and for a single rabbit that is definently enough room for him. Im only 12 years old and im looking for advice on the forum not negative comments.

I'm going to just say the recommended size is needed, rabbits need a lot of space despite most people having smaller set ups. But also I didn't have anywhere near the right size accomadation when I first got my first bun but now there's been great improvements, and you are already looking out to improve Peter's accomadation already by buying a bigger hutch then the one he's in now which is great :D And wow, well done for being so mature, I'm 15 years old, lovely to have another member wanting to do the best for their (sorry, don't know if you're a boy or girl) rabbit :) :wave:

Mrs Cullen
22-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Hope you have lots of fun with Peter, Its always good to read up on bunny language. so you can understand him better and communicate with each other.:)
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

steveg
22-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi folks, Blair's dad here. Peter, our new rabbit is settling in well. We have bought another hutch as we were all aware that the 3' hutch was too small.

The new one is 4'6" x 2 levels. I know this is not 6'x2'x2' but I'm afraid it's the biggest we can get. We were told at PAH that he should go in the shed/garage at winter. The garage is not an option because we use it and a
6' hutch won't fit in our shed as it's only a 6'x4' shed.

So, as you can see, we have to compromise. What we have ordered though is a 2mx2m run, which i intend to make a permanent fixture to the hutch so he can come and go as he pleases. Peter won't have this option in winter though as the run won't fit in the shed.

I'm as much in love with this rabbit as my son, he really is cute, and although we're not meeting RSPCA standards, believe me we're doing our best.

We are fortunate to have very large lawns in which to position the run, but as the garden is not fully enclosed, he cannot get total freedom.

Any suggestions as to when we can take the hutch out of the shed would be appreciated. We were advised to keep it in the shed until he was vaccinated.

Please be assured that Peter will get the best of care and will get into the house daily. Many thanks for all your help.

Steve

Liz47
22-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi folks, Blair's dad here. Peter, our new rabbit is settling in well. We have bought another hutch as we were all aware that the 3' hutch was too small.

The new one is 4'6" x 2 levels. I know this is not 6'x2'x2' but I'm afraid it's the biggest we can get. We were told at PAH that he should go in the shed/garage at winter. The garage is not an option because we use it and a

So, as you can see, we have to compromise. What we have ordered though is a 2mx2m run, which i intend to make a permanent fixture to the hutch so he can come and go as he pleases. Peter won't have this option in winter though as the run won't fit in the shed.

I'm as much in love with this rabbit as my son, he really is cute, and although we're not meeting RSPCA standards, believe me we're doing our best.

We are fortunate to have very large lawns in which to position the run, but as the garden is not fully enclosed, he cannot get total freedom.

Any suggestions as to when we can take the hutch out of the shed would be appreciated. We were advised to keep it in the shed until he was vaccinated.

Please be assured that Peter will get the best of care and will get into the house daily. Many thanks for all your help.

Steve

I think it's great that some one the age of Blair is looking into careing for his rabbit well and has the support of his dad who wants to do the best for the bun too, in my eyes the bun has a good home there :)

Liz47
22-05-2011, 08:54 PM
About the shed, so Peter's currently in a hutch in a shed? Does the shed have opening windows or a door so bunny won't overheat in this weather? :wave:

Blackberry & Co
22-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Steve

Welcome :wave:

I sent Blair a PM yesterday, not sure if he's seen it? (Didn't realise he was only 12!)

It gets a bit intense on here sometimes - I hope it won't put Blair off visiting :)

Liz47
22-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Welcome :wave:

I sent Blair a PM yesterday, not sure if he's seen it? (Didn't realise he was only 12!)

It gets a bit intense on here sometimes - I hope it won't put Blair off visiting :)

I also sent him one today to welcome him here, if he doesn't know then PM's are private messages you can send to members, at the top of the page where you're logged in it will say Private Messages :)

catxx
22-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Steve. Yeah we do get very pent up on our minimum sizes on this forum! We just care a lot.

You can use paving slabs, tubes, all sorts to make a secure run 24/7. There are some very inventive set ups on here if you need inspiration!

In winter he won't necessarily need to go in the shed, if you "winter proof" the hutch with hutch huggers - I think there's some on ebay who custom makes them - a ton of hay, snuggle safes etc, he'll be ok. Mine has a hutch hugger, with duvet underneath, blankets over the wire, they were fine in that down to -14C plus snow this year! But also there are two of them to keep each other snuggled.

If you sort out a good sized set up, maybe he can have a wifebun in future when he's neutered!

md321
22-05-2011, 09:22 PM
the shed door is open slightly at night so he can get fresh air and it wont be too cold either because it's a small shed so it wont be cold during the night.:)

During the day i keep the shed door wide open so the sun can shine into his hutch.:)

md321
22-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the PM's:)

Dustyrabbit
22-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi again, the run your dad mentioned sounds lovely and its great that you have his help and support with Peter. Why not get Dad to take a look at the photo's of outdoor housing and perhaps he can see a way to weatherproof the hutch and run so that Peter can enjoy the space whatever the season and the weather. Although of course I am from the sunny south so perhaps don't understand the scottish climate which may not be suitable for all year round outdoor bunnies!

Hope Peter is enjoying his first night I expect he'll be tired from his exciting day.

happysaz133
22-05-2011, 10:54 PM

I'm sorry but it is true, that hutch only looks 4ft. The RSPCA recommends 6ft for a pair of rabbits, so really 5ft would be acceptable for a single bunny. Plus, double decker hutches actually loose space because of the ramp. He would be better off with a 6ft single than a 4ft double.

I hope you understand, we are only trying to help out your bunny.

happysaz133
22-05-2011, 10:56 PM

Steve

Could you clear out the shed, and let him have free run of it? He could have the double decker hutch with the door always open, so he has decent space, then attach the run onto the shed so he can come and go.

I'm sorry, in my opinion, your 'best' is not really good enough. You know what is best for the bunny and it should be provided, otherwise, its best to not own one. The run sounds good and attached to the shed would be great, but A HUTCH IS NOT ENOUGH. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Jenova
23-05-2011, 12:00 AM
I just wanted to say I think you're doing a great job so far!
They might have said keep him in until he's vaccinated because it's the flies that carry myxomatosis. I think it's warm enough for him to go out now as it's not a huge change in temperature from being inside. :)

It's up to you what you do in the winter. Most rabbits who live outside will grow a thick winter coat during the autumn and be fine outside in the winter. You can get hutch covers but I just covered mine with a fleece and plastic sheeting to keep them warm. But lots of people also bring their rabbits inside.

steveg
23-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Okay folks, I've read the welfare site, and yes, it's food for thought. The first thing I'm going to do is ensure the run we've ordered is high enough for Peter to stretch and stand up in.

Then I'll have a look at the other things mentioned on the site. I can see why you guys are so passionate, as it's all about education and giving the bunny the best life possible. This has certainly given me a few things to think about. I'll let you know how we get on.....Steve

steveg
23-05-2011, 07:58 AM
The run we've ordered is the 'Meadow Lodge Parkland' XL. The run is 200cm x114cm x 54 cm high. Is that high enough for Peter to stretch out?

Gemmapookie
23-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Okay folks, I've read the welfare site, and yes, it's food for thought. The first thing I'm going to do is ensure the run we've ordered is high enough for Peter to stretch and stand up in.

Then I'll have a look at the other things mentioned on the site. I can see why you guys are so passionate, as it's all about education and giving the bunny the best life possible. This has certainly given me a few things to think about. I'll let you know how we get on.....Steve

:thumb: Thats great news, its wonderful that you're taking peoples advise and doing the very best by your lovely little bun :D
Please do not be put off if some people seem harsh, tgey are just trying to help. You're doing a great job and Peter is a lucky boy :wave:

steveg
23-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks Gemma. We'll do our best to give him the best life possible, he deserves no less.

Mrs. Bunnykins
23-05-2011, 08:58 AM
:thumb: Thats great news, its wonderful that you're taking peoples advise and doing the very best by your lovely little bun :D
Please do not be put off if some people seem harsh, tgey are just trying to help. You're doing a great job and Peter is a lucky boy :wave:

As above.

We all look forward to hearing about Peter as he settles into his new home. The learning curve that you will be on, will hopefully be of use for future bunny owners.

Shared experiences, good and bad, photos, advice etc. We are here to help will no doubt enjoy reading all about his development and of course yours.

Best of luck.

Mrs. Bunnykins
23-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks Gemma. We'll do our best to give him the best life possible, he deserves no less.

Sound like you are going to be model bunny owners!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant.:D:D

steveg
23-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Peter booked in for vaccination tomorrow. Am I correct in saying this will be his myxi and the other will follow in a couple of weeks?

Also, and I know the vet will advise me, but are these two vaccinations annual or six monthly? And once he's had this vaccination tomorrow can he come out of our ventilated shed?

Sorry for the questions!

molly35
23-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Peter booked in for vaccination tomorrow. Am I correct in saying this will be his myxi and the other will follow in a couple of weeks?

Also, and I know the vet will advise me, but are these two vaccinations annual or six monthly? And once he's had this vaccination tomorrow can he come out of our ventilated shed?

Sorry for the questions!

Yes myxi then VHD 2 weeks after. Myxi is 6 monthly and VHD is yearly. My vets do a deal where you get a few quid off if you pay for the myxi and VHD together -might be worth asking. Not sure about coming out shed though

Sky-O
23-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Sorry for the questions!

don't ever be sorry for questions, from what I've read, you clearly all want to get this right for Peter :) He's lucky to have fallen on his feet.

Generally Myxo vaccinations are every six months, and the VHD vaccination is every year. You're also right about the next vaccination following no closer than in two weeks.

I believe the myxo vacc. takes two weeks to take hold? If you can put up fly nets and suchlike on his accommodation I can't see why that would be any less safe than being in a stuffy shed.

I showed the link to Blair, but in my website (the link is in my signature, and is linked 'Flash's Place', there is a page on there called 'Rabbit Info Articles' which is all the information I give out to people adopting from the RSPCA and may be of use to you guys :)

GrahamL
23-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Sorry for the questions!

I believe its Myxi first, then VHD in 2 weeks, yes :wave:

Re the vaccinations, its recommended that myxi is bi-annual, and VHD is annual :)

Can i just say, i think its blooming brilliant that you have supported your child and are assisting with everything your new rabbit needs.

It's nice to see a parent getting involved :)

littleboots
23-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I believe its Myxi first, then VHD in 2 weeks, yes :wave:

Re the vaccinations, its recommended that myxi is bi-annual, and VHD is annual :)

Can i just say, i think its blooming brilliant that you have supported your child and are assisting with everything your new rabbit needs.

It's nice to see a parent getting involved :)

:thumb:Just thinking exactly that reading through this

MichG
23-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Sorry for the questions!

First of all he is a gorgeous little bunny :D

Secondly as Sky-O says, never be sorry for questions! The forum is for sharing advice :)

Thirdly I think you have the answer to your myxi question and shed question!

So enjoy your little one and support your boy in caring for him, you are doing a fab job and I am sure he is going to be a happy and healthy little bun :)

thenamesJT
23-05-2011, 10:40 AM
:wave:

I really do hope you both become regular visitors to this forum! :D

You are doing a great job with Peter, you obviously care very much about his welfare, coming on here shows that! :thumb:

And 2 more Scots on this forum, WOOHOO! :lol:

clarebear
23-05-2011, 10:58 AM
OMG what a gorgeous bunnie - I've fallen for Peter already! :love:

lousilverfox
23-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I live in aberdeen. I was going to get a dutch rabbit but peter came up to me first and i couldn't help his cuteness, he had to be the one to buy:love:

im in Aberdeen too :wave:

Your bun is lovely ! :love:

steveg
23-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone, you're such a friendly bunch!

I think I'm going to get into trouble from Blair for hi-jacking his forum when he sees all my posts after school :oops:

I'll ensure he posts some pics of our set-up once it's finished. we'll try and make it as interesting and stimulating as possible for Peter.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, much appreciated.

thenamesJT
23-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone, you're such a friendly bunch!

I think I'm going to get into trouble from Blair for hi-jacking his forum when he sees all my posts after school

I'll ensure he posts some pics of our set-up once it's finished. we'll try and make it as interesting and stimulating as possible for Peter.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, much appreciated.

:lol: No harm in you both joining this forum, its lovely to see parents & their children sharing an interest. :)

I was a clueless rabbit owner before I joined, now I have 2 rabbits who have me wrapped round their paw! :lol:

Dustyrabbit
23-05-2011, 11:43 AM
That's fab!

When you go for the vaccinations please make sure your vet gives Peter a good check over first - mine checks inside ears, feels tummy, makes sure bottom is clean, weighs them, looks at teeth and listens to their heart and lungs before giving any vaccinations. It wouldn't be wise to give vaccs to a rabbit who was in any way under the weather. I'd ask about neutering too (for Peter!).

Do keep a close eye on Peters eating and pooping after the vaccination as the stress of travelling and being at the vets can sometimes upset them.

It sounds like you are as hooked as your son!

Hoppit!
23-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey Steve! :wave: Wow, you guys are popular! :lol: There's not much to add really. Dusty rabbit makes a good point about the health check though. A good vet should do this automatically.

That's fab!

When you go for the vaccinations please make sure your vet gives Peter a good check over first - mine checks inside ears, feels tummy, makes sure bottom is clean, weighs them, looks at teeth and listens to their heart and lungs before giving any vaccinations. It wouldn't be wise to give vaccs to a rabbit who was in any way under the weather. I'd ask about neutering too (for Peter!).

Do keep a close eye on Peters eating and pooping after the vaccination as the stress of travelling and being at the vets can sometimes upset them.

It sounds like you are as hooked as your son!

It's also a good idea to ask about rearguard (protection against flystrike) and claw clipping. For more general info I posted my rabbit care sheet on Blair's thread here, third post down:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288707

Roseberry
23-05-2011, 11:56 AM
hewo Peter Waabbitt!

steveg
23-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah, think I might hang around, if Blair allows me!

The veterinary nurse said Peter will get a top to toe check before hand. I also asked about neutering, and will be told more about that tomorrow.

I'll be away to work after the vets but will ensure he's checked on very regularly to make sure he's eating etc as normal.

Thanks again for all the advice - there sure is a lot to learn, but we'll get there :)

Liz47
23-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah, think I might hang around, if Blair allows me!

The veterinary nurse said Peter will get a top to toe check before hand. I also asked about neutering, and will be told more about that tomorrow.

I'll be away to work after the vets but will ensure he's checked on very regularly to make sure he's eating etc as normal.

Thanks again for all the advice - there sure is a lot to learn, but we'll get there :)

Sounds like Peter is in a very good home with very good owners who are willing to improve his set up, even though you've only had him a day! :D

23-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Sounds like Peter has a great home, well done, you seem to be doing everything right, good on you Steve and Blair! :D

23-05-2011, 08:40 PM
The run we've ordered is the 'Meadow Lodge Parkland' XL. The run is 200cm x114cm x 54 cm high. Is that high enough for Peter to stretch out?

It looks like a fab run. :D How big is Peter? It's usually best for a run to be 2ft high and 54cm is just under but as long as he can stand up on his back legs fully then it should be fine. I don't think it would be too much work to add a few cm onto the bottom if needs be? :)

Pebblesetc
23-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Looks like a great run!
It's fantastic that Peter has such an obviously loving home, with parental involvement, and willingness to do things for his benefit.
It's great that you've asked about neutering :D
Sounds like with a few housing adjustments (which you're already considering), Peter will be a very happy bunny with a great family :D

batmobile
23-05-2011, 09:43 PM
When he is neutered, is Peter going to get a wifey bun? They really love company of their own kind and there is nothing nicer than watching them snuggle together.

md321
23-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Im not sure but i'll think about it.

Jenova
23-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Im not sure but i'll think about it.

Lots of people will tell you to get him a friend. But I think for now the important thing is getting used to having him and learning about him. It's something you can think about in the future. It is great having a pair as it makes them very happy to have a friend but things can go wrong too, like they can fight. Have a read of all the threads on here and when you've had Peter a while (and you dad agrees) you can always think about getting a friend then.

md321
24-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks jenova:wave:

William
24-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Yeah, it would be good to get him a friend after he is neutered. Maybe it give it a couple months or so after he's neutered to think about it and also to let his hormones die down (best not to bond a newly neutered rabbit until 8 wks after neuter anyways)

steveg
24-05-2011, 09:14 AM
That's interesting William. I estimate that gives us about 16 weks to have a think 'cos it'll be at least eight weeks before he's ready for the op.

Hopefully Blair will get a few more photos on the site after school.

Away to the vet soon for vaccination - can you believe it, I'm nervous!!!:oops:

Sky-O
24-05-2011, 09:27 AM
That's interesting William. I estimate that gives us about 16 weks to have a think 'cos it'll be at least eight weeks before he's ready for the op.

Hopefully Blair will get a few more photos on the site after school.

Away to the vet soon for vaccination - can you believe it, I'm nervous!!!:oops:

Good luck for the vaccination, I'm sure all will be fine :)

You have plenty of time to read and think about a friend but right now the most important thing is focusing on Peter and getting to know him and learning more about bunnies. The rest will come in time :)

steveg
24-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh, and another thing. I see a few of you have mentioned wood shavings aren't great for them. Two questions:-

1. What do you recommend instead?

2. Why on earth do p@h sell it if it's been linked to eye and respiratory problems? Surely they know that people are going to buy it when it's stacked right next to the hutches. They ought to advise you against it at the till if they know you have a rabbitt. :rolleyes:

GrahamL
24-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Oh, and another thing. I see a few of you have mentioned wood shavings aren't great for them. Two questions:-

2. Why on earth do p@h sell it if it's been linked to eye and respiratory problems? Surely they know that people are going to buy it when it's stacked right next to the hutches. They ought to advise you against it at the till if they know you have a rabbitt. :rolleyes:

1) other substrates are available, and other ways of lining hutches/enclosures are lino type flooring etc. Substrates such as megazorb/carefresh are great for litter trays

2) Because people will buy it, as they can make money from it. People dont know any better, because its not something thats pushed :wave:

Pebblesetc
24-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Hay is good bedding and tasty too :D

I just use newspaper but my bun is an indoor bun.

They sell it because they aren't the best informed with regard to rabbit needs. They sell hutches that are far too small even though they aren't suitable either. Their job is just to sell stuff unfortunately.

The worst thing I saw in there was 2 lionlops, in a cramped tank/cage thing on sawdust. Lionlops are very fluffy bunnies indeed. They were wearing most of their bedding :roll:

Some pets at homes are better than others. It can be quite hit and miss. I generally find that the places in towns that have a big animal tradition (such as racing towns e.g. cheltenham) have the most informed staff. But I guess they bring their information from their own experiences where in the other pets at homes their info is just what they're told on their (many) training days :)

Crunchie
24-05-2011, 09:44 AM

I just line my litter trays with newspaper and put some hay on top. It means that the dirty newpaper can just be lifted out with (normally) no bits and pieces stuck in the litter tray. After that I wash the tray out and leave it to dry as I have several trays to make cleaning them out a bit quicker.

Fluffers
24-05-2011, 09:44 AM

..because it makes a profit and/or they are possibly ignorant to the problems it can cause :evil:

1) Line the hutch with lino
2) Add towels/fleecy blankets for warmth & comfort (assuming bun doesn't chew them)
3) Insert litter bowl (high sided plastic bowl/box). Line with lots of newspaper (i.e. 3-4 full papers at the bottom) & fill with hay.
4) Ensure no hay elsewhere in the hutch. Put any droppings inside the litter bowl to give the bun(s) a clue ;)
5) Wait for it to be used!
6) Remove soiled newspaper & hay twice a day. Top up with fresh hay.

Fluffers
24-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi again :wave:

Just been reading through some more of the thread :) Re. your accommodation, would it be possible to have the hutch inside the shed permanently, but make a bun sized hole in the back of it which could be lined up to a cat flap in the shed ...then attach the run you've ordered to the shed? This is a system a lot of rabbit owners use & works well :) It would give Peter 24/7 access to a secure hutch & run, somewhere shady in the summer & warm in the winter. Your hutch will last longer but most importantly Peter will be safe :wave:

Going forward, IF you decide to get him a hunbun :love: your accommodation will be more acceptable to more rescues :D You could also consider adding to the run in the future without having to swap the main "house" around :wave:

steveg
24-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks folks for the replies. I think we'll go down the newspaper route with lots of nice straw and hay.

Fluffers, I don't think out hutch will fit in the shed, which is only a 6' x 4'. We got the run today and Peter looked so happy and content in it, with a few bits and pieces to make it interesting. It really was a joy to see him so content and happily munching away at the grass.

I intend connecting the run to the hutch, although I was advised by the vet to limit his access to grass to about an hour a day for a month or so to prevents stomach problems. He loves dandelion leaves, which we have in abundance in a field across from the house.

He got his first vaccination today which went well, i think I was more nervous than him.

New hutch up and running, much bigger than the first so with the run attached and his very regular forays into the house I'm hoping he is as happy with us as we are with him! :)

Dustyrabbit
24-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Glad Peter is enjoying his new home.

Just a word of caution, but perhaps someone has told you this already - sorry if I'm repeating, Peter needs to be introduced to grass very gradually as it can upset a bun (and especially a baby buns) tummy. I would start with just 5 mins on the first few days and build up very gradually. The same is true of any new foods.

steveg
24-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks Dusty, i'll keep an eye on that. I did discuss this with the vet and she said no more than an hour a day on grass for the first month or so. Having searched posts here, most suggest a lot less, so we'll go with a good bit less and keep an eye on him. He certainly seemed to like it but now I'm worried about his tum! :roll: Thanks.

Blackberry & Co
24-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Dusty, i'll keep an eye on that. I did discuss this with the vet and she said no more than an hour a day on grass for the first month or so. Having searched posts here, most suggest a lot less, so we'll go with a good bit less and keep an eye on him. He certainly seemed to like it but now I'm worried about his tum! :roll: Thanks.

I have a bun with a sensitive tummy, so if he goes out on grass I cover some of the lawn up with cardboard or a mat, and just leave a small area for him to eat :)

little-laura
24-05-2011, 08:47 PM
sorry but

peter rabbit has a fly upon his nose

so he flipped it and he flopped it and the fly flew away

floppy ears and curly whiskers

^___________________________^

ripminnie
24-05-2011, 08:50 PM
:? :? :lol:

sorry but

^___________________________^

little-laura
24-05-2011, 08:54 PM
:? :? :lol:

its a nursery song I just to work with children... shuddap dont judge me :p :P hehehehe

:D

Hoppit!
24-05-2011, 08:58 PM
its a nursery song I just to work with children... shuddap dont judge me :p :P hehehehe

:D

I'd forgotten all about that song! Must sing it with my young charge.

Do you know that horrible bee squishing one?

little-laura
24-05-2011, 09:04 PM

I dont recall it but may if its sung or written :P

Alibunmum
24-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Oh yes, the bee. I used to drive my mum mad singing that one. My wee one has learned it at nursery and I feel really strange she is now singing it to me!

steveg
24-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought you'd been at the sherry! :lol:

susie bun
24-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Oh yes, the bee. I used to drive my mum mad singing that one. My wee one has learned it at nursery and I feel really strange she is now singing it to me!

We do the bee one at Brownies. Haven't had it for a while actually ...

Tuckerbunnies
24-05-2011, 11:33 PM

I agree :)