• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I move riley...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abi2047

Mama Doe
Nice posts only please. :wave:

To get riley used to being around the girls before bonding would it be possible so give riley one half of my room and the girls the other. They'll have a play pen to seperate them and they'll never actually be together until I start bonding. Is this a good idea or will it ruin their future bond?

I really aren't sure on this but I would wait until the babies are older and spayed as they're only young and have recently moved home and seeing another big bunny might unsettle them a bit?? Or they may not like him in their space? :wave: x

You may find that the girls start to fight with each other (referred aggression).
Especially when their hormones kick in.

See, I don't know. I've heard quite a few people on here saying that the easiest bonds are baby buns with adults, since they don't pose a threat. Surely it wouldn't be a problem if they were spayed asap?

See, I don't know. I've heard quite a few people on here saying that the easiest bonds are baby buns with adults, since they don't pose a threat. Surely it wouldn't be a problem if they were spayed asap?

They'll be spayed as soon as they are old enough and the vet says they're ready. :)

Having done this, and seen it break down in a very nasty fight when the girl hit hormones, it can be done, but it has its risks and dangers (like with any bonding). In my opinion only, moreso than if you try an adult female that already has hormones, because the girls are an unknown quantity with regards to their hormones. With two this risk is higher.

Plus, unless Riley has been checked by a vet and is definitely neutered, there is the possibility that someone has lied to Abi and he isn't neutered, which gives a whole completely different problems. (if he has been vet checked and certified 'neutered' the that's obviously not an issue).

They'll be spayed as soon as they are old enough and the vet says they're ready. :)

I would say talk to your vet about it, see what they recommend- how old the babies will have to be before they're spayed and make sure they can quadruply check that Riley is neutered!

The rabbits are only 7 weeks old or so, and won't be spayed till about 5-6 months. Once the hormones kick in, I'd guess there will be trouble.

When I bonded Frank and petal, Petal was too young to be spayed, but once she got hormonal, she gave him a terrible time! Once spayed, the difference was amazing.

The rabbits are only 7 weeks old or so, and won't be spayed till about 5-6 months. Once the hormones kick in, I'd guess there will be trouble.

When I bonded Frank and petal, Petal was too young to be spayed, but once she got hormonal, she gave him a terrible time! Once spayed, the difference was amazing.

I know they are only young, but different buns come into hormones at different times- Oscar never was hormonal before is neuter! I guess the best thing for Abi to do would be to discuss it with her vet, and then see where to take it from there. It is her decision at the end of the day, and she only wants what is best for her buns.

Any bond is a risk at the end of the day...

I really don't have the slightest clue about bonding, but seeing a bigger bun might scare the girls, and if he were to try to nip/get to them through the bar it could make Mishka and Sofia scared of Riley for the future. Maybe, really I have no clue...so I'm probably talking nonsense :oops:.x

Hey Abi :wave:

I'm not a bonding expert and have no idea but gut instinct tells me to keep them seperate until the girls are spayed and Riley is 100% neutered.

They will have some inkling that Riley exists as they will be able to smell him, say if you stroked Riley outside and then you stroked the girls. By the time you bond they will have smelt his smell. You don't want anything bad to happen. Not saying it will but female rabbits and their hormones can be dangerous and you wouldn't want Riley to be hurt or for him to get frightened and hurt one of the girls.

You don't need to rush, you have plently of time to bond them. The girls are just getting used to their new home and you, and by just seeing you and not Riley its building up their relationship with you and allowing them to trust you.

I don't know 100% if Riley is neutered but my auntie had a look as she worked in a rabbit sanctuary and had to sex rabbits etc but from what she can see/feel she says that he if neutered.

I don't know 100% if Riley is neutered but my auntie had a look as she worked in a rabbit sanctuary and had to sex rabbits etc but from what she can see/feel she says that he if neutered.

I would still get a vets opinion to be on the safe side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back