• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Most rabbits have mycoplasma'

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I've never heard this before!!

Apparently almost ALL rabbits have mycoplasma and have frequent flare ups until their lungs get so scarred that they form tumours.. :?

I've never had a single rabbit with mycoplasma! At least I've never had one with any symptoms of mycoplasma. Is it really that common in rabbits?

I thought that was something pet rats carried??? :oops: Probably got the names mixed up though :oops:

I thought that was something pet rats carried??? :oops: Probably got the names mixed up though :oops:

It's the most common illness in rats, usually eventually resulting in death :(

But apparently most rabbits usually have it too, that's what the vet nurse said :?

It's the most common illness in rats, usually eventually resulting in death :(

But apparently most rabbits usually have it too, that's what the vet nurse said :?

Is this the same one that said that rabbits and guineas should live together? I don't think that it's true. Definitely true for rats as they seem to come into contact with it at a really young age and either fight it off or have it continually hanging around.

It's the most common illness in rats, usually eventually resulting in death :(But apparently most rabbits usually have it too, that's what the vet nurse said :?

Is it the proper name for respiratory illnesses rats are prone to? Or something else? I have read it before but don't fully know what it is, please could you explain it to me as in symptoms, any causes etc? I mean in rats, if you have the time?

Is it the proper name for respiratory illnesses rats are prone to? Or something else? I have read it before but don't fully know what it is, please could you explain it to me as in symptoms, any causes etc? I mean in rats, if you have the time?

It's the name of the bacterium which is the most common cause of respiratory illness in rats. The full name is Mycoplasma pulmonis. Symptoms include sneezing, having lots of excess porphyrin (the red stuff) round their nose and mouth, crackly lungs which can be heard and felt and also honking or pigeon noises.

It is thought that most rats will cary the bacterium but it is only harmful when they multiply rapidly. Flare ups can be prevented by not using woodshavings and not having stuff around that can be a repiratory tract irritant such as lots of dust, air fresheners etc.

It's the name of the bacterium which is the most common cause of respiratory illness in rats. The full name is Mycoplasma pulmonis. Symptoms include sneezing, having lots of excess porphyrin (the red stuff) round their nose and mouth, crackly lungs which can be heard and felt and also honking or pigeon noises.

It is thought that most rats will cary the bacterium but it is only harmful when they multiply rapidly. Flare ups can be prevented by not using woodshavings and not having stuff around that can be a repiratory tract irritant such as lots of dust, air fresheners etc.

Ah, thankyou :) Yes I read up on respirtatory illnesses before I got my rats but wasn't sure if Mycoplasma was the same thing. Thankyou

Back