• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

end of tether with eric...

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
i was an hour and a half later getting up and so he wouldn't eat. flopping uncomfortably so i gave him some metacam. way too floppy for my liking so i took him to my vets (save having to possibly use the emergency vet later as i have no faith in them at all).

head vet saw him. tummy totally empty so he kept him in for a few hours to syringe feed him. also had sub-cut fluids and gut stimulant. he had a good look at eric's teeth (we were booked in with our usual lady vet on tuesday) and said that although there was no damage right now, lower left molar is about to cause problems so we've brought the dental forward to monday (dreading it as last time head vet did it, it only lasted 4 weeks rather than the usual 3 months).

we're home now. i'm shattered and eric is munching a bit of hay in his tray. really pleased about that obviously but after parting with 60 quid today, i don't have enough for his dental on monday.

i have been sticking religiously to a really basic budget for ages now but its all gone out of the window as spending half of the dental money today means i can't afford the one i was budgeting for.

sorry for the rambling, woe is me, post but i feel so low right now. that awful voice in logic land says rehome him if you can't afford him but i really don't want to hear that voice.

i need 120 quid by monday. i have no one to borrow it from. if i ask the vets to let me pay in instalments, i won't be able to put anything aside for his next dental.

looking at his little face and i've just crumbled into a flood of stupid tears.

sorry. i'll probably delete this in a bit.

Does a Dental always cost you £120 :shock:

I would speak with the Vet about a payment plan. *Most* Vets really are not money grabbing, heartless people.

Also, mention the fact that his last Dental only 'lasted' 4 weeks instead of 3 months. Has Eric's occlusion altered or was the Dental done differently ? Were the spurs just burred off the last time rather than the crowns being burred right down too.

I really do understand the stress of managing to fund Veterinary Treatment :cry:

People who say 'well if you cant afford Vet Fees you should not have Pets' often fail to grasp the fact that ANYONE'S financial circumstances could change at any time. Maybe those people would be less quick to judge if it happened to them.

Vibes for Eric xx

I would speak with the Vet about a payment plan. *Most* Vets really are not money grabbing, heartless people.

Also, mention the fact that his last Dental only 'lasted' 4 weeks instead of 3 months. Has Eric's occlusion altered or was the Dental done differently ? Were the spurs just burred off the last time rather than the crowns being burred right down too.

I really do understand the stress of managing to fund Veterinary Treatment :cry:

People who say 'well if you cant afford Vet Fees you should not have Pets' often fail to grasp the fact that ANYONE'S financial circumstances could change at any time. Maybe those people would be less quick to judge if it happened to them.

Vibes for Eric xx

Blackie's used to cost £150+ every time.....a cost I had never expected! Luckily my mum lent me the money.

It's certainly worth querying why the time between dentals varies so much.

Sorry to hear you are down too.

Money is a complete nightmare when it comes to vet fees. I could not believe the costs presented to us yesterday. I could see my OHs face change colour. I felt numb.

OH is working but the debts are mounting up as I have not had any decent work in a year.

The biggest problem is if any of the others get sick. What will we do ? So I can understand how you feel.

Hope Eric is fine now and eating.

Hugs to you. xxx

(((hugs)))

What is the special diet Eric is on?

he's not on a special diet - just has a sensitive gut where grass/baled hay - and it appears any new growth this year - is concerned (ie all the cheap stuff).

i give him a few ss pellets twice per day, dried leaves, sweetheart cabbage and herbs plus i top up his hay twice a day at least - he's a good hay muncher but sadly that won't keep the dentals away, just make them (hopefully) less often.

Vibes for Eric xx

I think Twickenham is very very good with their fees. Only cost us £25.00 to see them on Tuesday and that included painkillers and baytril.

They did Cutie-pies dental for nothing when she was spayed.

The emergency was £161.00 and only one shot of abx and one syringe of baytril.

You don't want to know how much the exotic vets in Sheen is charging.

Vibes for Eric xx

yup, 120 or there abouts - which already takes into account the discount i already get for having them registered on the vets own health thing i pay each month.

as for the dental, i'm only assuming that it was done differently by the head vet to the way its done by our usual vet. at the time, i was really shocked that he needed another one so quickly as even from a very young age, he had never had them more often than approx every 8 weeks.

eric's now made an appearance and scoffed his breakfast. i'm a worried about bringing the dental forward by a day too as our usual vet isn't in til tuesday but as today's vet recommended it, i can't really disagree. just hope that eric stays well enough for the ga.

I've no advice just didn't want to read and run, I understand only too well as I've worried about the financial implications of various aspects of bunnies too.

I know the little guy means the world to you so hope you can somehow concentrate on him being well rather than having to worry about money at the same time :cry::cry:

thank you.

only you guys on here actually understand how much he means to me. and none of you think i'm stupid for it.

thank you.

only you guys on here actually understand how much he means to me. and none of you think i'm stupid for it.

Of course we don't think you're stupid!

If you are confident that Eric doesn't need the dental as soon as Monday then wait for your usual vet - you are the paying customer, so you should have a choice of who does the dental.

(((hugs)))) You're not stupid at all. Can't add anything to whats already been said but didn't want to read and run. x

I'm really sorry to hear this about Eric.... he's such a silly bunny :roll::cry:

Has Eric had all investigations to be sure it is separation anxiety related? Could it be something like arthritis or another pain issue somewhere? I wonder what your vet would feel about daily NSAID's for two weeks perhaps just to rule out a pain origin for all Eric's episodes. I'm wondering if you not being there is just the straw that breaks the camel's back and not the actual route cause?? I know this was the case with Nino.

Big hugs for you both xx

If you are confident that Eric doesn't need the dental as soon as Monday then wait for your usual vet - you are the paying customer, so you should have a choice of who does the dental.

THIS ^ ^ ^ definitely!

Cheeky's 1st dental cost me nearly £300. :shock: She's just had her second at new vets so I was prepared for the worst. They charged me £75 :shock:

Back