• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny transport question

thebuz

Warren Scout
Today we have a triple threat vet appointment. :lol: We're taking all three of our buns to the vet for their checkups. 2 of them are bonded and will be going in a carrier together. My question is about the third bun. I was going to take him in my lap wrapped in a towel. He's a REW with limited sight and gets freaked out easily. The vet is about 1/2 hour away. Just wanted to see if this would be ok or if anyone has another idea since we don't have another carrier and would need to keep him separate from the other buns as they are not bonded together.

Thanks as always for any help/advice offered!!! :love:

I'd be too scared to do that with mine - would be dangerous if he got away while driving, and obviously it would be horrendous if he got away from you out of the car.

have you got any strong cardboard boxes around? we usually take the trio in a cardboard box as large enough carriers with top openings are near impossible to find.

He won't move when we hold him ever. If he's in my arms he literally will stay like that until he's put down again even if it's to take him for snuggles in the bed so that part wasn't a worry. My other two are a different story and would jump out of my arms at any given opportunity. I think his docility is because he is almost blind so he would rather stay safe in my arms where he knows no harm will come to him rather than jump and have no idea where he would end up.

I looked around and only have big massive tupperware tubs which are too deep and too narrow for the length of time and we wouldn't be able to fit it in the car so not sure what to do.

My worry was more about his bathroom needs as he would be safe in the bunny burrito and hopefully feel a bit safer since I'd be able to stroke him through this stressful ordeal.

Thoughts?

A carrier is better in case you have a crash. Also some vets disapprove of rabbits not in carriers. The first time I took Mischa to the vets it was an emergency and we hadn't even thought of getting a carrier and got some disapproving looks form the reception staff. Mind you even if we had had a carrier I think I would've carried him as he was rolling and unable to stand.

Ok good to know. We may go out today and grab a second carrier. It's tough because we are in a small apartment so were hoping to avoid that but safety first. :D

Ok good to know. We may go out today and grab a second carrier. It's tough because we are in a small apartment so were hoping to avoid that but safety first. :D

You can always tuck them under a table somewhere with the door off so they can use them as a hideyhole. :)

you could get a fold up carrier. They're ok for supervised use and can be folded up really small to be packed away.
I have a fold up fabric dog pen for my gerbils and mice and it just gets tucked behind the sofa when we don't use it.

No room under a table as we have already used every bit of storage space but I really like the fold up carrier idea!!! thanks guys!:love:

Back