• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need to help bunnies :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I've just taken my huge bag of Ings hay to Bleakholt animal sanctuary for the bunnies, as mine don't like it :roll: I'm traumatised! I want to rescue all the bunnies, they look so sad :( I fell in love with one called Daisy, she was a dwarf lop, White with grey and brown patches, and her water bottle was completely empty :( I couldn't see anyone so I took the bottle off and filled it for her from the nearby tap. She was SO thirsty :( she couldn't get the water out quick enough so I kept squeezing it for her so more came out. She drank for AGES :( I think she must have got missed by mistake, because all the others had water. Then I read her sign, and it said she's not ready for rehoming yet (probably as she's not neutered yet) and that she was dumped in a box :cry: I just burst into tears! I was distraught :cry: I wanted to take her home with me :( I've been thinking and thinking how I could do it, where would I put her etc :( I would really really love to have a rescue like so many of you do on here, I just don't have the money. I feel like the reason I'm here is to help bunnies :(

You could do voluntary work at a local rescue. Even just doing stuff like paperwork, trips to the rubbish tip or carboots would be a big help for a small rescue.

I run a small sanctuary, and I'm certainly not rich! :lol:

You could do voluntary work at a local rescue. Even just doing stuff like paperwork, trips to the rubbish tip or carboots would be a big help for a small rescue.

I run a small sanctuary, and I'm certainly not rich! :lol:

Yes I've been thinking about doing that. I don't know of any specific rabbit rescues in my area but I thought that maybe Bleakholt might let me help with their bunnies... I think they need educating a bit on bunnies anyway, as they all had huge bowls of food!! I was glad to see they had lots of hay too though :)

Aw, Ripminnie

I think that we all know how you feel and many of us feel the same. I am sure that the rescue will be really happy for your help and I bet they would be distressed to know that Daisy was missed for her water too.

If you take Daisy, would you ever be able to give her a friend to play with? If not, perhaps you are better to let her find a home where she can. I really do know how you feel, its so hard to walk away from them.

Aw, Ripminnie

I think that we all know how you feel and many of us feel the same. I am sure that the rescue will be really happy for your help and I bet they would be distressed to know that Daisy was missed for her water too.

If you take Daisy, would you ever be able to give her a friend to play with? If not, perhaps you are better to let her find a home where she can. I really do know how you feel, its so hard to walk away from them.

Oh absolutely, I wouldn't dream of taking her on her own!! There were plenty of other needy beautiful buns there too! It isn't practical at the moment for me, I just really really want to :(

I would second the volunteering idea, I bet they would be so grateful for someone to feed/muck out the rabbits one day a week!

eta - P.S. I know how you feel wanting to help, I would if there were any near enough to me. Visting Windwhistle Warren made me really want to help out, though for a different reason to your visit! I was just inspired by the care and individual knowledge Alice had of each bun, it was lovely, I didnt want to leave :oops: I offered to do a few litter trays when I was there deciding which bun, and it was lovely, much better than doing my own ungrateful buns' tray, he tries to steal it back from the bin bag :lol:

Last edited:
What about fostering? That way you don't have vets fees or accomodation to worry about but it gets a bun out of a rescue setting into a home. I love fostering and feel like it is making a small contribution towards the massive numbers of buns in rescues.

Back