• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging - is it essential to a rabbits happiness

Is being allowed to dig essential to a rabbits health and wellbeing

• Yes

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Not sure/don't know

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Its a natural behaviour but is it essential for a rabbits wellbeing?

We are told that we should allow a pet to express its natural behaviours so should all owners provide access to a grass run or a digging pit? Thoughts please :D

my two love to dig, but only when the digging box is inside it seems, now they have moved outside they dont bother with it, infact I've taken it away as they kept weeing in it :roll:

I believe it is essential BUT it doesn't mean you need to provide a digging pit. A bunny will also happily dig for hours in an old towel so IMO, as long as it can 'dig' in something, it will be able to express itself naturally.

I believe it is essential BUT it doesn't mean you need to provide a digging pit. A bunny will also happily dig for hours in an old towel so IMO, as long as it can 'dig' in something, it will be able to express itself naturally.

ditto that. I've never seen Eli dig outside but he does dig at the floor and corners of the shed. I've seen all 3 dig in piles of hay too.

Well rabbits need entertainment but not all rabbits like to dig, I've given mine 'dig boxes' before and they haven't been touched, and in their runs (on grass) they don't dig either

Yes. Mine are so much happier now they are able to dig some earth. Even just having access to some soil they like to dance around and roll over on top of it even if they don't dig.

My buns aren't really diggers, they will dig on the sofa then flop but I think thats just them wanting to get comfy. Although in the summer they will be getting a digging box I dont think it would really make them happy, their pretty happy as it is:)

I'm going to have to pave/deck over Poppy's enclosure as she seems so driven to dig I'm scared she will reach Australia while I'm at work in a morning:shock: She's not trying to dog 'out' as such but make a burrow.

I dont mind her doing it but it really worries me that she will have dug herself out of our garden. I have blocked her fave spots off at the moment and intend to sort it all out during half term. I will put her a digging box in instead:D

I think giving them the option is beneficial, even if they don't take to it! I didn't think mine were diggers, until they found a loose-dirt dry sun-warmed patch and went buck wild! Digging, rolling, binkying in it! And it's started a trend - now Pat digs her litter tray after I've clean it out :roll:

Mine ignore digging boxes :roll: duvets and towels are much referable for digging it seems!

i have never seen mine attempt to dig, but i have never provided them with a box either. maybe I will and I will see their reaction.

Yes, but mine will have no luck digging through the concreate. Also when on grass i supervise so that i can check they are not digging up the garden. I do believe it's natural though and by that standard some of the buns are not displaying natural behaviors on a daily basis.

Depends on the rabbits. Mine never dig, and have never tried. They've been on soil and grass for hours and never once have they tried to dig. So no it isn't essential for MY rabbits happiness.

Yes, my bunnies dog for hours on fleece blankies and their much-loved binky cushion.

Back