• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm such an idiot

HorseyHolly

Mama Doe
Had my male hammy free ranging in my room but completely forgot and left him alone for 20 mins, remembered and went into my room, heard noises in my females cage, immediately took the lid off and he was in there, they were fighting each other as expected. Quickly scooped Pixie (female) up and checked her for any injuries, there were none so checked Gremlin and he was fine too :oops: Fortunately, Pixie was in season two nights ago (they come into season every 4 days) so I don't think there's any chance of babies. Pixies cage is up on my chest of drawers, and despite my best efforts Gremlin climbs up a vertical pole just to go 'speak' to her, fortunately he's never got in until tonight :( Her cage is pretty secure but there's some heavy things I've put on top of a bit and they must of moved when I was moving it a bit earlier >.<
I'm just checking - hamster definitely can't be pregnant if she came into season two days before?

I'm so annoyed with myself, if I'd come in any later I could of ended up with a dead or seriously injured hammy :cry: :cry: Or if she was in season then even more hammies, I'm usually quite careful when she's in season though so I don't think that's incredibly likely (I do have an emergency plan though if they did) :oops:
At least I'll remember never to leave him alone again!

we all make mistakes. at least you found them in time before any injuries. as cute as they are, vibes for no baby hamsters. x

Eeek! Scary!
If she was fighting him off then I think it means she's not allowed him to mate with her anyway, so (as far as I know, limited on this!) she shouldnt be preggers.
It's always a risk having hamsters near each other... My bridge hamsters were a male and female and the male would follow her constantly if I let them in their balls together!

I think they fight after mating anyway (in the wild if the males not quick enough the female will kill him:shock:) I'm not too sure though. I was going to get another male but Pixie stole my heart :oops::roll: I do really doubt there will be babies but I never know :oops:

Back