• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor poor Maud :(

Lops

Mama Doe
Today Maud had to go vets at 8.20 am

I mentioned two weeks ago about her sore eye?.. Well, I took her vets and he couldn't see anything wrong,
I took her back a week later as she started 'dribbling' and I was thinking 'dental',
He looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything wrong with her teeth either, so, she was put under today to see whats causing the eye and cheek to swell, everything points to a dental, but its not.

Her teeth are ok but she has two abscesses, one behind her eye and one on her jaw
The one on her jaw is pushing her cheek onto her teeth which is sore
The vet nurse said its sad, in 40 years she has never seen a rabbit recover from them.
They thought Maudymoo was 'a darling' and she behaved so well, when she came round from the op they offered her some food [ I sent her with a lunch box pak-up] and she ate it all!!

Thats my maud :D

They have drained horrid stuff from her and shes on Baytril and metacam as from tomorrow [had jabs today] they say it very likely they will refill

You would never know she'd just had an op as shes eating, drinking, weeing and pooping, quite lively and alert!
At the risk of breaking the quad bond, I am keeping her in home on vets advise, as she needs to be kept warm and draught free after having a GA

Oh Maudymoo, I do love you so :love:

Bless her. Thank goodness you persisted in getting her looked at.

Loads of get well vibes for her, along with anti-abscess vibes.

Has your vet done a culture and sensitivity test to see which bacteria are present in the wound?I dont think baytril is the correct antibiotic for an abscess.Sending Maud all the healing vibes in the world xxx

Thank you both xxx

Has your vet done a culture and sensitivity test to see which bacteria are present in the wound?I dont think baytril is the correct antibiotic for an abscess.Sending Maud all the healing vibes in the world xxx

Oh I dont know? she did mention something about bacteria and she also mentioned another name of antibiotic, but that could have been the injection they gave?

Should that test have been done as standard?

Thank you xx

Thank you both xxx

Oh I dont know? she did mention something about bacteria and she also mentioned another name of antibiotic, but that could have been the injection they gave?

Should that test have been done as standard?

Thank you xx

If your vets are rabbit savvy they should have done the test when cleaning out the abscess so they can find out which bacteria are present and the best antibiotics to use to treat it.Have you got a receipt,it should say on there which drugs have been administered?Also have you got pain relief to give Maud?

If your vets are rabbit savvy they should have done the test when cleaning out the abscess so they can find out which bacteria are present and the best antibiotics to use to treat it.Have you got a receipt,it should say on there which drugs have been administered?Also have you got pain relief to give Maud?

Is the metacam the pain relief? I have to give that twice a day.

receipt says

baytril oral
baytril inj
consultation
dental
GA
metacam oral
metoclopromide inj
rimadyl inj

Is the metacam the pain relief? I have to give that twice a day.

receipt says

baytril oral
baytril inj
consultation
dental
GA
metacam oral
metoclopromide inj
rimadyl inj

Yes metacam is pain relief :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

How is Maud today?

She's fine thank you xxx
Still eating, drinking weeing and pooping well :lol:

This is what happened when she was re-united with her husbun :love:
[she was in home with us all night to keep warm and draught free]

Photo0237.jpg

I don't want to alarm you but I noticed your vet has administered both Rimadyl (carprofen) and Metacam. They are NSAIDs and should not be used concurrently.

Quote from the link regarding carprofen:

Avoid using concurrently with, or within 24 hours of, use of other NSAIDs

Some vets and the manufacturers of Metacam prefer a period of 3-5 days separation.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/s/00Chem/ChComplex/Carprofen.htm

:shock::shock::shock:

Thank you for the info - its been given already tho,
is there anything I should look out for?

Back