• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying

abi2047

Mama Doe
Me and my mum were just talking about Mishka and Sofia. I mentioned spaying them but mum said it's not worth it if Riley is already neutered. :?

If you don't spay them, they will not bond.

They will get hormonal and will have such a high chance of fighting that you might as well buy their set ups to keep three singles right now.

They'll have an 80% chance of getting cancer too.

If you don't spay them, they will not bond.

They will get hormonal and will have such a high chance of fighting that you might as well buy their set ups to keep three singles right now.

They'll have an 80% chance of getting cancer too.
All this - you already know this though

They could still be bonded, mine are despite not being spayed, but it really is best if they are spayed. They will likely spray and be grumpy without being done, not to mention the cancer risk.

You do know all this really though Abi.

I do already know this but I don't know what to do. :( Mum's saying it's a waste of money, but it's not.:cry:

Argue it. Or you'll have three singles.
Abi trios are generally hard enough as it is without having 2 of them having raging hormones. You honestly have next to no chance of it working out if you can't convince your mam to get them spayed.

Tell her it will cost you more and be a lot more hassle if you have to buy 3 complete setups if they don't bond.

Why not show her the info pack I sent you? Or get her to come to the RSPCA Open Day tomorrow, or show her info on the RWA site, or on here, or get her to talk to Charles At Orwell Vets (the most reliable rabbits vets in our area), or ask her to come on and talk on here.

Even without the bonding issue it eradicates the large risk of hormonal cancers. Its no different from someone with the breast cancer gene doing all these can to protect themselves from getting that horrific illness.

Also, its cheaper to spay when healthy and before bonding, than after fights or if they are ill with the cancer and need additional meds, etc.

Trust me once those 'teen' hormones and 'I want babies' hormones kick in, you wont want to be around them let alone Riley. Aswell as the points already mentioned, your female will most likely want to have a litter and living with a male who wont mounther, let alone produce babies, will drive her crazy.

As others have said, you know they need doing, as you'll risk them fighting with each other as well as Riley when they get older.

Just a thought, could you get in touch with your local RSPCA? Our does neuter vouchers for some or all the cost, could that be an option for you? I couldn't use ours because the vets it worked at was too far away :?

yeah like the others said they probably wont bond and it's not worth the risk of the 2 girls falling out. They really should be spayed, hence the reason people wanted you to rescue. :)

As others have said, you know they need doing, as you'll risk them fighting with each other as well as Riley when they get older.

Just a thought, could you get in touch with your local RSPCA? Our does neuter vouchers for some or all the cost, could that be an option for you? I couldn't use ours because the vets it worked at was too far away :?

I've offered Abi whatever help she needs. We don't currently do discount vouchers for rabbit spays though.

Apart from the uterine cancer risk, the risk of them fighting as a result of not being speyed is very high. Even if they get along at first it is very likely that they will fall out at some point going forward. The vets bill you will have as a result will be MUCH higher than the one for having them both spayed.

Back