• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help i'm losing her UPDATE she's gone

willowflower27

Mama Doe
As posted earlier
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288365
She has awful head tilt and huge burn in her mouth where they cauterised her wound.
She's on metocloprimide twice daily, septrin twice daily metacam once daily lapizole and fibreplex I'm syringing baby food mixed with critical care every 2 hours she's hungry but unable to eat.
She's stopped passing poo's i'm very worried vet has given 80mls subcut fluids but has told me to prepare for worst as they can't do anything else I feel so useless I trust my vet. BUT I see my girl trying to eat and she's telling me its not time.

Is their anything I can do? Or should I give up?

Last edited:
Sending huge vibes and hoping that she can come through this.

I have no idea about this but wondering if its possible for them to feed her through a tube at all to help keep her strength up, get her tum working again?

Really thinking of you xx

i'm not sure there is much more you can do for her :(

It's up to her if she pulls through or not. You seem to be doing everything you can for her.

Sending vibes your way )))))

You know your bun, and are in the best position to decide how far to go.

If its any comfort my little Joey hasn't eaten anything voluntarily for 7 days, and is on metacam, engemycin, medrone, cisipride and zantac, and on three syringe feeds a day of critical care and pellets.

He had dropped weight and stopped pooing, but last night has starting pooing a little and has put 50g back on (he's only 700g anyway)

I've kept him going becuase he still has life in him, still comes out into the garden voluntarily, is still occasionally trying to hump his partner, isn't depressed, and he hasn't give up - he just won't eat.

IF you think she's got fight in her, keep going. You'll know in your heart if she chooses to give up.

Loads of vibes for her xx

Could the Vet prescribe Cisapride aswell as Metoclopromide. Cisapride works on the lower GI tract

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/cisapride.htm

Cisapride was withdrawn for a few years but is now reavailable.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282785&highlight=cisapride

Failing that Ranitidine (Zantac) does have some prokinetic effects on the lower GI tract aswell as being an anti GI ulcer med

Tube feeding is an option

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformatio...iv_TechniquesRabbit/nasogastrictuberabbit.htm

Last edited:
Thank you all I'll contact vet and see if they would be willing to prescribe cisapride but may not be a viable options as its now weekend but if not I'll persuade them to tube her she has so much oral pain. I'm sure this is her main problem as she's still charging around living room ok even with a head tilt

thank you for your concern means a lot when i can come on here for support and advice.

Ava's Slightly better i've contacted the vet she's changed from metacam to vetergesic as she's so painful in her mouth she cant eat any solids. she has passed some poo's though so thats a positive but its the pain thing thats going against her at the minute. but she's fighting so hard so i'll continue to fight for her. We tried to stomach tube her but she wouldnt sit conscious and there is now way a general anaesthetic is advocated in her present state so still syringing anything she'll take every 2 hours.

She takes them grand she's really hungry and pretty much swallows it whole from syringe although she won't eat it if its left beside her doesn't like getting her face dirty :roll:

She takes them grand she's really hungry and pretty much swallows it whole from syringe although she won't eat it if its left beside her doesn't like getting her face dirty :roll:

Oh that's good. It makes it so much easier if they're willing participants. A bit harder for you at the moment though cos you know her mouth is sore.

Loads of mouth healing vibes for her x

Bless little Ava for fighting!!!!

If she's got it in her then you're doing the right thing. Keep reminding her what she's fighting for with cuddles and love :love:

thank you for your concern means a lot when i can come on here for support and advice.

Ava's Slightly better i've contacted the vet she's changed from metacam to vetergesic as she's so painful in her mouth she cant eat any solids. she has passed some poo's though so thats a positive but its the pain thing thats going against her at the minute. but she's fighting so hard so i'll continue to fight for her. We tried to stomach tube her but she wouldnt sit conscious and there is now way a general anaesthetic is advocated in her present state so still syringing anything she'll take every 2 hours.

Sending Ava lost of vibes.

Do you have any Oxbow Critical Care, it seems to be nicer tasing and mine lap it up rather than having to syringe it.

Back