• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My usual bonding routine may not work this time...

Cookie&Twix

Alpha Buck
I have successfully created 3 bonds and felt pretty confident about bonding our new addition Brie, to our Buck, Biscuit. However, we have a patio, with 3 steps leading up to the grass & shed. Biscuit has never bothered about going down the steps and so has never been on the patio. Brie however is very clever and can easily manage steps and the big jump up/down (if absolutely necessary).

Anytime Biscuit comes out of the shed and he starts chasing, she goes onto the patio and Biscuit can't/won't/doesn't try to follow her. At this rate, bonding will take forever!

They were both shut in the shed last night, in separate sections although they could see and be next to each other if they wanted. I admit that the chasing this morning seems to be more for show and Biscuit soon loses interest and hops back off into the shed.

How should I proceed? Should I get them both in the carrier, or should I shut all 3 of us in the shed? Or maybe bring Biscuit down onto the patio as it isn't really his territory? As I said, I haven't had this particular issue before, lol!

Have you got a puppy pen or similar, indoors, like a crate that you could use as a bonding space where they could stay for a couple of days? I find that works best, the shed will smell of them both now so it's no longer neutral and I think carriers are a bit too small for a long term bonding session. lol.

Back