• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PDSA Wellbeing report for Rabbits (PLEASE READ)

Sadly, it's about as I expected :cry:

I'm glad the stats are out there though, maybe the odd person will read, take note and make a change :)

The below is interesting:

* The average lifetime cost for a rabbit is around £9,000.

I'd love to know how that breaks down, bearing in mind that the 'average' rabbit gets the odd mouldy carrot and cheap museli and doesn't see a vet - there must be a heck of a gulf in the 'them that get' and the 'them that don't get'.:cry::cry::cry:

My bunnies are healthy and get plenty of stimulation - well as much as we humans do indoors :) but I can't for the life of me see what 9 grand goes on. If the average is true then some bunnies are probably wearing Armani and Kalvin Klein and carry Gucchi bags ( sorry if I get this wrong I don't know labels ) :lol:

Oh dear - I fail on this:
Rabbits should eat at least their own body size in hay every day, along with a handful of fresh vegetables every morning and night and a tablespoon of commercial rabbit nuggets (or twice a day if the rabbit weighs over 3.5kg)
I give them pellets in the morning and their veggies at night. Well, they're getting freshly picked grass and dandelion leaves at the moment.

And this:
Exercise is an extremely important part of rabbit health and welfare. Only 21% of owners provide constant access to an exercise area outside of their hutch
They come out twice a day for about 15 minutes to half an hour altogether. However, they do have 40 square feet of space in their kennel. If it's raining they won't come out and often decide they've had enough so go and sit by their bowls with sad faces, looking at me then forlronly into their empty bowls.

:oops: I feel like such a bad mommy. :lol:

And nine grand? Who's bumhole have they plucked that figure out of? I doubt I've spent that over the lifetime of any of my dogs who are magnitudes larger and more expensive to feed!

I can only account for about £3000 over a 10 year lifespan, including a large kennel or shed and run and vaccinations. That's presuming no vet trips though other than for the vaccs. So maybe if every rabbit was a dental bunny that would account for the other £6000?

I agree it's very sad but this is a really badly reported statistic

"Over 1.1 million rabbits crave the company of another rabbit, with 67% of owners reporting that their rabbit lives alone."

I know it's rare but not all of those rabbits will actually want the company of another rabbit, some rabbits simply won't bond no matter how hard we try. It's obviously very important that we try to give buns company of their own when we can because the overwhelming majority of bunnies want another bunny to live with but in an objective report it's risky to claim that they all crave the company.

Sorry, I'm in critical evaluation mode, just had an exam where I had to critically evaluate a statement :lol:

My bunnies are healthy and get plenty of stimulation - well as much as we humans do indoors :) but I can't for the life of me see what 9 grand goes on. If the average is true then some bunnies are probably wearing Armani and Kalvin Klein and carry Gucchi bags ( sorry if I get this wrong I don't know labels ) :lol:

Buckley is a big fan of tailored Italian suits :lol:

Expected but still shocking, I hope this report encourages something to be done about the situation :(

Back