• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Likeliness of flystrike & human contraction? - absolutely terrified

mumble

New Kit
Hi, I have developed OCD and fear illness or contamination. I am very scared about my rabbit possibly getting flystrike as she not had her rear fur trimmed and her bottom has not been cleaned as I am currently too ill to do so - her cage gets cleaned out and fresh bedding but she is not litter trained properly so just poops and wees over most of it, specifically keeping her urine in one corner.

I am extremely concerned as I have heard humans can get flystrike too and have been out of my mind with fear over the possibility of contracting this, especially as I am already greatly ill.

Humans cannot get flystrike. So don't worry.

I don't think you need to trim and clean your bunny bottom if she is healthy. Anyway hope someone with more experience can help with the worry about your bunny.

Please don't worry. You cannot get flystrike.

Mumble, as you know I suffer from terrible OCD too so I understand what you are going through, it is hell!
I have never heard of humans getting flystrike so dont worry about that.
In regards to your bun getting flystrike, is she a healthy weight? Can she reach her bum to clean herself and eat her yummy poops?
If she is healthy, not overweight, cleaned out fully twice a week and her wee and any messy areas cleaned daily then you are doing all you can to keep her safe.
The only other thing you could do would be to use a product such as Rearguard but this can cause problems too, it sent Jimby in to statis.

I wouldn't worry (if you can). My rabbit is 7 and never had fly strike and I've only had to clean his bottom once in all that time (he was most indignant about it too!!!) and he's never been trimmed. They're very good at keeping themselves clean, mine's always grooming himself.

Back