• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possibility of getting myxomatosis for indoor rabbits

scoobylou

Young Bun
Earlier we found that one of our male rabbits lou has swollen genitals so we took him to the vets and because his vaccinations aren't up-to-date they said it could be a sign although he has no fever, no swollen eyes, ears or mouth.
I don't believe it is myxomatosis though because 2 days ago I tried bonding him with another male rabbit and they ended up having a fight & I believe he may have been injured by it since there it looks like there is a black scab on his genitals so I believe it may be infected and swollen, however it has scared us a little especially since we have other rabbits.
How likely is it for rabbits who live inside to get it, we have only had flies in the house so I doubt he has been bitten. Also what are the most common signs of myxomatosis?

It's very possible for rabbits living indoors to get Myxo sadly. It's passed by any biting insect, even tiny ones.

It does sound like it could also be due to bonding but it's certainly something to get checked out I'd suggest.

Do you have any other animals? Cat/dog that could have the odd flea? Fleas can pass it as well as flies and mosquitos.

My boyfriend works in an office where there is a dog. But it doesn't appear to have signs of fleas (itching scratching etc.) and the dog doesnt live near any farm land.

We're taking him back tomorrow hopefully the swelling would of gone done.

It is possible that your bun's bits were bitten and could be either just sore or infected during the bonding if it didn't go too well. It's a top place for rabbits to attack to see off another if they don't like them.

It would be good to feel if it's warm - warmth can indicate infection.

Re Myxo, symptoms include swollen genitals but also swollen tissue around the eyes and redness.

Here's a link to this site's info on Myxo. http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/vaccination.asp

Back