• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help, getting two-tier cage & question about newspaper

mumble

New Kit
Hi there

I have had my rabbit for a year now and I am planning to get her a double tier cage now. I've seen lots of people have them, with the ramp. I just want a bit of advice on the best method of lining these. Would it be best to line the bottom with newspaper, then (I use carefresh) carefresh on top of that, with her litter tray, then up the top of the ramp, I want it as more of a living, cleaner area with her food bowl and water perhaps. Would lino or something similar be good for up there?

For a bit of context - I have severe contamination based OCD, and I have struggled with the relationship with my rabbit over the year since I got ill, and I fear her and her germs, and waste. My fiance has had to look after her mainly, cleaning her out, playing, etc. But I so wish to be able to get comfortable with her again and not scared around her. So I am planning these new steps, to hopefully control her waste to a designated area (bottom) and also give her a better area to explore and live - and thus enabling me to become able to get closer to her again.

Until now I've not used newspaper or anything on the bottom, but I would assume... by logic, that it is perhaps easier to lift out all the litter and waste etc? I have stupidly just put it all in and then spent a long time scraping it all out afterwards, which has obviously increased my troubles, especially in the corners where she urinates. I am hoping newspaper would eliminate some of this, by going right up the edges etc.

Also, I wondered where people actually source their newspaper for lining? I am guessing it needs to be bought in bulk or such, and I'm not a newspaper reader myself so wondered if it's just a matter of buying lots of copies or if you can find somewhere to get many at once.

I wanted some advice also, on how she'll do with the ramp on the new cage - do the rabbits tend to instinctively over time just train and learn to go up and down the ramp okay? I worry she will be scared or confused? She's quite timid but curious and adventurous. Do they take a while to adjust to having a new floor and using an incline?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I just wish for myself and my rabbit to have a happier life again!

Hi there

I have had my rabbit for a year now and I am planning to get her a double tier cage now. I've seen lots of people have them, with the ramp. I just want a bit of advice on the best method of lining these. Would it be best to line the bottom with newspaper, then (I use carefresh) carefresh on top of that, with her litter tray, then up the top of the ramp, I want it as more of a living, cleaner area with her food bowl and water perhaps. Would lino or something similar be good for up there?

For a bit of context - I have severe contamination based OCD, and I have struggled with the relationship with my rabbit over the year since I got ill, and I fear her and her germs, and waste. My fiance has had to look after her mainly, cleaning her out, playing, etc. But I so wish to be able to get comfortable with her again and not scared around her. So I am planning these new steps, to hopefully control her waste to a designated area (bottom) and also give her a better area to explore and live - and thus enabling me to become able to get closer to her again.

Until now I've not used newspaper or anything on the bottom, but I would assume... by logic, that it is perhaps easier to lift out all the litter and waste etc? I have stupidly just put it all in and then spent a long time scraping it all out afterwards, which has obviously increased my troubles, especially in the corners where she urinates. I am hoping newspaper would eliminate some of this, by going right up the edges etc.

Also, I wondered where people actually source their newspaper for lining? I am guessing it needs to be bought in bulk or such, and I'm not a newspaper reader myself so wondered if it's just a matter of buying lots of copies or if you can find somewhere to get many at once.

I wanted some advice also, on how she'll do with the ramp on the new cage - do the rabbits tend to instinctively over time just train and learn to go up and down the ramp okay? I worry she will be scared or confused? She's quite timid but curious and adventurous. Do they take a while to adjust to having a new floor and using an incline?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I just wish for myself and my rabbit to have a happier life again!

Hi :wave:

I have suffered with OCD myself, although it has lessened in recent years.

The first thing I'd suggest is getting rid of the newspaper and carefresh altogether, if possible. It's not necessary to have it at all, many bunnies are kept on lino with a litter tray in the corner for pees and hay, and possibly a soft bed/blanket elsewhere (although many buns will pee on soft bed type things). Many people have a wicker basket turned on it's side full of hay as a bed type area for them, and for food.

Then it's just a case of sweeping any poos/hay out, and then disinfecting the lino. You can also give it a good hose down outside when you can, that helps give it a thorough clean.

I'm not entirely sure of what cage you mean, is it this type of thing? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Massive-Two-T...7d05eb512f0a47a2f461f96fe6b0f3b#ht_1775wt_906 That's actually not big enough and the ramp takes up a lot of unnecessary space. It's also a bit difficult to clean. Have you heard of C+C cages for rabbits? You can make them to the perfect size. Also, a playpen (or a hutch/cage/dog crate with an attached play pen) makes a great size enclosure which is easy to clean. I mention that because I know in a lot of cages, any moisture from pees/water bottle can get under and mean you have to take it out and let it air dry to ensure it doesn't ruin the lino. With some cages you can use bath sealant to seal around, it's great to have the cage allow you to seal it to make your lino last longer.

I would definitely recommend getting rid of the carefresh. It's much easier to sweep a cage and disinfect it than it is to get all the piddly bits out :)

The other thing is I know now that their mess is contained to one corner and I'm much happier to be around mine. I can see your fear and dislike of cuddling up to something that's been rummaging around in its own wee covered bedding :)

Back