• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing my bond with Dizzi & Rascal, don't know what to do!?!?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hiya

Since Dizzi and Rascal went back outside at the beginning of May they want absolutely nothing to do with me. Not interested in the slightest whereas when they were indoors over the winter, they'd sit for hours having nosey rubs, massages etc whilst happily tooth purring.

Now whenever I try to give them a nosey rub or even just touch them they just hop off!! And after reading this site : http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ it would appear that 80% of the time they are mightily hacked off with me. :?

They get ever so giddy when I go in the aviary (obviously expecting a treat or some dinner etc) but even after they've eaten and are snoozy they still won't let me touch them!! :shock:

As well as spending time cleaning out, feeding and 'doing' each day, I also spend about an hour per evening just sitting with them in the aviary. During this time they'll come over and 'explore' me (and they're clearly not scared of me) but just hate to be touched ..........And yet they used to love it sooo much!! :(

Do I keep trying and risk upsetting them even more or just stop trying??

Could this just be the initial giddiness of being back outdoors and it'll settle in time or am I destined to have bunnies who now only see me as 'the bringer of food?'?

Any advice/insight would be great, thanks. xx

Thumper was similar with me except he's always been an outdoor bunny in my care. As soon as we got Blossom (who btw hated human contact) he decided he didn't want strokes. They both let me stroke them now after much patient time and Thumper loves a body fuss but they sometimes prefer their bunny time. I've just excepted it and view it as "they are wild at heart and it's a privaledge if I get attention from them" lol

Thumper was similar with me except he's always been an outdoor bunny in my care. As soon as we got Blossom (who btw hated human contact) he decided he didn't want strokes. They both let me stroke them now after much patient time and Thumper loves a body fuss but they sometimes prefer their bunny time. I've just excepted it and view it as "they are wild at heart and it's a privaledge if I get attention from them" lol

Yeah maybe its something I have to accept because its just how bunnies are naturally ........but its hard when you've had it and then lose it!

I felt like I had lost 'the bond' with my pair when they were put outside but have slowly come to realise its just a 'different' sort of bond.

I think being outside makes them far more hyper resulting in them no longer being patient enough for cuddles...theyd rather be off sniffing the air, digging in the mud & watching the world go by. :) I know they love me still & I love sitting watching them. :love:

I felt like I had lost 'the bond' with my pair when they were put outside but have slowly come to realise its just a 'different' sort of bond.

I think being outside makes them far more hyper resulting in them no longer being patient enough for cuddles...theyd rather be off sniffing the air, digging in the mud & watching the world go by. :) I know they love me still & I love sitting watching them. :love:

Yep definitely ..... they were a lot more 'laid back' when they were indoors, now they don't sit still for more than 2 mins (well they do, just not when I'm in there with them)!

If I try and sneak in when they're snoozing to give them a little fuss, they're up and bouncing round me full of beans in a split second!

Yep definitely ..... they were a lot more 'laid back' when they were indoors, now they don't sit still for more than 2 mins (well they do, just not when I'm in there with them)!

If I try and sneak in when they're snoozing to give them a little fuss, they're up and bouncing round me full of beans in a split second!

Enjoy it, just keep thinking to yourself 'they are healthy, they are happy & they are HUNGRY!' :lol:

I think being outdoors does make it harder to have the same type of bond. When Poppy is in the house, she is so soft and dopey and will let me make a fuss of her. When she is in her walk in run, she is all over me till she realises I haven't got pellets, then runs off! When in the garden free ranging, it's like I'm not even there and she won't come to me! Chloe is even worse - she is almost completely wild altogether now, and I'm working on her by stroking her every time she is fed pellets or treats.

Whereas Pebbles is completely different - he will follow me around wherever I am - and will jump for treats!!

I think being outdoors does make it harder to have the same type of bond. When Poppy is in the house, she is so soft and dopey and will let me make a fuss of her. When she is in her walk in run, she is all over me till she realises I haven't got pellets, then runs off! When in the garden free ranging, it's like I'm not even there and she won't come to me! Chloe is even worse - she is almost completely wild altogether now, and I'm working on her by stroking her every time she is fed pellets or treats.

Whereas Pebbles is completely different - he will follow me around wherever I am - and will jump for treats!!

This is exactly what Dizzi and Rascal are like!

Managed to give Rascal about a 10 second nosey rub this evening, but as soon as I adjusted myself to stop getting a dead-leg, he was off!! :?

Back