• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your rabbits have acceptable accommodation?

Do you keep your rabbits in suitable accommodation?

• Total space available for only part of day (eg run unattached, time-limited free range): less 44sqft

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Total space available 24/7 (eg run attached, free range): less than 44 sqft

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Total space available for only part of day (eg run unattached, time-limited free range): 44sqft

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Total space available 24/7 (eg run attached, free range): 44sqft

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Total space available for only part of day (eg run unattached, time-limited free range): more 44sqft

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Total space available 24/7 (eg run attached, free range): more than 44sqft

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I was wondering how many rabbit owners actually keep their rabbits in acceptable accommodation, according to RWA recommendations (6ft x 2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of at least 8ft x 4ft) totalling 44sqft of space available 24/7 (indoor or outdoor). Please comment and take part in the poll, which is confidential, whether you keep your rabbits in unsuitable, suitable accommodation or massive accommodation (more than 50-60sqft).

The whole downstairs is available to them all the time, plus the stairs and landing during the day...

So... massive! :lol:

Last edited:
Mine have their own bedroom, think it is about 12ft x 9ft, i think, canny mind from last measurement, but it is a big room. So they have about 108sqft. Then they also come in the living rooms from time to time for a run about.

Mine have an 8 x 6ft shed with multiple shelves all at varying heights and a garden that is 33 x 32ft. I think they have ample space!

Mine have free range in the garden from 9-7 so plenty space! If they are having a day on grass in the run their total is 41 but this is only to give the back garden grass time to grow. Normally only fosters in the runs.

Mine have free run of their own room 24/7, which is about 70 sq feet. When we are home they also have the landing, the bathroom and another bedroom :wave:

My lops do, I think they have 11 by 9. I think my lionheads room is more 8 by 8 but with a small corner out of it, they get time on the landing. I did measure it once and put the details on here but I can't find it and can't be bothered to remeasure!

well my trio have 8ft+ x 3ft plus free range time ..

& the 8 have my whole room with a 12-14ft x 3 ft base ?

& biscuit has the kitchen and gets the living room aswell when the dogs arent in there :)

don't know if thats acceptable ?

ETA: I don't particularly LIKE my set up just now as I don't feel it is big enough .. but I am improving it all teh time :)

Last edited:
All bar a pair have over 44sq ft 24/7. The pair have 36 square foot (hutch over attached run) 24/7 and then an 9x6 run about 8 hours a day depending on the time of year and weather on grass. I thought for a pair though that the guidelines were 36 sqft minimum? 6x2 hutch over 6x4 run?

Acceptable in my eyes but not in some (including some Rescues). 6 x 2 x 2 hutch with no attached run. Access to way more than 44 square feet of garden when I can supervise them (like now - the joy of laptops :lol:).

My buns are happy and this works for us (probably because I can find an awful lot of pottering to do in the garden so I can be out there with them :lol:).

Mine have their 8x6' shed with 8'x5' attached run but also get 4 or more hours of free range time a day. I'd be inclined to think that smaller accomodation with free range time is better than slightly bigger accomodation which they are confined to all the time.

Back