• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

SICK RABBIT, please help me. DIARRHEA, HARDLY EATING

kanin_

Young Bun
My 9month old boy Bucky has had loose stools for the past few days on and off. He hasn't eaten hardly any pellets during this time but he has eaten hay/ straw/ carrot/ broccoli and I gave him 2 mls of fibreplex this morning. I'm so worried because I had a baby bun die last weekend and the vet thinks - but is not certain - that it was VHD. The bunny we lost (Daisy) was absolutely fine, eating and running about one night. The next morning we find her with red eyes, a wet nose and she was gasping for breath so we had to have her put to sleep. Bucky is up to date with both vaccinations so that gives me some comfort, so does the fact that he's still eating. He is living in the same hutch that Daisy lived in as he lived with her for the 2 weeks we had her - could this be a factor? Also we have a new bunny as of this Monday, Lily. I really hope she's not at risk. She has come into contact with Bucky but we separated them when we realised Bucky wasn't quite right.

Sorry for this big rant but little Daisy's passing really gutted me and I'm so desperate to prevent it happening again.

I called the vet this morning, I can't take him in because of work but the vet said we're doing absolutely everything right (regarding fibreplex etc) and also reccomended that we feed Bucky a purified apple baby food to encourage eating. She said that if he shows any signs of deterioration we should bring him in, which I am 100% going to do.

Please could you share advice if you think it could help. I'm at work now - my Dad is at home watching the bunnies. I want to know absolutely everything I can to make my babies safe.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Rabbits can deteriorate very quickly so I would pop him to the vet as soon as you can.
Let us know how he is.. hope hes ok

I really can't right now :( I have to wait until I get off at 7... :(:(:( I was looking for similar sounding stories/ tips just to give me a better chance of helping him.

I've noticed that a lot of people have viewed this post but only one person has replied (thank you). I need some more help...

Will be blunt and please take it as caring for the welfare of your bun.

Your rabbit may not be alive by the time you get home. She needs to see a vet as an emergency if its true diarrhea.

you need to get him to the vet now.

buns go down hill very very quickly.
can someone else take him for you??

Your rabbit needs to see a vet - as soon as possible, tonight will probably be too late tbh, if he's got the runs he could be dehydrated by now and need fluids, and if you are at work who is looking after him until 7pm? He will be needing constant care at the moment.

If you cannot leave work early then is there someone else who can come and get a key off you and take him to the vet for you?

I know it feels awkward saying to work you have to have time off to take a sick rabbit to the vet, considering most peoples opinions of rabbits, but I have had to do it a few times, and I know I wasn't popular but I also know it saved Joes life on at least two of those occasions so I don't care, I couldn't have lived with myself otherwise.

Sorry I haven't been clear. My Dad is with Bucky now, he will be until 5, then my mum will arrive so he wont be left unattended. Also I've been told that his poos are improving, getting a bit harder and stuff (sorry if this is too graphic). I will ask for tomorrow off, I work for a news company and I am the only person around who can do what I do today so it's looking impossible. Tomorrow it will be 100 times easier for me to do my work from home :( My Dad would have rang me if things were bad/ getting a bit worse...

He's obviously got some sort of digestive problem. I think you'll need to get the vet to diagnose exactly what the problem is. Make sure your vet checks his teeth (front and back teeth).

Your baby bun might have brought a disease like coccidiosis into your household...n.b. this is just a thought, I'm not saying it actually is this!

Sorry I haven't been clear. My Dad is with Bucky now, he will be until 5, then my mum will arrive so he wont be left unattended. Also I've been told that his poos are improving, getting a bit harder and stuff (sorry if this is too graphic). I will ask for tomorrow off, I work for a news company and I am the only person around who can do what I do today so it's looking impossible. Tomorrow it will be 100 times easier for me to do my work from home :( My Dad would have rang me if things were bad/ getting a bit worse...

sorry to be blunt, but what is stopping your dad taking him??
i really think sooner rather than later is what is needed here, considering you have already lost one bun why risk losing another :?

I was thinking a digestive problem too, that's why I gave him fiberplex. He fought me every step of the way (he really hates it) but I got there in the end.

I've not heard of that disease before. Oh I wish they had a bunny NHS somewhere, man....

is bun fine in themself? Eating/drinking/pooping
Is the poops more little squishy very small poops stuck all together in ball rather than liquid diapoo? If so these are called cecotrophes which norm bun would eat but they may be producing too much which isnt a worry in themself but it suggests either too much fibre or not enough fibre. As you are feeding fibreplex and as far as I understand bun is eating lots of hay it could be too much fibre.
If your vet seems happy with what your doing and bun isnt lethargic etc then perhaps as long as they are eating reduce the fibreplex (only if vet hasnt insisted on them having it though) and encourage hay/water and dont feed much green food as cabbage etc can lead to mushy poops if buns a little off colour.
Angel used to get very dirty bum all the time and squished poops all over the place we found reducing her pellet food helped us. Obv yours isnt eating that at mo though so perhaps too many veggies.
Is bun out in garden eating grass aswell? as this time of yearthe grass is very good and can be a little sensitive on tummys.
As for vhd cant help that way if vets have checked and arent worried then afraid just a case of sitting and waiting. But def keep other bun in quarintine until you know whats going on with this little bunster.
If you are worried more than usual and bun isnt improving in any way then you really do have to get to the vet. If bun stops eating then you have literally an hour or so before the body shuts down and bun dies! So thats why anything unusual means a trip to vets now rather than later.

Carrot and broccoli can cause runny poo, too, so I would not feed any of this for a while and give mostly hay and water, and maybe a few pellets, if they are high in fibre. His teeth should be looked at, as he may have some painful spurs digging into his tongue and that would stop him from eating pellets. If he is moulting a lot, a furball might block his digestive tract.

Would your dad be able to take him to the vet today? Sometimes it helps to ask for a painkiller, so that the bunny isn't suffering at least. Good luck, hope your boy gets better soon.

I was thinking a digestive problem too, that's why I gave him fiberplex. He fought me every step of the way (he really hates it) but I got there in the end.

I've not heard of that disease before. Oh I wish they had a bunny NHS somewhere, man....

They do, it's the vets, you do have to pay though...is that another reason for leaving it until tomorrow - payday or something? If so have a word with the vets because I'm sure they'd wait until tomorrow for payment.

Why can't your dad take him for you?

My Dad has gout in both feet so driving is a no no, he's a bit...I don't know how to put it. Like he can't walk far without a lot of pain, his boss sends a cab to get him into work. (Should mention at this point that this pain is due to a recent operation - he's not always like this, thankfully).

I know I probably seem heartless but I'm not. There are circumstances at work and at home that have really backed me into a corner. I have to (HAVE TO :( ) work today or I am totally screwed, this is a trial and if i don't get this job I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm really risking it by taking him to the vets tomorrow... I love him so much.

do you have any friends who can take him??

i appriciate you are in a tough position and wish i could offer more advice but the bottom line is that bun needs to see a vet.

I can't think of anyone in that area, apart from Greenwich Rabbits, but I don't think they'd be able to help.

Did your baby bunny and the new one come from the same place?

Back