• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Orange urine, I am a very stressed HELP

Tooti

New Kit
I am a proud mommy of a little Boy Otter Rex, we have only had him for 4 days now. His urine has gone from light yellow and stinky to orange and stinky. Bunny parents please put my mind at ease and tell me I have done nothing wrong to harm our little boy.

He has play time twice a day in our "Fairy Herb Garden" and gets to nibble plants out there otherwise he is an indoor bunny. I have checked to see if we have anything dangerous in our garden before he was let out. He has had quite alot of basil to eat, could this have anything to do with it.
He is full of energy, pooping eating, drinking etc, just has really orange urine and I dont want to make a mistake with him.
Please let me know if I need to stress.
I am going to only give him pellets and hay for tonight and tomorrow and see if things change.
I would really appreciate some bunny knowledge if anyone has any info for me
Kind regards

If he is acting like himself and there is no traces of blood in the pee,it is most likely something he has eaten.
My bun get orange wee from various veg,leafs and stuff,and it freaked the heck out of me the first time i saw it!
I'm not sure how much herbs stains the urine though,does he get anything else like carrots?dandelion?

thanks so much for getting back to me, I have just read that parsley can do it, and yip our boy has had parsley. I honestly hope it is just that,
My mind is a little more relaxed now as I read on some posts how to detect blood in the urine and it is deffinately not that so I feel much better.
Will lay off the herbs today and tomorrow and see what happens.
oh yes no carrots, my boy doesnt seem like a fan of them for now.:wave:

If it is the herbs that are doing this it will go away in a few days after you stop giving it.
Hope everything will be ok!:D

not sure about the stinky part but i know carrots can make urine more orange!

mayeb try and increase his water intake? a bowl perhaps?

My bun absolutely loves carrots and has half a carrot a day - however if I give her too much her wee does go orange (and smelly) from time to time. Other buns i've had before have had orange wee and they were fine! Just watch for any other changes in behaviour!

Thanks to all the very friendly bunny parents for getting back to me, as I have said I am a BRAND NEW Bunny mommy, so have heaps to learn. lol.
Urine was deffinately affected by herbs, but that seems like all that is effected, our Bunny Boy is crazy and energetic as ever and is a little loopy.
Does Bunnies urine stink? Ours smells awful as it wee,s then it subsides a little, I thought maybe that is normal?
Also potty training, my bunny seems to not have found a corner as such, but rather seems to do it all over the cage, if anyone has tips on how to teach my bunny to use the potty.

Thanks once again to you all, so lovely to meet animal lovers like myself.:love:

:wave: Hi there!

What are you using as bedding? Sawdust doesnt mask the smell of wee very well, try megazorb, works well with my 2!

Usually after a bun is neutered, they will start to go to the toilet in one particular place. :)

:wave: Hi there - your name jumped out at me as it's so similar to the bun that started this crazy obsession for me - Totti :lol:

Anyway, back to the question. You've had your boy 4 days but how old is he and is he neutered? Un-neutered bucks wee is quite possibly the most foul smelling liquid on the planet and the smell subsides when the bun is neutered.

:wave: Hi & welcome.
Just to reassure you further this is wee from my bun who has to eat a huge amount of dandelions with the leaf rib removed -(NOT recommended -he's got a rare tummy problem) He had all his bloods & urine checked a few days before this was taken. - absolutely normal kidneys & liver etc. It's just plant dye in the wee.
DSCF5084.jpg

You guys are all so amazingly helpful, and I am so gratefull.
Urine looks exactly like that picture you posted ''Thumps", I am so much more relaxed now as I see it change back to normal if he hasn't eaten much greens.
So I am a happy mommy.

Honestly cannot remember how old bunny was when we got him, we were all so excited and I was buying everything under the sun that I thought would make him happy that I completely missed out on his age. He is little though, I will go back and find out his rough age.
At what age can males be neutered?
Is the opperation as simple as is for a dog?
Is there a drastic change in the smell of the urine?

His pee is honestly the worst thing I have smelt in ages, lol, expected it to be smelly but this is making his days indoors numbered, lol only joking, instead I went out and bought room refreshners.
But if he pees anywhere in the house or on us then you can smell it for miles.

You guys are all so amazingly helpful, and I am so gratefull.
Urine looks exactly like that picture you posted ''Thumps", I am so much more relaxed now as I see it change back to normal if he hasn't eaten much greens.
So I am a happy mommy.

Honestly cannot remember how old bunny was when we got him, we were all so excited and I was buying everything under the sun that I thought would make him happy that I completely missed out on his age. He is little though, I will go back and find out his rough age.
At what age can males be neutered?
Is the opperation as simple as is for a dog?
Is there a drastic change in the smell of the urine?

His pee is honestly the worst thing I have smelt in ages, lol, expected it to be smelly but this is making his days indoors numbered, lol only joking, instead I went out and bought room refreshners.
But if he pees anywhere in the house or on us then you can smell it for miles.

Uncastrated male urine does tend to be a little stronger in the smell department yes. Castration for a male rabbit is a very quick simple surgical procedure and most buns are back to their old self the same day or next provided it is carried out by a rabbit savy veterinarian with good pre and post op procedures, adequate pain relief and after care :D

I would avoid room freshners - they are simply volatile hydrocarbons that are no good for you to be breathing in any more than they are for him - just open the windows (provided he can not jump out of them!). Is he litter trained? It's very easy to do but really only reliable in most cases in a neutered rabbit. :wave:

Back