• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removing access to 'base' (bare with me on this...)

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Currently trying to work on a plan to allow B&G some night-time free-range.

Currently, they are locked in their 48" dog crate w/ 2 levels from midnight til 6:30am every day.

OH came up with an idea earlier...

If i bought a 2nd dog crate, but smaller (perhaps a 36"? which is 3ft) and had it in my office we could give them upstairs hallway, + downstairs hallway + part of the office for overnight.

The only issue is, we'd have to shut the living room door. That in itself, is not the problem. However, their 48" crate, which is their base, containing water bowl, litter trays etc is in there.

How would a rabbit behave in having that taken away, but another 'base' being located upstairs? Is it cruel to take that away at night? Would they get very confused?

Just thoughts at this moment in time....

Answers on a digital postcard please.. :)

Hmmm, i don't know. I imagine it could get quite confusing and upsetting for them, especially at first when they want to get back to their base and can't. Would they have access to the smaller base all the time?

Hmmm, i don't know. I imagine it could get quite confusing and upsetting for them, especially at first when they want to get back to their base and can't. Would they have access to the smaller base all the time?

Yes, the other base would be available to them 24/7.

Basically, both bases between 6:30am - midnight would be available.

But at night, between midnight and 6:30am, only the upstairs base would be available.

If they got used to the smaller base and started using it through the day, then i would think then that would be ok, as they would know that they could use the litter tray & drink etc from there. But i wouldnt try it until they had used the upstairs base first.

I would set it up and allow then access to it during the day for a couple of weeks and then close off downstairs at night. So it's slow and they adapt to the new area. :)

Agree with above posts, if you start feeding them upstairs occasionally then maybe they will learn that this is another 'bolt hole'?:)

If they got used to the smaller base and started using it through the day, then i would think then that would be ok, as they would know that they could use the litter tray & drink etc from there. But i wouldnt try it until they had used the upstairs base first.

Okay, thats cool, this was how i thought of it.

They already have a litter tray + water up here so it wouldnt be 'too' confusing, but i wanted them to have somewhere 'sheltered' as Biscuit is quite a nervous bunny and likes somewhere like that to hide.

i think it would be ok if you do it gradually so they are used to it, i think you main issue is making sure they are comfortable enough to use the litter tray upstairs, sounds like they are but they can develop various problems from 'crossing their legs' so to speak and i think (might be wrong) but with your ginger's issues she might be more at risk of something like this.

How about just moving the base upstairs? That way they have access to it 24/7 but also have access to the extra rooms during the day :) You could put a box or similar in the existing crate's space for day time naps :)

How about just moving the base upstairs? That way they have access to it 24/7 but also have access to the extra rooms during the day :) You could put a box or similar in the existing crate's space for day time naps :)

Unfortunately, a 48" crate is much too big for the space i have up here, thats why i was thinking of something a little smaller for up here. I've looked at NIC cubes, but for the same/less cost i could get a 36" crate to use as a base.

Didnt want to confuse matters by taking the crate away, completely if yuo get me?

Can you just bunny proof your living room completely so they can just free range the living room? I know you've blocked of your tv using panels, can you do this with other furniture? xxx

If they are going to free-range 24/7 they dont NEED a base as such, just a room. Can you move their litter trays, food etc upstairs to your office? As in relocate them completely.

Or if you want the crate to keep it more contained then move them completely into the new crate, the other (original) crate as an extra bolt hole/litter tray.

Back