• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H Insurance vs Petplan - Dentals

nessar

Warren Veteran
Has anyone had any experience with either company regarding claiming for a dental? Or any experience claiming from P@H for ANYTHING? I want to know if they pay up too... I know theres been a lot of threads on P@H insurance but cant find the info I need...

This is my issue:

Petplan dont cover 'burring or rasping of rabbits teeth' but then will they cover the anesthetic, painkillers, xrays, gut stimulants etc if the dental was due to a gut slowdown or something?

P@H cover dentals needed 'from illness or injury' but then would that cover routine dental treatment or treatment due to a misaligned teeth, as these arent 'illnesses' as such. I spoke to them on the phone and the man reckoned it would be covered but couldnt say for certain as hes not a 'claim technician' and as I had to explain about misaligned teeth I'm not sure he knew that much....

I just dont know which one to choose, I'm well aware that I cant change over after an illness, as it wont be covered on the new one. Barney is on Petplan and I know they are generally considered the best to claim from but the dental cover would be great for my other bun, Annabel, just in case. I know a good teeth report does not mean no dentals in the future, Barney's teeth are well-aligned but he had to have a dental/gut slowdown treatment in April costing £120 which I havent claimed for as I dont THINK petplan will cover it :?

ETA- Anabel has no preexisting conditions, my enquiry is for her, Barney will have to stay on Petplan.

Ahhhh decisions, help someone!

Last edited:
Petplan do not cover routine dentals as standard, they have never paid out for one for me. They seem a little inconsistant though, as a couple of members on here have had success with them paying out over a routine dental where most others have had their claim forms rejected.

P@H is so new I guess only time will tell how good they are. Would be interested to know the answer to your question though. :D

Ok this is what th P@H policy document says...

COVERED
Dental treatment to relieve suffering due to illness or injury provided your rabbit has received an annual dental examination, or a dental examination at the time of the first vaccinations if your rabbit is under 1 year of age. All recommended treatment has to be carried out and at your expense.

NOT COVERED
The cost of dental treatment unless the treatment relates to an injury or illness and your rabbit has had an annual dental examination by a vet and all treatment recommended at the time of examination has been carried out and at your expense. Where there is no history of regular minimum annual routine checkups:

All routine dental maintenance or preventative care including (but not limited to) teeth trimming, de burring and rasping or any resulting treatment from the malocclusion and or overgrowth of your rabbit’s teeth.

Any pre-existing dental conditions, those having the same clinical signs or diagnosis as a dental problem previously treated or noted by your vet.

So from this Im assuming your average dental is NOT covered!

Ok this is what th P@H policy document says...

COVERED
Dental treatment to relieve suffering due to illness or injury provided your rabbit has received an annual dental examination, or a dental examination at the time of the first vaccinations if your rabbit is under 1 year of age. All recommended treatment has to be carried out and at your expense.

NOT COVERED
The cost of dental treatment unless the treatment relates to an injury or illness and your rabbit has had an annual dental examination by a vet and all treatment recommended at the time of examination has been carried out and at your expense. Where there is no history of regular minimum annual routine checkups:

All routine dental maintenance or preventative care including (but not limited to) teeth trimming, de burring and rasping or any resulting treatment from the malocclusion and or overgrowth of your rabbit’s teeth.

Any pre-existing dental conditions, those having the same clinical signs or diagnosis as a dental problem previously treated or noted by your vet.

So from this Im assuming your average dental is NOT covered!

thank you that is so helpful! okay that is what I thought, stupid man on the phone made me think all dentals would be covered. But from that it looks like your routine dentals are not covered but the odd one due to gut slowdown (like my barney had) may be as its not just a dental for teeths sake its an 'illness' as such :? confusing huh! Although thats a little beside the point as I cant move him anyway....
eta- is that how you see it, or am I getting it wrong :?

Are you with P@H? Can I ask why you chose them over petplan? Was it the smaller premiums?

Last edited:
I would search the topic as it has been covered quite a few times in the past few weeks :wave::wave::wave:

thank you that is so helpful! okay that is what I thought, stupid man on the phone made me think all dentals would be covered. But from that it looks like your routine dentals are not covered but the odd one due to gut slowdown (like my barney had) may be as its not just a dental for teeths sake its an 'illness' as such :? confusing huh! Although thats a little beside the point as I cant move him anyway....
eta- is that how you see it, or am I getting it wrong :?

Are you with P@H? Can I ask why you chose them over petplan? Was it the smaller premiums?

Yes that's pretty much how I understand it! This is copied from a post I recently made on another insurance thread... I didn't have insurance before! I had just put aside money into a bunny fund every month and so far it's paid for all emergencies and is still looking very healthy! I felt PP was rather expensive so when the cheaper P@H option became available I took it up. Primarily so that I have complete peace of mind that should D or D develop a more serious long term problem or something that requires very expensive treament they will be covered. I can afford to pay for dentals myself which I think is the main bone of contention with bunny insurance, this is really in case much more expensive health problems crop up. I've taken out life cover and it was less than £14 for both of them plus they have sent me £20 P@H vouchers! I will also continue to put a minimum of £25 in their bunny fund each month as a back up!

I did search for P@H insurance threads put couldnt find anything useful....

I have rung up Petplan and insured her with them for now, I might change to P@H if someone has a regular dental claim with them and it goes well. Petplan said I'm not in a contract so can cancel whenever I like. But for now I just want her covered, the rescue said her teeth are fine anyway, although shes only 6 months old I think.

Good news though, the lady said to make a claim for the dental as even if they dont cover the rasping of the teeth (only £6 anyway) they MAY cover the anesthetic, xray, painkillers and all the gut stimulants/fibre liquid foods I had to give him after, because his dental and the treatment after was primarily for a gut slowdown, not routine. She said she couldnt say whether it would go through, but that I might as well try as the bill was nearly £120 so minus excess and rasping could get £64.

Theres just something I dont quite trust about the P@H insurance. I'm sure its done by an external company, as the actual P@H staff are forbidden from selling it or giving you any proper info on it - ridiculous. I'm most worried about the company deciding not to do it anymore after a while, as then I'm stuck with a bun with perhaps pre-existing conditions and no insurance. Plus my Petplan is just under £15 a month for 2, so I guess not that more expensive. It was the dental cover I was attracted to P@H for.... I guess its just wait and see till someone claims!

Please do post on here if someone does get a claim through, or not through, with them :wave:
(sorry everyone for the huge ramble, thank you for replying!)

Back