• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Three poorly buns

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
:(

I have taken Furby, Faye and Dylan to the vet this morning.

They have all lost their interest in food and their poos have become smaller. I gave them the parsley test yesterday and only Faye nommed it down.

I couldn't park outside my vets so really struggled with the carriers. They had given me an appointment before surgery opened so I went straight in, which was good.

Dylan's teeth and temperature were fine. He produced a poo while he was there which the vet said wasn't too bad and he must be eating something. He agreed with me that Dylan's arthritis may be playing him up and suggested I increase his daily metacam and syringe feed him for a couple of days to kick start his appetite again.

Furby's temperature is up and his teeth probably need doing so I have left him there so he can examine him under GA. Faye's temperature was fine but I wanted to leave her with her husbun so the vet said he would check her back teeth while she was there too just to make sure they are OK.

I dread to think what the cost will be. My vet always tells me how expensive previously neglected buns can be - but I stopped him this time and said I had already heard it from my bank manager!! He is going to let me have every fourth bottle of metacam free as Dylan is on it for life.

Vibes for my furballs would be appreciated. It's Furby (Lymington bun) I am most worried about as the vet thinks he has an infection somewhere. His teeth have grown all over the place so it could be his roots.

Mega mega vibes for your furballs. What a very stressful time for you. I can't even cope with one sick animal.

Really hope Furby doesn't have an infection.

I can't 'phone until 1.00 pm at the earliest to see how they are. Have come home from work to check on the rest of my fur family.

I just hope Furby will be OK - I didn't realise he had a temperature as his ears weren't hot. He was still a nightmare to catch this morning too:)

Couldn't wait until 1.00 pm to 'phone!

Furby didn't need a dental and is coming home with antibiotics for his infection. Faye did need a dental (despite being the one who was eating much better).

I will find out more when I pick them up as the receptionist didn't know a great deal.

I want to pick them up now but I have to wait an hour and I will then be back at work. Will try and leave early though so I should be able to pick them up between three and four:)

Thank you all for your vibes. I just hope the antibiotics help Furby get his appetite back. Maybe I should ask for some metaclop too?

Left work VERY early as I was impatient to pick up my fur babies. Spoke to the nurse. Faye was fine and nothing was done. Furby did need a dental and he has been given antibiotics and a gut stimulant. The bill was £180 - but £60 of that was for the metacam for Dylan. It showed £60 carried over from Molly which I have queried and am waiting for a call back.

I just hope Furby picks up now and that the antibiotics clear up the infection. Not sure how buns can catch infections? I have had a bad cold which has triggered my asthma but I don't think buns can catch human colds - can they?

The nurse said what a lovely couple they are:love:

Hope they all improve, especially Furby after the dental.

I heard bunnies can't be affect by human colds, but I know chinchillas can. The OH and I had this very conversation yesterday. We had asked the emergency vet the night before on how one chinnie can catch something when they never leave the house.

He was explaining that humans can get colds and the flu by nevering leaving their home. It is what is brought in by other people, on clothing and what they bring into the house. I assume we will never really know.

Vibes the infection clears up quickly.

Hope everybun gets better soon Rhianna :wave:

Loads of toothy feeling better vibes for Furby and hope they all get nomming soon!

Furby still isn't 'right'. Went out to tempt him with some herbs and he wasn't interested. I was debating syringe feeding him and then noticed he had hopped over to his SS pellets and was nomming them so I am going to leave it for now. I think the stress of syringe feeding his sore mouth won't be worth it and he has had quite a few pellets.

Faye seems fine and is playing in the run part - picking up an old flowerpot and throwing it:) I wonder if she was eating less because she had intuited that Furby was poorly. They are very close - the vet nurse commented:love:

I hope they are all ok and Furby keeps munching once he started. What a stressful day! I only had one at the vets and am exhausted.

oh karen..im sorry....you should have txt me.....i have some zantac syrup..metaclopramide....and some avipro plus powder.

you can txt me if yiu need any:wave:

i know...poor berties on metacam for life too.....as well as the phenobarb pills.

i agree syringe feeding is uberstressful anyway...but especially for sore mouthed dental buns.

nope..bunnies cannot get ill from us...BUT rodents.....eg rats..mice...hamsters..gerbils..degus...chinchillas....guinea pigs....they can get colds...esp strep throat....:(

are you sure its not pasturella karen?

berties bloodwork comes up with slight anaemia every time...the vets said its a sign of infection somewhere. We are guessing its the pasturella.

merlins come up the same..but we think its the necrotic fatty tissue.

an infection can be an obvious one....or a hidden one...
i hope that it all works out....nosey rubs and vibes xx

Back