• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO people who use more than one vet

I was wondering about this?? i took my does to another vet as my usuall/local vet dosen't spay females. i thought about taking them back as there jabs are cheaper but stayed with local one. :roll:

You're not really meant to...I have done it once cos I wasn't 100% confident of what the first practise were doing so I just secretly took her to another one for a second opinion. I don't know what you mean about reregistering? She's registered at both now, I always use the first one, but would again secretly go to the second if I was worried enough to want an alternative opinion.

As far as I know as long as your honest you can use as many vets as you wish:D I use both the PDSA and Vets4Pets. I also have a vet about 5 minutes away from me who are expensive but I would use them in an emergency:D

You're not really meant to...I have done it once cos I wasn't 100% confident of what the first practise were doing so I just secretly took her to another one for a second opinion. I don't know what you mean about reregistering? She's registered at both now, I always use the first one, but would again secretly go to the second if I was worried enough to want an alternative opinion.

The time I wanted to go for a second opinion at a different vets they had to transfer all the records and now Buckley is only registered at the new vets...

I'm also pretty sure the old vets hate me anyway because I asked the vet which antibiotic he was gonna give Buckley and said "oh, are you a medical professional" in a really condescending way, like I didn't have a right to ask what chemical he wanted me to syringe into my (at the time) 9 week old bunny's body every day for a week...

I just didn't think you could have one animal registered at 2 vets. It'd be useful if it were possible because if we're at my home home we're 2 hours away from our usual vet.
x

No reregistering. All my vets know I use different. I have two back near my parents house (I use one for neutering and one for everything else). Then at Uni I have Ashleigh..who adore Lola and are amazing with her.

They understand my situation, no probs.

I just register at both, but I have never had to transfer the records as it was all routine things, jabs , a neuter and claw clipping :wave:

My vets would not knowingly treat an animal if it was registered at another vet, unless it was an emergency , they would then call the other vet to check it was ok, or inform them the next day if it was our of ours. It isn't ethical for a vet to have clients also registered at another vet and they should have records transferred if you move elsewhere.

My buck is registered with 2 vets. One as our actual vet, the other for jabs only. We have never had to go to our registered vet as of yet and can't remember if she was aware that he is registered elsewhere.

The time I wanted to go for a second opinion at a different vets they had to transfer all the records and now Buckley is only registered at the new vets...

I'm also pretty sure the old vets hate me anyway because I asked the vet which antibiotic he was gonna give Buckley and said "oh, are you a medical professional" in a really condescending way, like I didn't have a right to ask what chemical he wanted me to syringe into my (at the time) 9 week old bunny's body every day for a week...

I just didn't think you could have one animal registered at 2 vets. It'd be useful if it were possible because if we're at my home home we're 2 hours away from our usual vet.
x

Hmm, I guess different practices have different rules then.

Your old vet doesn't sound too good tbh, you're prob better off just using the new one! I always ask my vets for details of everything they do, not to criticise, just cos I like to feel informed, and they don't mind at all.

I agree with what halfpenny said above - it's bad to be registered at two vets, there are issues with treating an animal when you don't have its full history, the 2nd vet could end up giving meds that conflict with the ones the 1st vet used, etc.

I just popped into the new vet and explained the situation ie that I was concerned re: one particular thing, and would like their opinion on it...but that I probably couldn't use them permanently as I have transport issues and they're too far away.

Not something I would make a habit of though.

My usual vets use another practice for out of hours emergencies, and I wasn't happy with the service from the emergency vets. So last time I had an out of hours problem I went to an entirely unrelated practice that I'd heard good reports of. They weren't happy about me not being registered with them but eventually agreed to see us, although I was told we'd have to transfer to them and they would request the records from my usual vet when they opened the next day. They never actually did this though, as I went to my normal vets on Saturday and mentioned it, and they knew nothing! They didn't mind, but the new one did :? So there's definitely different rules depending on the practice!

I have 3 vets (two are the same practice but different branches). They're fine about it and it maximises the buns' chances of seeing the rabbit savvy vet at each practice on any particular day. If a specific bun has had a problem I try to take them to the same vet for the sake of continuity/charting changes, but generally I use all three for different purposes/reasons and they're happy with that...:wave:

I wouldn't stick with a vet that wouldn't answer my questions - after all, we pay their wage, they should be providing us with all the necessary information about any particular procedure. I wouldn't trust a vet that wouldn't discuss this information with me.

Back