• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has tried bonding to a bonded pair? (good vs bad examples)

mattyp

Warren Veteran
For example adding one into a pair, or a pair into a quad and so on!

I am just curious as to how often the bonds fail? Or who has tried and now has to keep seperate buns?

Any information really, it's one of those areas I have no idea about and i'd like to know incase one day I decide i'd like to give some more rabbits a home.:p

I bonded Eli in to my pair of girls.
The bond was a very easy one and I would say my three actually work better together than my pair did :)

I have bonded two pairs into a quad. I originally tried to bond one into a bond of three which broke the bond and I ended up with two couples. But now they are back to quad. :)

I bonded Eli in to my pair of girls.
The bond was a very easy one and I would say my three actually work better together than my pair did :)

How would you describe their personalities? Marvin and Maisie have quite a close bond and flop and groom fairly often, but they also spend a lot of time apart when fully awake. Maisie will often be found at the top of the stairs asleep as that's her safe spot form Marvin (he's too fat to fit through the baby gate!). This leads me to believe that because they aren't perminantly attached and always playing together that a third bun wouldn't break their bond.

This is all speculation of course :?

In a trio isn't it usually that when bonding a single to a pair or a single to a trio 1 or 2 buns will accept the new one and it's usually one who upsets the bonding(?)
Have no idea as I am having enough problems bonding Pie and Obie - 3 months in and counting :( :roll:

How would you describe their personalities? Marvin and Maisie have quite a close bond and flop and groom fairly often, but they also spend a lot of time apart when fully awake. Maisie will often be found at the top of the stairs asleep as that's her safe spot form Marvin (he's too fat to fit through the baby gate!). This leads me to believe that because they aren't perminantly attached and always playing together that a third bun wouldn't break their bond.

This is all speculation of course :?

When lola and Rambo were together they were similar to yours, they'd spend a lot of time together but also a lot of time apart. Rambo used to get quite annoyed with lola's constant demand for grooming/attention so she'd often ****** off if lola got too close.

Now they are a trio-
Lola is happier because she's got Eli who will just lie there while she grooms him and who will usually groom her if she asks.
Rambo likes lola more because she's not as demanding now, Rambo can just join in snuggles and grooming when she wants to.
It might sound from the outside like Rambo is left out somewhat but she does spend a lot of time with one or both of the other bunnies and clearly loves them, she's just a lot more independent and likes to be on her own more than the others.

When lola and Rambo were together they were similar to yours, they'd spend a lot of time together but also a lot of time apart. Rambo used to get quite annoyed with lola's constant demand for grooming/attention so she'd often ****** off if lola got too close.

Now they are a trio-
Lola is happier because she's got Eli who will just lie there while she grooms him and who will usually groom her if she asks.
Rambo likes lola more because she's not as demanding now, Rambo can just join in snuggles and grooming when she wants to.
It might sound from the outside like Rambo is left out somewhat but she does spend a lot of time with one or both of the other bunnies and clearly loves them, she's just a lot more independent and likes to be on her own more than the others.

That's interesting because Maisie is always bothering Marvin for attention, but all he does is mount her which just irritates her. I wonder if maybe Marvin had another female (or maybe even a male) to share his urge for humping on if they'd be better friends......maybe i'm living in a dream world though :lol:

Good question, I'm wondering what to do with Nutmeg ie whether to get another bn and have two pairs - which i can't really afford accommodation wise - or whether to risk bonding her as a trio with Joe & Jess.

Joe & Jess absolutely adore each other, I even had to take Jess to join Joe in the animal hospital as she was pioning for him and he'd only been gone a couple of nights but they also spend a fair bit of time apart too, they'll often be opposite ends of the run or one upstairs one downstairs.

My main concern is somebun being left out, especially if it was one of the original pair as the left out one would be so upset :?

I bonded Chloe in with Poppy and Charlie (bonded pair)
Poppy bullied Chloe really badly so I had to separate after a few months :(

I tried, I can link you the threads if you like. Basically we got very very close but ultimately it fell apart. Once Nutmeg got a bit more settled she randomly started going for M&M.

We bonded Milly with Snowy and Jessica. It was fairly easy but Snowy and Jessica were used to being a trio, Jess was in the group until she died. The old trio were very stable, and initially Milly chased Jessica but they are settled now and although I see Snowy and Milly grooming most, they all groom each other at various times.
Snowy is a boy, Jessica and Milly are girls ( Snowy and Milly are blind).

:wave:

I bonded a pair with another pair just two months ago,
from start to finish it took a week (slept downstairs with them for the first 3 nights 'just incase'!)

Its a good bond, but I think the bunnys had a bit of stress as malc started sneezing and Maud looked a bit 'down' :cry: (ok after a vet trip tho)

M&M had a VERY strong bond before I bonded them with C&C, and although it 'wavered' a bit I'd say its getting back to how it was before.

With the set up I have, all the bunnies can be apart if they want, but I've found in the last week or so that they tend to stay in thier original pairs...ie M&M and C&C :D

I tried, I can link you the threads if you like. Basically we got very very close but ultimately it fell apart. Once Nutmeg got a bit more settled she randomly started going for M&M.

I think i've seen it before Schuette! Am I correct in believing that you are wanting to try again though?

And halfpenny do you think that 2 boys and a girl works better than say 2 boys?

I had a bonded pair and then got Mr B with the intention of bonding him into my pair. After him being in the house for a few days and me being really careful the pair caught sight of him and immediately fought. I havent been able to rebond them as a pair or with another bunny since.

If you have a bonded pair my advise would be to leave them be and not risk losing the bond by introducing another bunny.

I have twice bonded a female into a male female pair. It was the same male each time. Both times Floppy was the boy. His brother died and we got Mittens as a partner for him. We then got Millie free on Gumtree and bonded her with floppy an mittens. Mittens was pts and bonded Starfish with Floppy and Millie.

The second was interesting to watch. If Millie tried any nonsense and went for Starfish, Floppy was immediately in between them and keeping the peace. He can now be seen grooming both of them and the girls are seen grooming each other. I am happy they are very settled as a trio now and it was an easy bond!

I think i've seen it before Schuette! Am I correct in believing that you are wanting to try again though?

I can't really say, all my bonds have been 2 girls with one boy. My first buns were benji ( wildie neutered boy ) with Bramble and Clover ( 2 dwarf lop un- neutered girls), then Snowy, Jessica, Jess and after Jess- Milly.
In my head I think a boy with 2 girls would be more successful but that's just because with most other species this is a better combination than 2 boys with a girl.

I had a bonded pair and then got Mr B with the intention of bonding him into my pair. After him being in the house for a few days and me being really careful the pair caught sight of him and immediately fought. I havent been able to rebond them as a pair or with another bunny since.

If you have a bonded pair my advise would be to leave them be and not risk losing the bond by introducing another bunny.

That's what my OH thinks that the existing bond would break down.

Maybe I should shelf the idea of getting a third rabbit and just enjoy the two I have :D

I think it must depend on how 'protected' rabbits are as to whether referred aggression occurs. I have never suffered from referred aggression problems but have 15 rabbits and before we became a sanctuary were fosterers so I guess the rabbits are used to changes and up until a few years ago various rabbits coming and going. The only pair I suspected may have had issues were Sorrell and Ziggy but Sorrell is a very neurotic bin and Ziggy had severe issues!

I dunno. Sometimes I think 'yes definitely' sometimes I think 'not broke, don't fix it'. :oops: So who knows. :p

Back