• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poo! Help! UD/ He's clean!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
What's the best way to remove a lot of poo from a rabbit's bum? Bare in mind that this is a 3.25kg rabbit who hates being poked and prodded and has already damaged the tendon in my left arm by kicking me when I was cleaning his nose the other day. He did this while he was wrapped "securely" in a towel.

Do I try and wrap him in a towel again and use scissors? I don't think baby wipes would help at all, there is over a golf ball's worth there, some dry some squishy. All over his balls and bum, so I'd have to be so careful with the scissors and he might kick. But I have done it before this way, just not on such an extreme level.

Or I can bath him. But he can be very stressy and has snuffles so teh stress might make it worse. I'd have to sit in the bath with him to hold him and I would only bathe his bum. Either way will stress him out and hurt me but there are flies outside...

Or I take him to the vets. :?

Ugh.

Erm, this is a tough one, as Grim will get stressed going to the vets, but will get stressed while you burrito him again :(

I hope someone else can come up with an idea for you Jenova.

Half of me wants to leave him as I know how stressed he gets. But if he gets flystrike I'll never forgive myself and what if the poo is blocking his bum and he can't poo? :?

Plus my arm really hurts...

I think I'm going for the burrito method and baby wipes an scissors.

Wish me luck.... :(

Half of me wants to leave him as I know how stressed he gets. But if he gets flystrike I'll never forgive myself and what if the poo is blocking his bum and he can't poo? :?

Plus my arm really hurts...

I think I'm going for the burrito method and baby wipes an scissors.

Wish me luck.... :(

Totally feel for you :(

Good Luck Jenova, will be thinking of you!

If bunny burrito does not work or he gets stressed take him to the vets and have a couple of vet nurses cut it out. If he struggles and you catch his 'bits' or anything I know you'd feel really bad. Hope it goes well. :wave:

This is what I used to have to do with Nancy, although she was placid. Either put her bum under a warm basin tap, or basin of water and soak it and wipe off with paper towels.

Or if she was stressed, a small hand towel soaked in warm water and slowly get it off, when sitting down. Then dry her with a dry towel.

Last edited:
There is golf ball sized lump of poo hanging off one testicle and another huge dry lump on his tail. I can't cut it off, it's on his ball. But it must be so heavy dangling there. I don't know long I'd have to soak him to get it off.

Aaagh. This is really not what we both need right now. :cry:

There is golf ball sized lump of poo hanging off one testicle and another huge dry lump on his tail. I can't cut it off, it's on his ball. But it must be so heavy dangling there. I don't know long I'd have to soak him to get it off.

:(

Could you give the vets a call to ask for any recommendations?

Can you dunk his bottom in a washing up bowl with warm water so it softens and at least comes away from his testicle.

Why do our animals cause us so much worry.

I've just rung the vets but my vet is on the phone so they're ringing me back. I don't know if bathing him will aggravate the snuffles.

I'd literally have to run a shallow bath and sit in it with him. I physically can;t hold him in a washing up bowl as he freaks out. I have to have his bum between my crossed legs in teh bath and his head under my arm.

Vet just rang back, she said try the bath first. Here goes nothing. :?

When sootys had a messy bum I soak a towel in warm water put it on the table and sit him with his bum on it for a little bit. Don't know whether that would be enough for to help get it off? I find doing this less stressful than bathing his bum but it just softens it a little to make it easier to tease it out.

What's the best way to remove a lot of poo from a rabbit's bum? Bare in mind that this is a 3.25kg rabbit who hates being poked and prodded and has already damaged the tendon in my left arm by kicking me when I was cleaning his nose the other day. He did this while he was wrapped "securely" in a towel.

Do I try and wrap him in a towel again and use scissors? I don't think baby wipes would help at all, there is over a golf ball's worth there, some dry some squishy. All over his balls and bum, so I'd have to be so careful with the scissors and he might kick. But I have done it before this way, just not on such an extreme level.

Or I can bath him. But he can be very stressy and has snuffles so teh stress might make it worse. I'd have to sit in the bath with him to hold him and I would only bathe his bum. Either way will stress him out and hurt me but there are flies outside...

Or I take him to the vets. :?

Ive had this problem with one of mine. he has very long fur so its a real strugle for us. but i think we have found a bit of a solution. we dont have hay in his hutch anymore ,only enough for him to eat. I just rip up loads of news paper and fill the hutch with it which he loves playing with. when we do have to clean him I have him on his back between my legs stroking his head and my partner uses clippers and scissors. he hates it but once I have him calm we have a good 20 nins to get it done before he gets too stressed. I find if we clean the worst of it he will then finnish it off when he goes back in his hutch. hope this helps.....

Ive had this problem with one of mine. he has very long fur so its a real strugle for us. but i think we have found a bit of a solution. we dont have hay in his hutch anymore ,only enough for him to eat. I just rip up loads of news paper and fill the hutch with it which he loves playing with. when we do have to clean him I have him on his back between my legs stroking his head and my partner uses clippers and scissors. he hates it but once I have him calm we have a good 20 nins to get it done before he gets too stressed. I find if we clean the worst of it he will then finnish it off when he goes back in his hutch. hope this helps.....

Thanks. :)
I only have hay in the litter trays, I think it's the antibiotics that have caused it this time, but I don't understand how he got it stuck to his testicle. He had one huge lump on his bum but this was completely separate. :?

Anyway, teh good news is... He's clean!
I look like I've been self harming; I have scratches all over my arms, the tops of my legs, my stomach and my chest, but Grim is poo free. It actually went better than I thought it would. He wouldn't put his back feet in the water so he had all four paws on my left leg and his bum hanging over into the water which meant I could hook his head under my left arm and hold him with that arm which didn't hurt it too much and then use my right hand to work away at the poo. I had to empty the bath once and re fill it because it was making me feel sick sitting in all the pooey water. :lol: His ball looked a little pink when I was done but he doesn't seem in pain and he's on antibiotics anyway so I'm sure he'll be fine, and he's not too mad with me either. I put him down in the bathroom, dried him with a towel and then went straight in the shower while he cleaned himself. I felt so dirty!

Thanks everyone for your support! :wave:

:thumb:

Well done Jenova. I know that must of been difficult. Sounds like you did wonderfully well!

Sorry i haven't yet replied to your PM, i will do, promise!

Thanks. :)
I only have hay in the litter trays, I think it's the antibiotics that have caused it this time, but I don't understand how he got it stuck to his testicle. He had one huge lump on his bum but this was completely separate. :?

Anyway, teh good news is... He's clean!
I look like I've been self harming; I have scratches all over my arms, the tops of my legs, my stomach and my chest, but Grim is poo free. It actually went better than I thought it would. He wouldn't put his back feet in the water so he had all four paws on my left leg and his bum hanging over into the water which meant I could hook his head under my left arm and hold him with that arm which didn't hurt it too much and then use my right hand to work away at the poo. I had to empty the bath once and re fill it because it was making me feel sick sitting in all the pooey water. :lol: His ball looked a little pink when I was done but he doesn't seem in pain and he's on antibiotics anyway so I'm sure he'll be fine, and he's not too mad with me either. I put him down in the bathroom, dried him with a towel and then went straight in the shower while he cleaned himself. I felt so dirty!

Thanks everyone for your support! :wave:

Phew :wave:

Next time wear a long sleeved t-shirt type thing. I can imagine the bath water as Nancy's pooey bottom would make the basin water very dark brown and it stinks.

:thumb:

Well done Jenova. I know that must of been difficult. Sounds like you did wonderfully well!

Sorry i haven't yet replied to your PM, i will do, promise!

Well let's just put it this way, I'm now ready for the easy part of may day: revising fourier synthesis, pointwise image processing and linear and morphological filtering. :lol:

I thought you did reply to my PM... I though I was the one who hadn't replied to that. My brain hurts.

Back