• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE can Bumble have some vibes *very upsetting picture*

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
My little Hammy, Bumble was attacked by his brother last night. It's the first and only fight they've ever had. :cry::cry:

He's in such a bad way. I rushed him straight to the vets this morning. They fitted me in right away.....and managed to decipher my hysterics into words.

I was convinced he was going to have to be put to sleep....but he hopefully is going to make a full recovery. I have metacam and baytril for him.

002-23.jpg

I honestly didn't think I'd come back from the vets with him. :cry::cry::cry:

I still feel so sick to my stomach. :cry::cry:

He's nestled in my hand right now, as he didn't want to sleep anywhere else. Just wandered about aimlessly until I held my hand out for him. I guess it's warm.
I'll get him a heatpad for under the cage for later.

The poor soul!!!

I have a spare snugglesafe if you need - and also a professional electric vet pad to go in a cage.

I could pop over later if you wanted (would have to be quick).

Do you have a spare cage for him or would you like one of my travel carriers like the one I was keeping Pippin in (he has transferred to a large hamster cage!)

PS easier if you ring me as am trying to stay off RU as need to get lectures etc finished - just popped on to see how Starlights lot were and saw you on.

You have my mobile number????

If not PM and I will give . . . though that means me popping back on to RU to check PMs:lol::lol::lol:

The poor soul!!!

I have a spare snugglesafe if you need - and also a professional electric vet pad to go in a cage.

I could pop over later if you wanted (would have to be quick).

Do you have a spare cage for him or would you like one of my travel carriers like the one I was keeping Pippin in (he has transferred to a large hamster cage!)

I have a new cage for him, so he's fine in that respect. I'd love to borrow a snugglesafe. I was going to run out and buy one.

I can come to you, so I can feed Pippin a few times after lunch, if it'd help. The vet promised me that the wounds are superficial, and all he needs is sleep (and the meds, of course.)
You're so busy I wouldn't ask you to bring it over for me.

Thank you so much for the offer.

Vibes for Bumble poor little chap.

When our hamster was poorly we heated a human wheaty bag and packed it around the bottom of the cage on the outside to provide extra warmth in the nest area, a folded towel helped to secure it.

Little Bumble has hobbled into his grass house, after nibbling a bit of banana. I think I'll make him some eggs up later.

He's so small there isn't a dose of metacam small enough. :( It should be half a drop, but that's impossible, so I have to give him a drop. (and take him back if he has poo issues.) 0.05ml of Baytril a day.
....he's so teenie.

Vibes for Bumble poor little chap.

When our hamster was poorly we heated a human wheaty bag and packed it around the bottom of the cage on the outside to provide extra warmth in the nest area, a folded towel helped to secure it.

Thank you!! I don't have a wheaty here unfortunately. :oops: I leant it to my Step mum yesterday!:roll:

I'm getting the snugglesafe off Twigs a bit later. He's in a warm room at the moment.

It's always improvisation at our house! We have a snugglesafe now but will I be able to find it when I need it??????

Hope he's taking his meds ok, ours would sometimes take it straight from the end of the syringe but othertimes I mixed it with a tiny bit of porrige on a teaspoon which she enjoyed.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

Awwwwe poor poor little bumble & poor you:cry:Hope he makes a speedy recovery.I went through something similar.5 years ago I woke up to find one of my degus had attacked the other 2,it was awful:cry:Because of that she has had to live life as a solitary degu which is awful because they need to be with others but I won't put another degu through what those 2 poor little mites went through as she clearly can't be trusted, she must get very lonely though:cry: sending tons of get well vibes for your teeny weeny chap:love:

Ali - if you want (and remind me when you are here) I can also provide some fresh bantam egg - very rich and sustaining!!

We do have a wheaty thing but I am always afraid they will just eat it!!

Ali - if you want (and remind me when you are here) I can also provide some fresh bantam egg - very rich and sustaining!!

We do have a wheaty thing but I am always afraid they will just eat it!!

Yes, I only used it on the outside of the cage for this reason.

Oh gosh, poor Bumble, that looks very sore but I'm so glad it's just superficial. It's surprising what they can bounce back from. :)

Best of luck with the meds. If you can hide it in food, it's a doddle - we ended up having to scruff Bailey (chinese hammy) to give him his. :roll::lol:

Oh gosh, poor Bumble, that looks very sore but I'm so glad it's just superficial. It's surprising what they can bounce back from. :)

Best of luck with the meds. If you can hide it in food, it's a doddle - we ended up having to scruff Bailey (chinese hammy) to give him his. :roll::lol:

I'm slightly worried how he'll eat hard food. He has such a stiff face and looks really sore. Can I soften it, like you can with buns food.

I'm going to supplement it with egg, porridge and banana, as getting something in him is so important.
...might go have a look on a hammy forum.

Back