• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I be concerned?

MarieAnson

Warren Scout
Morning Everyone!

I noticed this morning that the size of my buns poops are different from usual.
They are slightly smaller than when he arrived on Sunday evening, there are also some very small ones. All still nicely former and no signs of mucus or anything else too alarming.

Given what happened to me with my last bun (suddenly dying) I am very wary of anything that changes.
Is it something to monitor and should I do anything other than increase buns fibre intake and maybe reduce the pellets for a while?

Could it also be due to stress, given that he is in a new home, with a new family and new surroundings?

He is definitely eating pellets and occasionally I have seen him munching on the alfalfa ring of hay that is suspended in this eating area.

He doesn't seem to bothered with the Timothy hay that I have out.

His previous owner trained him with treats and I do think my bun has a very sweet tooth, given that when you shake the box of treats he comes running from his hiding place and sits on his back legs as if begging!

Maybe try a different hay and reduce pellets usually smaller poops can mean that the gut is a bit slow.

I have heard that alfafa needs to be given in moderation to adult buns :wave:

I started using Hay 4 Pets they have a website if you google them, the buns seem to love their hay.

i wouldn't say it's panic stations yet, just monitor and up the hay, do you feed veg?

He should have his pellets in one sitting, so an eggcup full at one point in the day. He shouldn't graze on his pellets. By having his pellets in that way he should then graze on hay for a lot of the remaining time.

I would get him into hay eating, maybe buy some other hays and use a bit of each so he can forage for the bits he likes. Maybe mix the pellets into his hay so he has to dig and eat through the hay for them.

I would also avoid any rabbit 'treats' for a while. They aren't necessary and hay is vital. Should help with the sweet tooth problem for a while.

As I only took in this bun on Sunday evening I am not too sure what he yet likes and dislikes regarding veggies. His previous owner had a few pieces of sliced apple in his feeding bowl when I went to see him and I tried him with a small slice yesterday and he did eat some.

He also had a carrot in his dish but didn't even bother with it.

My previous bun loved spinach and rocket leaves but I am a little anxious as to what to introduce into this buns diet. I would ask his previous owner but he English is so limited and when I asked her questions she didn't understand me. (she is Chinese).

As I only took in this bun on Sunday evening I am not too sure what he yet likes and dislikes regarding veggies. His previous owner had a few pieces of sliced apple in his feeding bowl when I went to see him and I tried him with a small slice yesterday and he did eat some.

He also had a carrot in his dish but didn't even bother with it.

My previous bun loved spinach and rocket leaves but I am a little anxious as to what to introduce into this buns diet. I would ask his previous owner but he English is so limited and when I asked her questions she didn't understand me. (she is Chinese).

I would cut out fruit if he likes the treats. Fruit is high in sugar. Also cut out the carrots. Go for herbs and greens.

Parsely, thyme, rosemary, coriander, basil, rocket, spring greens.

Introduce one at a time and do it over a period of a few days, monitor his poops to make sure he doesn't get an upset tummy.

I doubt he will have likes and dislikes, he will just need a bit of time to learn about all these nice new noms.

Start at the beginning :wave:

Back