• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor Buggles

Dandelion101

Young Bun
Hi everyone, am so worried about my poor lil buggles I took him to the vets yesterday to have his remaining teeth filed and a tummy clip but unfortunately he had a bad reaction to the aneasetic this time, they managed to bring him back and it's been touch and go, they are feeding him through a tube at tge moment and have a canula in too. I am so worried bout him am waiting to call the vets this morning as he has been in critical care all evening.
He has been through so much when I rescued him he was in such a mess he had a bad cold, matted beyond belief and the worst case of ingrown teeth the vet had ever seen, but he has been such a loving little boy to me I just hope he is ok.
Bunny mum to bugs, Gordon, pickles, Robert and piggy mum to binky meg and chilla mum to missy.

Awe sending huge vibes for your little fellow:love:Hope you get positive news today.hugs to you as well.x

A quick update on lil buggles, vet says he is now sitting up he came off of oxygen at 8pm last night and has not needed it, he has had one syringe feed this morning so starting to swallow again, we're not out of the woods by any means but atleast he's looking better, so we still keep our front paws crossed and hope, thanks so much for your kind support it means so very much. Xxxxxx

Update on Buggles,

He has made some good progress over the last 24 hours he still isn't great by any means really snuffly and sometimes finds it a little hard to breath with the congestion. He is home with me this eve to see if being in his own enviroment helps him. I have bags of meds poor lil man. Some of his sight has returned and he moves around but sometimes stumbles as all his functions not 100% yet. I will be syringe feeding him tonight with critical care and he has his meds for me to give him too. I can't pull myself from his hutch in the front room as i have nothing to gauge his progress on visually as the last time i saw him properly he was happy and hopping around so to see him like this is somewhat worrying to say the least, but i guess least his progress is in the right direction.

crikey i will be a nervous wreck by the morning.

Once again thanks for the kind support don't know how i would cope without you guys. xxxxxx

It will be so scary looking after him tonight but at least you can see how he's doing and cuddle him when he needs it. He's probably a lot happier being at home. Really hoping he picks up. :)

I'm glad Buggles has improved enough to come home. I hope being in familiar surroundings will help his recovery. Sending lots of vibes for Buggles xx

Hi guys another buggles update, wat a night up every hour or so just checking in the poor fella his breathing was a bit raspy up until 2am but now a lot leaa noisy and he doesn't seem to be using as much effort to breath. He's had his meds last night but for love nor money would he take his critical food, so as the vets said I didn't force him too much so to stress him. This morning he has had his meds pretty much trouble free but still no luck with the critical care food, have gotta update the vet at 850 this am, to sort out a time for him to go into day to atleast have an antibiotic injection to help clear his lungs some more. I just hope my evil boss at work is understanding today and gives me some of my leave to take him in. They will then make the decision wether his nasal tube needs to go back in to feed him meaning more nights away poor buggar.

A question guys...tell me if I'm being selfish with my love for this poor little chap at what point do I decide what the best thing is, Crikey this is just so hard xxxxxx

Bet that was a long night for you. With his breathing being easier at least you know something is improving. My rabbit wouldn't look at CC, the vet was able to syringe it to her but when I tried at home, there was just no way she was having it.
I think you'll know yourself if the time comes to stop trying with him, he seems like a fighter so maybe another day or two unless the vet advises you otherwise. Such a hard decision to make. When I was in the same position I kept wishing someone would make the decision for me, doesn't work like that though does it. You're doing so much for this wee scrap, you and him deserve a break, hope you get it today. xx

I'm glad to hear he's making progress, I know exactly how you feel, I've been so stressed with worry over my bunny. And like you wondering when exactly is the time to say it's in poor bunnies best interests to just let them go. It's such a hard decision to make, you don't want them to suffer but at the same time you want to give them the best chance they have at getting better. There's always this doubt that they just might've lived another year or more!!

As Rabkat said, I think we will know when the time is right. So long as bunny isn't in pain, depressed and declining daily I think we should give them a chance. If it comes to the worst will you get the vet to visit your home? That's what I've been thinking, I can't bare to think of putting him through the stress of going to the vets only to be put down. :cry:

Anyway, where there's life there's hope as they say. Fingers crossed Buggles continues to do well, with all your love and care I'm sure he has the best possible chance (and my bun wouldn't have his Critical Care either!!! Just makes us worry more doesn't it?!)

A question guys...tell me if I'm being selfish with my love for this poor little chap at what point do I decide what the best thing is, Crikey this is just so hard xxxxxx

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with him.

For me, time to let go is when bunny isn't enoying life anymore, or is having more bad days than good. When they're only being kept alive through an amount of medical intervention which is causing suffering in itself.

But really you can't apply a logical decision to these things, it's different for each animal, hopefully you will "know" when the time comes.

I thought I "knew" but have doubted it since. But you have to do what you think is best at the time, and accept that there's no way of knowing what the alternative might have been.

Someone said to me - it's better to think you may have let them go slightly too soon, than to know that you left it far too late. Maybe not everyone will agree with that. But it helped me a little.

Will be thinking of you and Buggles at this difficult time - he is a lucky bunny, you are obviously doing everything possible for him.

Back