• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

abi2047

Mama Doe
Can someone tell me how to teach baby rabbits to be litter trained? If they're 100% litter trained then mum will allow them to stay in my bedroom with Riley. Riley is already litter trained. :wave:

You need to start of with them in just a small space. Put the litter tray where they decide to go to the toilet, preferably with some of the soiled bedding in there too. With Oscar this too about a week of him constantly moving it around :roll:

Once they use the litter tray in a small space, gradually increase the space- you may still get the odd poos though. We gave Oscar the full room too quickly and there was poo and wee everywhere :shock::shock: Keep hay only near litter trays too- where there is hay there is poo! At least here there is. They poo in their hay rack, in the bag of hay :roll::roll:

All could be undone if they do pick it up once their hormones kick in though, so make sure you get them spayed as soon as :wave:

i put stan in a small area with vet bed lining it and a litter try with litter in bottom and hay on top in one corner and one he used it increase the space dont know if this will help but good luck :D

It'll be much easier if they're in a confined space, even just for a week or 2.
Put any poops/peed on stuff in the litter tray and eventually they should get the idea. Well, thats what I done :).x

Like Toni (tiger_lily) says :thumb:. You may also notice as hormones kick in and you have to separate the buns; hence they'll have to run about at different times. They will do territory poos where ever the other bunny has been.

Just make sure you keep a neutral area for bonding, where no bun goes or has been. xx

Should I wait until their hormones have kicked in and they've been spayed before I start litter training?

Should I wait until their hormones have kicked in and they've been spayed before I start litter training?

Still try now, with Oscar he picked it up within a couple of weeks and never really got hormonal, even up to 6 months. You may want a few litter trays though, we had 3 round the room! :lol:

Still try now, with Oscar he picked it up within a couple of weeks and never really got hormonal, even up to 6 months. You may want a few litter trays though, we had 3 round the room! :lol:

Only got the 1 spare litter tray, one is in with the piggies and the other is in with Riley. Will have to go to wilko and pick up some more. :D

One of my bunnies will not litter train; that would be Jemimah. I have to have tarpaulin down under ikea road mats so it doesn't ruin the carpet in my rented house. She just won't train, she goes in the litter tray but almost always misses.

Sadly not all buns readily litter train, can be very annoying.

Only got the 1 spare litter tray, one is in with the piggies and the other is in with Riley. Will have to go to wilko and pick up some more. :D

The ammount of times I had to nip to town to get more litter trays :roll: :lol::lol:

We only have two now- both in their cage, and they are pretty good- one is where they pee in the corner, and one is under the hay rack to catch all the poos! :lol::lol: Go for the big ones with high sides, Oscar had a habit of going over the side of the litter tray...
As Steph says though, some buns will just refuse to be litter trained, so you have to watch it!

What would be the accommodation plans if/when they're all in your room then? Indoor buns are amazing :love: Noisy at night though!

The ammount of times I had to nip to town to get more litter trays :roll: :lol::lol:

We only have two now- both in their cage, and they are pretty good- one is where they pee in the corner, and one is under the hay rack to catch all the poos! :lol::lol: Go for the big ones with high sides, Oscar had a habit of going over the side of the litter tray...
As Steph says though, some buns will just refuse to be litter trained, so you have to watch it!

What would be the accommodation plans if/when they're all in your room then? Indoor buns are amazing :love: Noisy at night though!

I would either have a puppy pen for their base which they would only be shut in at night and when i'm not at home, or they would have a dog crate but I think a puppy pen will be the better option. It would be the puppy pen where you can get the plastic bases aswell.

I would either have a puppy pen for their base which they would only be shut in at night and when i'm not at home, or they would have a dog crate but I think a puppy pen will be the better option. It would be the puppy pen where you can get the plastic bases aswell.

Did you get the link for the puppy pen I sent you? You could always have a crate with a pen attached for when you're not there, plus the pens can be folded away when you are ;)

Make sure you go for a big crate too! I got one when I was home over christmas and it was too small and had bars across the bottom :? but getting a 42inch locally for summer of preloved :D

Did you get the link for the puppy pen I sent you? You could always have a crate with a pen attached for when you're not there, plus the pens can be folded away when you are ;)

Make sure you go for a big crate too! I got one when I was home over christmas and it was too small and had bars across the bottom :? but getting a 42inch locally for summer of preloved :D

Yeah i've book marked it. I think I'll go for the idea with the puppy pen attached to the dog crate as it gives them a 'more sheltered' area if you get what I mean, because the buns are small and the pen has an open top etc. :)

Yeah i've book marked it. I think I'll go for the idea with the puppy pen attached to the dog crate as it gives them a 'more sheltered' area if you get what I mean, because the buns are small and the pen has an open top etc. :)

Sounds good :) You could always try and put a second shelf in the crate too. I'm gonna be having a go at this once the new crate is here, so will let you know how it goes :wave:

I put a peice of newspaper on the floor in the main place Gracie wees and them so from newspaper to newspaper in a tray, then abit of metazorb, then put any tray where i want the litter to go and hope she stays trained lol x

Back